Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Has anyone ever tried a arthritis creme?

Posted by Jane on 2/23/02 at 12:21 (074817)

I can't think of the name...but I think Zotrix(sp)....I got it written down in my purse...but I asked about it from my doctor for a IB cream and that is what he recommended...I know it's not a 'cure' but does it actually help?

Re: Has anyone ever tried a arthritis creme?

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/23/02 at 14:58 (074842)

Zostrix acts, in part, as a counter-irritant. It is basically a hot pepper cream, burns, so it somewhat interferes with your brain's perception of the deeper pain beneath the skin. Ibuprofen cream, I believe, is more effective because it has an active anit-inflammatory in it. You can obtain it (Dolgit cream) from the Life Extension Foundation
http://www.lef.org
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/23/02 at 14:59 (074844)

Oops, just noticed that Scott is also selling it on this site.
Ed

John h on 2/23/02 at 18:15 (074860)

Dr. Davis I dare you to name an arthritis creame I have not tried including some that have set my feet on fire. My latest is the 'Super Blue Stuff'. Emu oil is one of my ventures (wendy's favorite). Arthoflex will make you moon walk it is so hot. You will forget about PF if you try Tiger Balm and call the fire dept. And you must try Australian oil of eucalyptus.

Re: What ever happened with the blue stuff, John?

Valerie S on 2/23/02 at 18:52 (074866)

Just curious... I was really hoping you would find some relief.

Val.

nancy s. on 2/23/02 at 19:14 (074868)

john, you remain a riot.
and no wonder i had trouble with that tiger balm. i forgot to call the fire dept.

Re: Pepper cream

Carmen H on 2/24/02 at 13:01 (074923)

Capascin (sp?) also works well. for me it did.

Pat P on 2/25/02 at 10:46 (074993)

Help! Dial 911! Emergency emergency! You all are under arrest for even mentioning these products! I was in agony last night when I read this thread and all I could remember when I got to Walmart this morning was Tiger Balm and Zostrix. They were out of Tiger Balm so I got the Zostrix and put it on my heels and on my ankles. It burned a hole in my Cam walker! It sure has made me forget the phillips head screw drivers I had stuck in my heels! Maybe I will slip it in the medicine cabinet where my husband keeps his Preparation H and see if it works on his hemorrhoids.

Re: Pepper cream - Pat and husband - OUCH !!! eom

Julie on 2/26/02 at 03:05 (075069)

Pam B on 2/26/02 at 06:50 (075077)

Man, your hubby better learn to read before inserting huh????? LOL.... this reminds me of a friend of mine that used bengay on his back and went back to work in the summer and started sweating!!!!!! well, the friend is of the male species, need I say more about what part of his body took the brunt of this mistake :) I can tell you he will not even allow bengay in his house anymore :):):):)

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/23/02 at 14:58 (074842)

Zostrix acts, in part, as a counter-irritant. It is basically a hot pepper cream, burns, so it somewhat interferes with your brain's perception of the deeper pain beneath the skin. Ibuprofen cream, I believe, is more effective because it has an active anit-inflammatory in it. You can obtain it (Dolgit cream) from the Life Extension Foundation
http://www.lef.org
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/23/02 at 14:59 (074844)

Oops, just noticed that Scott is also selling it on this site.
Ed

John h on 2/23/02 at 18:15 (074860)

Dr. Davis I dare you to name an arthritis creame I have not tried including some that have set my feet on fire. My latest is the 'Super Blue Stuff'. Emu oil is one of my ventures (wendy's favorite). Arthoflex will make you moon walk it is so hot. You will forget about PF if you try Tiger Balm and call the fire dept. And you must try Australian oil of eucalyptus.

Re: What ever happened with the blue stuff, John?

Valerie S on 2/23/02 at 18:52 (074866)

Just curious... I was really hoping you would find some relief.

Val.

nancy s. on 2/23/02 at 19:14 (074868)

john, you remain a riot.
and no wonder i had trouble with that tiger balm. i forgot to call the fire dept.

Carmen H on 2/24/02 at 13:01 (074923)

Capascin (sp?) also works well. for me it did.

Pat P on 2/25/02 at 10:46 (074993)

Help! Dial 911! Emergency emergency! You all are under arrest for even mentioning these products! I was in agony last night when I read this thread and all I could remember when I got to Walmart this morning was Tiger Balm and Zostrix. They were out of Tiger Balm so I got the Zostrix and put it on my heels and on my ankles. It burned a hole in my Cam walker! It sure has made me forget the phillips head screw drivers I had stuck in my heels! Maybe I will slip it in the medicine cabinet where my husband keeps his Preparation H and see if it works on his hemorrhoids.

Julie on 2/26/02 at 03:05 (075069)

Pam B on 2/26/02 at 06:50 (075077)

Man, your hubby better learn to read before inserting huh????? LOL.... this reminds me of a friend of mine that used bengay on his back and went back to work in the summer and started sweating!!!!!! well, the friend is of the male species, need I say more about what part of his body took the brunt of this mistake :) I can tell you he will not even allow bengay in his house anymore :):):):)