Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Achillies tendon

Posted by Kathryn R. on 2/23/02 at 13:25 (074825)

How did sprained ankle become a complete rupture of achillies tendon? I was told I had sprained ankle and torn ligament, I was sent to Physical Therapy. Then MRI showed complete rupture of achillies tendon. I had surgery and my foot only gets worse. 21 months has gone by and I get no direct answers from my doctor. I need to know how serious my problem is.Even my calf from knee down has become bad. Please HELP!!!!!!! I have three months to find out.

Re: Achillies tendon

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/23/02 at 14:41 (074837)

Need a lot more detail. How and when did you sprain your ankle? A complete rupture of the achilles, if it occurred at the same time as the ankle sprain, should have been discovered at that time.
Ed

Kathryn R. on 2/23/02 at 15:18 (074848)

I sprained my ankle May 11, 2000. I was working in the garden and fell over a cement block. My sister helped me in the house and immediately called our PCP. He sent me to ER. They x-rayed my foot and said it was a sprained ankle and torn ligament. They put on an air cast and sent me home. I could barely walk out without the help of my sister.

After a few weeks I was sent to an orthopedic surgeon who sent me to physical therapy. It only got worse. He then sent me for an MRI, it showed a complete rupture of my achillies tendon. He did surgery Aug. 24, 2000. I had a cast for 6 weeks, then a walking cast, then some boot. He sent me back to pt. It didn't do any good. My foot only worsened. Now my calf and foot are a mess, There is a swollen pouch the size of a golf ball near my incision. My foot is deformed and disfigured, I now limp. My surgeon dropped me like a hot potato shortly after my pt, he didn't know what to do. 4 other doctor's failed to help me. Please help, There's more. It would take to long to tell you on here. Thank you for any light that you can shed. There was also mention of RSD.

Kathryn R. on 2/23/02 at 15:20 (074850)

Did PT. worsen thiis before surgery?

Kathryn R. on 2/24/02 at 11:10 (074915)

I sprained my ankle May 11,2000. I was working in the garden and fell over a cement b;ock. My sister helped me in the house and immediately called our PCP. He sent me to the ER> They e-rayed my foot and said it was a sprained ankle and torn ligament. They put on an air cast and sent me home. I could barely walk out without the help of my sister.

After a few weeks I was sent to an orthopedic surgeon who sent me to physical therapy. It only got worse. He then sent me for an MRI, it showed a complete rupture of my achillies tendon. He did surgery Aug. 24,2000. I had a cast for 6 weeks, then a walking cast, then some boot. He sent me back to pt it didn't do any good. My foot only worsened. Now my calf and foot are a mess. There is a swollen pouch the size of a golf ball near my incision. My foot is deformed and disfigured, I now limp. It is an ugly mess. My surgeon dropped me like a hot potato after my pt he didn't know what to do. Four other doctors failed to help me. Please help me. There is a lot more to this story. It would take too long to tell you on here now. Thank you for any light you can shed. There was also mention of RSD. Did pt worsen this before surgery? I need to know what I'm up against. Is it too late?

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/25/02 at 15:06 (075016)

Incredible. I hope you have found a doctor who can repair your achilles tendon, if that is not what already has been done. What has transpired after Aug. 24, 2000? Where do you live? One resource is http://www.acfas.com
Sounds like you may need an attorney too.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/23/02 at 14:41 (074837)

Need a lot more detail. How and when did you sprain your ankle? A complete rupture of the achilles, if it occurred at the same time as the ankle sprain, should have been discovered at that time.
Ed

Kathryn R. on 2/23/02 at 15:18 (074848)

I sprained my ankle May 11, 2000. I was working in the garden and fell over a cement block. My sister helped me in the house and immediately called our PCP. He sent me to ER. They x-rayed my foot and said it was a sprained ankle and torn ligament. They put on an air cast and sent me home. I could barely walk out without the help of my sister.

After a few weeks I was sent to an orthopedic surgeon who sent me to physical therapy. It only got worse. He then sent me for an MRI, it showed a complete rupture of my achillies tendon. He did surgery Aug. 24, 2000. I had a cast for 6 weeks, then a walking cast, then some boot. He sent me back to pt. It didn't do any good. My foot only worsened. Now my calf and foot are a mess, There is a swollen pouch the size of a golf ball near my incision. My foot is deformed and disfigured, I now limp. My surgeon dropped me like a hot potato shortly after my pt, he didn't know what to do. 4 other doctor's failed to help me. Please help, There's more. It would take to long to tell you on here. Thank you for any light that you can shed. There was also mention of RSD.

Kathryn R. on 2/23/02 at 15:20 (074850)

Did PT. worsen thiis before surgery?

Kathryn R. on 2/24/02 at 11:10 (074915)

I sprained my ankle May 11,2000. I was working in the garden and fell over a cement b;ock. My sister helped me in the house and immediately called our PCP. He sent me to the ER> They e-rayed my foot and said it was a sprained ankle and torn ligament. They put on an air cast and sent me home. I could barely walk out without the help of my sister.

After a few weeks I was sent to an orthopedic surgeon who sent me to physical therapy. It only got worse. He then sent me for an MRI, it showed a complete rupture of my achillies tendon. He did surgery Aug. 24,2000. I had a cast for 6 weeks, then a walking cast, then some boot. He sent me back to pt it didn't do any good. My foot only worsened. Now my calf and foot are a mess. There is a swollen pouch the size of a golf ball near my incision. My foot is deformed and disfigured, I now limp. It is an ugly mess. My surgeon dropped me like a hot potato after my pt he didn't know what to do. Four other doctors failed to help me. Please help me. There is a lot more to this story. It would take too long to tell you on here now. Thank you for any light you can shed. There was also mention of RSD. Did pt worsen this before surgery? I need to know what I'm up against. Is it too late?

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/25/02 at 15:06 (075016)

Incredible. I hope you have found a doctor who can repair your achilles tendon, if that is not what already has been done. What has transpired after Aug. 24, 2000? Where do you live? One resource is http://www.acfas.com
Sounds like you may need an attorney too.
Ed