Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF and Caffiene

Posted by Jane on 2/23/02 at 12:36 (074818)

just wondering if the use of caffiene or the amount of it in a day affects PF....just wondering on some of your thoughts....what about weight too?

Re: PF and Caffiene

Carole C in NOLA on 2/23/02 at 13:02 (074822)

I haven't noticed any difference with caffeine from day to day, although I only vary from 0-3 cups of coffee at the most (because I can't sleep if I drink much more). I'll try to stay more aware of what effect it might have, though! Any caffeinated drink that causes water retention, or anything else that causes water retention, seems to aggravate my PF slightly.

About weight... I was very concerned about the role that weight played in causing my PF initially. I lost 83 pounds over a year and a half period, on Weight Watchers, before I felt my first symptoms of PF. For a while, I thought that maybe losing weight had messed up my stride due to the changes in how my body balances while walking (most of the weight loss was off my stomach, so my center of gravity is further back now). Then, having been brought up with plenty of self blaming in my psychology, and with a little egging on by my big brother, I thought that the PF was due to the fact that I am only about half done in my weight loss. I talked to my doctor about that and he said NO... that obesity can cause PF, but that in my case it is due to the fact that I had been trying pretty hard to step up the exercise because I was in a weight loss plateau. Since I'm not used to exercise, I did some stupid things like cycling barefoot, stressing my tendons, and ignoring pain.

OK, so my PF may not have been caused by my obesity, but is it affected by changes in my weight? I am still on Weight Watchers and have lost a little weight since I got PF, but I have found it is very hard to lose during this time. PF is depressing, and all I can do is sit, and my anti-inflammatory causes some water retention. So, I have found that for me PF affects weight loss more than the reverse.

Carole C

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/23/02 at 14:53 (074841)

I do not think there is any more or less heel pain here in the Seattle area--home of Starbucks and the caffeine capital of America.
Ed

Carole C in NOLA on 2/23/02 at 13:02 (074822)

I haven't noticed any difference with caffeine from day to day, although I only vary from 0-3 cups of coffee at the most (because I can't sleep if I drink much more). I'll try to stay more aware of what effect it might have, though! Any caffeinated drink that causes water retention, or anything else that causes water retention, seems to aggravate my PF slightly.

About weight... I was very concerned about the role that weight played in causing my PF initially. I lost 83 pounds over a year and a half period, on Weight Watchers, before I felt my first symptoms of PF. For a while, I thought that maybe losing weight had messed up my stride due to the changes in how my body balances while walking (most of the weight loss was off my stomach, so my center of gravity is further back now). Then, having been brought up with plenty of self blaming in my psychology, and with a little egging on by my big brother, I thought that the PF was due to the fact that I am only about half done in my weight loss. I talked to my doctor about that and he said NO... that obesity can cause PF, but that in my case it is due to the fact that I had been trying pretty hard to step up the exercise because I was in a weight loss plateau. Since I'm not used to exercise, I did some stupid things like cycling barefoot, stressing my tendons, and ignoring pain.

OK, so my PF may not have been caused by my obesity, but is it affected by changes in my weight? I am still on Weight Watchers and have lost a little weight since I got PF, but I have found it is very hard to lose during this time. PF is depressing, and all I can do is sit, and my anti-inflammatory causes some water retention. So, I have found that for me PF affects weight loss more than the reverse.

Carole C

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/23/02 at 14:53 (074841)

I do not think there is any more or less heel pain here in the Seattle area--home of Starbucks and the caffeine capital of America.
Ed