Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Innovative "hot pepper" foot pain treatment

Posted by Glennx on 2/24/02 at 15:28 (074937)

Saw an interesting bit on PBS's Scientific American that might be of interest to 'all-over' foot-pain suffers.
Fellow suffering from intense, chronic, house-bound-debilitating 'all-over' (not PF) foot pain, had both feet anesthetized. Then a 'hot-'jalapeno'-pepper' like cream was spread on his feet, tops and bottoms. Feet were wrapped to hold in the heat for awhile. Feet were hot and sore afterwards, but three days later the guy was walking, a week later, light jogging. Effect expected to last for months.
Theory is that the intense heat of the pepper substance (active ingredient begins with C ??) interrupts /resets pain receptors.
Might be more info via pbs.org.

Re: Innovative "hot pepper" foot pain treatment

Glennx on 2/24/02 at 15:40 (074938)

C word is 'Capsaicin.'
http://www.pbs.org/saf/1105/segments/1105-4.htm

Julie on 2/24/02 at 15:53 (074939)

That's interesting, Glenn - but don't you think the effect of the intense pepper-heat would (perhaps as well) stimulate increased blood flow, hence healing?

Glennx on 2/24/02 at 18:28 (074950)

You bet. Probably fires up the sweat glands too. My forehead gets moist just thinking about it.

Re: Tried it....

Carmen H on 2/25/02 at 07:24 (074975)

Hi Glenn!!! I have actually used the Cap. and have a tube in my closet. I didn't go as far as to wrap my feet with it on but have used it repeatedly over the past few months. My mom used it on her feet when she moved.....she had BAD pain b/c she was on them so long and two days later it was better.
But who's to say it's not just from rest?
It feels okay but I didn't notice any marked difference. Maybe I will wrap my feet with it on??
;-)

Glennx on 2/25/02 at 10:26 (074990)

My sense is they were using a quite high concentration of the C in the creme. People needed morphine for pain afterwards. Might look at the link to the article I posted or search on more current studies.

Carmen H on 2/25/02 at 10:38 (074992)

Yikes Morphine??????

john h on 2/25/02 at 12:14 (075006)

I think the Lord of the Dance applies hot pepper to his feet prior to each performance. I used Zostrix just once and once my feet started to prespire I was really on fire. I could not wash the stuff off and it took approximately 3 days before the heat went away completely.

john h on 2/25/02 at 12:16 (075007)

In some countries they cane the bottom of the feet when you have been a bad boy or girl. I bet that would increase the blood flow in a hurry and provide the necessary injury to the fascia so that healing and new blood vessels could grow. Wonder just how bad you have to be to get this reward? I doubt they would give you a shot prior to treatment.

Re: Tried it too

BrianG on 2/25/02 at 14:52 (075015)

Back a few years ago when my Pod was trying everything he could think of to help my PF, he suggested Capsacian cream. The first tube I bought, .050% was too hot to use, especially under socks and shoes. I then used a milder version, .025% every night for a couple months. It did nothing for me.

I noticed in the mentioned study, the cream was used for nerve type pain. Since it didn't help me, am I to assume that PF is not a nerve type problem? Or did I need something 100 times stronger? I don't think there is enough morphine available to be able to stand the 5% or 10% cream !!!

Maybe the TTS folks would do better than the PF people??
Any thoughts?
BrianG

PS: WARNING, don't apply it with bare hands or fingers, use a sandwich baggie or saran wrap. I can't imagine it getting in my eyes !!!!!

Carmen H on 2/25/02 at 16:13 (075026)

I agree Brian! I used rubber gloves....and whatever you do don't go to the bathroom after using it with bare hands!!!!! you never know...!
Especially men.

john h on 2/26/02 at 12:03 (075096)

At least one noted Doctor (Dr. Baxter) thinks that many cases of PF are indeed nerve pain caused when the fasia presses down on the Baxter nerve. Is not any pain referred to the brain by nerves?

Richard, C.Ped on 2/28/02 at 13:20 (075297)

~YIKES~

Glennx on 2/24/02 at 15:40 (074938)

C word is 'Capsaicin.'
http://www.pbs.org/saf/1105/segments/1105-4.htm

Julie on 2/24/02 at 15:53 (074939)

That's interesting, Glenn - but don't you think the effect of the intense pepper-heat would (perhaps as well) stimulate increased blood flow, hence healing?

Glennx on 2/24/02 at 18:28 (074950)

You bet. Probably fires up the sweat glands too. My forehead gets moist just thinking about it.

Carmen H on 2/25/02 at 07:24 (074975)

Hi Glenn!!! I have actually used the Cap. and have a tube in my closet. I didn't go as far as to wrap my feet with it on but have used it repeatedly over the past few months. My mom used it on her feet when she moved.....she had BAD pain b/c she was on them so long and two days later it was better.
But who's to say it's not just from rest?
It feels okay but I didn't notice any marked difference. Maybe I will wrap my feet with it on??
;-)

Glennx on 2/25/02 at 10:26 (074990)

My sense is they were using a quite high concentration of the C in the creme. People needed morphine for pain afterwards. Might look at the link to the article I posted or search on more current studies.

Carmen H on 2/25/02 at 10:38 (074992)

Yikes Morphine??????

john h on 2/25/02 at 12:14 (075006)

I think the Lord of the Dance applies hot pepper to his feet prior to each performance. I used Zostrix just once and once my feet started to prespire I was really on fire. I could not wash the stuff off and it took approximately 3 days before the heat went away completely.

john h on 2/25/02 at 12:16 (075007)

In some countries they cane the bottom of the feet when you have been a bad boy or girl. I bet that would increase the blood flow in a hurry and provide the necessary injury to the fascia so that healing and new blood vessels could grow. Wonder just how bad you have to be to get this reward? I doubt they would give you a shot prior to treatment.

BrianG on 2/25/02 at 14:52 (075015)

Back a few years ago when my Pod was trying everything he could think of to help my PF, he suggested Capsacian cream. The first tube I bought, .050% was too hot to use, especially under socks and shoes. I then used a milder version, .025% every night for a couple months. It did nothing for me.

I noticed in the mentioned study, the cream was used for nerve type pain. Since it didn't help me, am I to assume that PF is not a nerve type problem? Or did I need something 100 times stronger? I don't think there is enough morphine available to be able to stand the 5% or 10% cream !!!

Maybe the TTS folks would do better than the PF people??
Any thoughts?
BrianG

PS: WARNING, don't apply it with bare hands or fingers, use a sandwich baggie or saran wrap. I can't imagine it getting in my eyes !!!!!

Carmen H on 2/25/02 at 16:13 (075026)

I agree Brian! I used rubber gloves....and whatever you do don't go to the bathroom after using it with bare hands!!!!! you never know...!
Especially men.

john h on 2/26/02 at 12:03 (075096)

At least one noted Doctor (Dr. Baxter) thinks that many cases of PF are indeed nerve pain caused when the fasia presses down on the Baxter nerve. Is not any pain referred to the brain by nerves?

Richard, C.Ped on 2/28/02 at 13:20 (075297)

~YIKES~