Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Spur

Posted by Norma on 2/25/02 at 00:16 (074964)

My mother in Mexico had hip replacement surgery on the right side, know that she is able to wark she has a heelspur that does not let her walk. She did not have it before. The doctor prescribed celebrex for her, and to soak her foot in hot water. I read the whole article on heelspur and it seems that ice helps more. I am going to visit her in Mexico in a few weeks, and I would like to bring her something that will help her. What do you recomend?

Muchas Gracias!!!

Norma

Re: Heel Spur

Pam B on 2/25/02 at 06:16 (074973)

Norma, I am not a doctor but a sufferer.....but, if you can print the heelpain book from this site and some of the remedies for pain it could help her alot.......I find that most people that have a spur really dont understand what it is all about till they educate themselves.....as we all know here, the spur is not usually the problem but instead it is PF......good luck to your mother and have a safe trip

mark on 2/26/02 at 14:06 (075108)

bring her a diamond necklace, a bottle of champange
a brad pitt lookalike a hotel reservation suite for 2 for a weekend
and a tub of ky jelly
wont do her heel much good
but after the weekend she will feel great all over

Pam B on 2/26/02 at 19:06 (075126)

Woohoo.......if she is gettin all that, I am posing as the mom :)

Re: but

Carole C in NOLA on 2/26/02 at 19:38 (075127)

Just a diamond necklace, a bottle of champagne, a Brad Pitt lookalike, a hotel reservation suite for 2 for a weekend, and a tub of ky jelly?

Is that all? How about a wonderful massage, a dozen fragrant red roses, a CD with her favorite music, a big tube of Night Blooming Jasmine body lotion from Bath and Body Works, brand new Birkenstock Grenadas, pretty socks to go with them, and a strawberry cheesecake?

Carole C (when it comes to fantasy, nothing's good enough!)

Julie on 2/27/02 at 01:56 (075155)

Hi Norma, and welcome to heespurs. com.

I'm very sorry your mother has to go through more pain: It's bad luck that now her hip pain is resolved her foot pain is preventing her from walking.

As Pam says, the heel spur is not usually the cause of the pain. The source of the pain is an inflamed plantar fasciitis, the ligament that connects the heel with the ball of the foot. There are several treatments that can be tried, and you will read about them in the heel pain book (click on the blue link right here).

But the best advice I can give you is to encourage your mother to see a foot doctor, a podiatrist. He or she will be able to examine her, find what is causing her pain, and get her started on a package of treatments that will deal with the cause. Her primary care doctor probably knows know a little about a lot of things, but she needs one who knows a lot about feet! Celebrex and ice (though ice does help reduce inflammation) aren't the whole answer: there is much more that can be done. Perhaps when you get there you can investigate - if she is in or near Mexico City, there ought to be a good choice of podiatrists.

It's important that she receive proper treatment, because the condition can get worse if it isn't addressed.

There are special shoes that can help, but of course she would need to be fitted, soi that's not something you can bring her. Birkenstocks, for example, are good and have helped many of us. If it turns out that she needs orthotics, the podiatrist will have to prescribe and make them or have them made.

So I can't suggest anything particular that you could bring her, except of course your love and sympathy. She is lucky to have a daughter who cares about her and I hope the two of you will have a very good visit.

All the best

Julie

Re: Heel Spur - correction

Julie on 2/27/02 at 01:59 (075156)

The source of the pain is an inflamed plantar FASCIA.

Pam B on 2/25/02 at 06:16 (074973)

Norma, I am not a doctor but a sufferer.....but, if you can print the heelpain book from this site and some of the remedies for pain it could help her alot.......I find that most people that have a spur really dont understand what it is all about till they educate themselves.....as we all know here, the spur is not usually the problem but instead it is PF......good luck to your mother and have a safe trip

mark on 2/26/02 at 14:06 (075108)

bring her a diamond necklace, a bottle of champange
a brad pitt lookalike a hotel reservation suite for 2 for a weekend
and a tub of ky jelly
wont do her heel much good
but after the weekend she will feel great all over

Pam B on 2/26/02 at 19:06 (075126)

Woohoo.......if she is gettin all that, I am posing as the mom :)

Re: but

Carole C in NOLA on 2/26/02 at 19:38 (075127)

Just a diamond necklace, a bottle of champagne, a Brad Pitt lookalike, a hotel reservation suite for 2 for a weekend, and a tub of ky jelly?

Is that all? How about a wonderful massage, a dozen fragrant red roses, a CD with her favorite music, a big tube of Night Blooming Jasmine body lotion from Bath and Body Works, brand new Birkenstock Grenadas, pretty socks to go with them, and a strawberry cheesecake?

Carole C (when it comes to fantasy, nothing's good enough!)

Julie on 2/27/02 at 01:56 (075155)

Hi Norma, and welcome to heespurs. com.

I'm very sorry your mother has to go through more pain: It's bad luck that now her hip pain is resolved her foot pain is preventing her from walking.

As Pam says, the heel spur is not usually the cause of the pain. The source of the pain is an inflamed plantar fasciitis, the ligament that connects the heel with the ball of the foot. There are several treatments that can be tried, and you will read about them in the heel pain book (click on the blue link right here).

But the best advice I can give you is to encourage your mother to see a foot doctor, a podiatrist. He or she will be able to examine her, find what is causing her pain, and get her started on a package of treatments that will deal with the cause. Her primary care doctor probably knows know a little about a lot of things, but she needs one who knows a lot about feet! Celebrex and ice (though ice does help reduce inflammation) aren't the whole answer: there is much more that can be done. Perhaps when you get there you can investigate - if she is in or near Mexico City, there ought to be a good choice of podiatrists.

It's important that she receive proper treatment, because the condition can get worse if it isn't addressed.

There are special shoes that can help, but of course she would need to be fitted, soi that's not something you can bring her. Birkenstocks, for example, are good and have helped many of us. If it turns out that she needs orthotics, the podiatrist will have to prescribe and make them or have them made.

So I can't suggest anything particular that you could bring her, except of course your love and sympathy. She is lucky to have a daughter who cares about her and I hope the two of you will have a very good visit.

All the best

Julie

Re: Heel Spur - correction

Julie on 2/27/02 at 01:59 (075156)

The source of the pain is an inflamed plantar FASCIA.