Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

It's Been One Year Since Surgery...

Posted by Scott2 on 2/23/02 at 23:36 (074888)

Hello Footonians,

I had surgery Feb 16, 2002 (funny how I remember that) for a distal tarsal tunnel release and plantar fasciotomy.

Here are the quick details:

Male, 34 years young
Active lifestyle

History: stopped training for marathon in April 2001 due to foot pain
Treatment prior to surgery: two cortisone shots, orthotics, night splint, casting, MRI, rest, ice, lots of ibuprofen

Post-surgery: Overall success - still minor problems, developing similar symptoms in non-surgery foot. Wear orthotics full-time. Returned to short distance runs (< 3 mi and hiking that could not be done prior to surgery)

If you want to hear me blabber, then read on...

Overall, the surgery was a success. At the time leading up to surgery, I had major foot pain and could not even walk short distances without discomfort.

Today, I still have my good and bad days, but I can walk pain-free and I am running short distances again. The biggest problem I have with my foot is simply standing still when the supporting muscles are not helping as much.

Again, the good news is I feel the surgery was a success even though I am not pain-free. The bad news is I think I have some bi-lateral issues now with the non-surgery foot and am going back to the doctor for it and will most likely be getting a nice needle in the heel next week for openers. Hopefully, I will not have matching scars.

I ice pretty much every evening and do lots of stretching and strengthening exercises. I consider myself very active and do lots of triathlons, hiking, cycling, basketball, etc. I had to stop training for a year before surgery on any weight-bearing exercises. I can do them now, but I am still not pain-free.

I do not take life sitting down and that does factor in my decision of where I feel I should be in terms of being pain-free. I read many others posts and wonder if it is something that will always be there? And then I think that I am settling and should keep fighting it - and look for answers or do whatever it takes to get better.

So, there it is. I hope this was of some use to others. I can say this board has been a big help for me through the last year - just reading it.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to reply or send me an email at (email removed).

Best success and a pain-free foot (feet?) to all of you!

- S