Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis

Posted by Linda C on 2/23/02 at 11:45 (074814)

I jumped off of a ladder from about 4' in the air. The next day I started having heel pain. My doctor diagnosed Plantar Fasciitis. What is your recommendation for quick recovery? Do you suggest staying off completely or do you have other recommendations?

Re: Plantar Fasciitis

Carole C in NOLA on 2/23/02 at 13:29 (074826)

I'm not a foot doctor, but as a fellow Plantar Fasciitis sufferer I can provide some input until a doctor answers your question.

First, read the heel pain book. The link to it is on this website (at the top of the page?); it's part of this website, and free. It explains conservative treatment, which means non-surgical treatments. These include such things as rest, anti-inflammatories, gentle stretching, icing, and never taking a single step barefoot or standing barefoot.

This condition can take a long time to heal, but it is to your advantage that you saw your doctor right away so you may heal faster. Did he prescribe an anti-inflammatory? that can be very helpful, especially at this stage. Also, if you are still experiencing swelling, ice your foot. This is easily done by placing your foot on a bag of frozen peas or other frozen vegetables.

Rest is very helpful to most of us. By rest, I don't mean getting in a wheelchair (that can cause problems of its own). However, I wouldn't walk any more than you have to, for now. When I'm hurting, I don't do any shopping, not even grocery shopping, and I don't exercise, but I do walk to the bathroom, and I go to work. My job does not involve much standing or walking usually. As I recover, I've added some shopping to my activities but I have not yet resumed exercise. If I overdo it, then I have to rest more.

Read the message board, and please continue to ask any questions you may have.

Carole C

Re: Plantar Fasciitis

Carole C in NOLA on 2/23/02 at 13:29 (074826)

I'm not a foot doctor, but as a fellow Plantar Fasciitis sufferer I can provide some input until a doctor answers your question.

First, read the heel pain book. The link to it is on this website (at the top of the page?); it's part of this website, and free. It explains conservative treatment, which means non-surgical treatments. These include such things as rest, anti-inflammatories, gentle stretching, icing, and never taking a single step barefoot or standing barefoot.

This condition can take a long time to heal, but it is to your advantage that you saw your doctor right away so you may heal faster. Did he prescribe an anti-inflammatory? that can be very helpful, especially at this stage. Also, if you are still experiencing swelling, ice your foot. This is easily done by placing your foot on a bag of frozen peas or other frozen vegetables.

Rest is very helpful to most of us. By rest, I don't mean getting in a wheelchair (that can cause problems of its own). However, I wouldn't walk any more than you have to, for now. When I'm hurting, I don't do any shopping, not even grocery shopping, and I don't exercise, but I do walk to the bathroom, and I go to work. My job does not involve much standing or walking usually. As I recover, I've added some shopping to my activities but I have not yet resumed exercise. If I overdo it, then I have to rest more.

Read the message board, and please continue to ask any questions you may have.

Carole C