Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT Possibly covered

Posted by Carmen H on 2/25/02 at 08:18 (074977)

Okay I need a little help....please. :-)
I just called my insurance company and asked them to look into the Shock Wave therapy being covered and he said it was. NOW when I call back and have the doctor call as well ( b/c I am triple checking this one)is there ANYthing in particular I should be asking or any words I need to be using to confirm that this is covered?
I know that may sound crazy but you know how insurance companies are...they will come up with something crazy like 'Well maam when you called us three times to confirm you used the word 'and' and that's NOT covered...'
extreme example but you get why I am skeptical. ;-)
ANY help would be great!!!!!!!!!1

Re: ESWT Possibly covered

john h on 2/25/02 at 09:33 (074983)

Carmen: Whe you asked about 'shockwave thearpy' did you specify feet? Many of the shockwave thearpys such as for elbow and kidney stones are covered no question asked.

Carmen H on 2/25/02 at 10:38 (074991)

yes...I told him for PF.
Still would ask the doctor to verify and pre authroize and also call on my own.
May be a long shot and my hopes aren't up by any means...but I'll just cross my fingers.
:-)
Thanks John!!!
How are YOU by the way!?

john h on 2/25/02 at 12:00 (074999)

Compared to many on the board Camren I am doing well. However, I would like to be better. I am thinking about another trip to Dr. Z in the spring. He has a new machine (still an orby) and added a new wrinkle on so in his treatment protocol. I am also considering a cortisone shot the following day after ESWT as they sometimes do in Australia. Dr. Z recently did this with one lady after the first ESWT treatment produced no results and she was vastly improved.

Carmen H on 2/25/02 at 12:02 (075001)

Keep me posted. I am up there with you...doing well but would like to be better. Shouldn't complain compared to many cases here.
Do you exercise at all John?

Julie on 2/26/02 at 02:16 (075065)

Carmen, it's great that your insurance may cover ESWT. But have you checked to see whether you're a candidate? I think Dr Z has always said that the greatest chance of success is if the pain is localized at the insertion point; less if it's elsewhere or widespread. Your pain is mainly arch pain, isn't it - and if I remember correctly, more or less all over your feet? Maybe you should re-post your exact symptoms and pain location again so that the docs here can give you an idea.

Carmen H on 2/26/02 at 11:15 (075091)

:-( the docs haven't answered my last three posts. :-(
BUT the pod I see said I was a candidate because he pain in the arch is causing the diffused pain all over the arches. You can put your finger on the spot that hurtsfor sure.
Before moving forward I wouldmake sure they evaluate my history again....
Thanks Julie!

Now if I could just get them to call me back!
;-)

john h on 2/26/02 at 12:33 (075101)

Carmen: yesterday i rode the stationary bike at the club for 40 minutes, walked a mile and did about 40 minutes of body stretiching and weights at a health club. I probably make it to the club at least 3 times a week. Before PF I was there 7 days a week and running 30-40 miles a week. I was probably possessed or an addict. When I had to stop cold turkey because of PF the mental aspect was as bad as the pain.

RACHAEL T. on 2/26/02 at 19:03 (075124)

Glad to hear you are improved; as am I since ESWT...on 11/21/01. But, I too as you, wish I were doing better. I am now pretty able to 'do my day' to some extent & my days are tough onesas I am a horsetrainer & in a barn on uneven terrain & on a brick aisleway. I am still taking iboprufin though; wish I weren't....but it does get me through the day! Without it, I cannot manage the day as well. Before ESWT - no amount of pills could get me thru the day....so I believe I am on the improve immensely. Since ESWT, my pain dropped from a 9-10 to a 1-2-3! I am thankful for that! Pls. advise - are you still taking pills? If so, how many or what?

Re: To John ESWT Possibly covered

Pauline on 2/26/02 at 20:51 (075134)

John,
It seems like being in that great of shape you would have gotten over your P.F. by now. I remember the Iron man, Rock, seemed to get over his P.F. pretty fast and I was really surprised thinking if your in great shape like this type of athlete your P.F. cure must be faster. Although you are the exception to this. Most professional athletes do seem to recover faster from surgeries and other injuries. It seems they send them right back into the games.

Can you pin point anything that you think is different or that you did differently than other athletes that might have caused you not to heal? Your still exercising yet no improvement. Maybe knowing the difference if there is one would be helpful for the common P.F. sufferer.

Re: John

Carmen H on 2/27/02 at 08:12 (075175)

VERY good to know...and encourages me as well. Since Iam at a level2 almost constantly now I feel I am very fortunate and would be nice to have ESWT put me over the top on healing...

john h on 2/27/02 at 10:02 (075182)

Pauline: I am not sure if your question was directed at me or not. I was in very good shape just prior to PF. Perhaps the best shape of my life. I was rarely sick even with a cold. The worst thing that would happen to me would be broken noses or fingers playing basketball. Without question I was my own worst enemy as when PF firt appeared I continued to work out and run everyday until the pain was so bad I just could not run. I did go to a foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon. She correcly diagnosed my problem and prescribe soft orthotics,some stretches,and anti inflamatories. Probem was I did not know this condition could become chronic and with the first improvement I was back on the road again running up steep hills (concrete) and doing all the things that cause reptetitive injury. In other words I was really dumb in the way I treated my body. The condition became chronic and here I am. I have come a long way in the past 7 years but running may never again be part of my future. I will keep on trying to make it all the way back one way or the other. This board is where I come to whine and with so many of you with much worse problems than I have I even feel guilty about that but at least you know from where I come. By the way as we age the old immune system is not what it once was. There is really no one I know that I can discuss this PF problem with that has any idea of its consequences. If I had found this board within the first few months of PF I really do not think I would be where I am today. I think I would be one of the 90% of the people who are cured. I was just like the typical man who will not stop and ask for directions when he is lost. I just kept on driving baby.

john h on 2/25/02 at 09:33 (074983)

Carmen: Whe you asked about 'shockwave thearpy' did you specify feet? Many of the shockwave thearpys such as for elbow and kidney stones are covered no question asked.

Carmen H on 2/25/02 at 10:38 (074991)

yes...I told him for PF.
Still would ask the doctor to verify and pre authroize and also call on my own.
May be a long shot and my hopes aren't up by any means...but I'll just cross my fingers.
Thanks John!!!
How are YOU by the way!?

john h on 2/25/02 at 12:00 (074999)

Compared to many on the board Camren I am doing well. However, I would like to be better. I am thinking about another trip to Dr. Z in the spring. He has a new machine (still an orby) and added a new wrinkle on so in his treatment protocol. I am also considering a cortisone shot the following day after ESWT as they sometimes do in Australia. Dr. Z recently did this with one lady after the first ESWT treatment produced no results and she was vastly improved.

Carmen H on 2/25/02 at 12:02 (075001)

Keep me posted. I am up there with you...doing well but would like to be better. Shouldn't complain compared to many cases here.
Do you exercise at all John?

Julie on 2/26/02 at 02:16 (075065)

Carmen, it's great that your insurance may cover ESWT. But have you checked to see whether you're a candidate? I think Dr Z has always said that the greatest chance of success is if the pain is localized at the insertion point; less if it's elsewhere or widespread. Your pain is mainly arch pain, isn't it - and if I remember correctly, more or less all over your feet? Maybe you should re-post your exact symptoms and pain location again so that the docs here can give you an idea.

Carmen H on 2/26/02 at 11:15 (075091)

:-( the docs haven't answered my last three posts. :-(
BUT the pod I see said I was a candidate because he pain in the arch is causing the diffused pain all over the arches. You can put your finger on the spot that hurtsfor sure.
Before moving forward I wouldmake sure they evaluate my history again....
Thanks Julie!

Now if I could just get them to call me back!
;-)

john h on 2/26/02 at 12:33 (075101)

Carmen: yesterday i rode the stationary bike at the club for 40 minutes, walked a mile and did about 40 minutes of body stretiching and weights at a health club. I probably make it to the club at least 3 times a week. Before PF I was there 7 days a week and running 30-40 miles a week. I was probably possessed or an addict. When I had to stop cold turkey because of PF the mental aspect was as bad as the pain.

RACHAEL T. on 2/26/02 at 19:03 (075124)

Glad to hear you are improved; as am I since ESWT...on 11/21/01. But, I too as you, wish I were doing better. I am now pretty able to 'do my day' to some extent & my days are tough onesas I am a horsetrainer & in a barn on uneven terrain & on a brick aisleway. I am still taking iboprufin though; wish I weren't....but it does get me through the day! Without it, I cannot manage the day as well. Before ESWT - no amount of pills could get me thru the day....so I believe I am on the improve immensely. Since ESWT, my pain dropped from a 9-10 to a 1-2-3! I am thankful for that! Pls. advise - are you still taking pills? If so, how many or what?

Pauline on 2/26/02 at 20:51 (075134)

John,
It seems like being in that great of shape you would have gotten over your P.F. by now. I remember the Iron man, Rock, seemed to get over his P.F. pretty fast and I was really surprised thinking if your in great shape like this type of athlete your P.F. cure must be faster. Although you are the exception to this. Most professional athletes do seem to recover faster from surgeries and other injuries. It seems they send them right back into the games.

Can you pin point anything that you think is different or that you did differently than other athletes that might have caused you not to heal? Your still exercising yet no improvement. Maybe knowing the difference if there is one would be helpful for the common P.F. sufferer.

Re: John

Carmen H on 2/27/02 at 08:12 (075175)

VERY good to know...and encourages me as well. Since Iam at a level2 almost constantly now I feel I am very fortunate and would be nice to have ESWT put me over the top on healing...

john h on 2/27/02 at 10:02 (075182)

Pauline: I am not sure if your question was directed at me or not. I was in very good shape just prior to PF. Perhaps the best shape of my life. I was rarely sick even with a cold. The worst thing that would happen to me would be broken noses or fingers playing basketball. Without question I was my own worst enemy as when PF firt appeared I continued to work out and run everyday until the pain was so bad I just could not run. I did go to a foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon. She correcly diagnosed my problem and prescribe soft orthotics,some stretches,and anti inflamatories. Probem was I did not know this condition could become chronic and with the first improvement I was back on the road again running up steep hills (concrete) and doing all the things that cause reptetitive injury. In other words I was really dumb in the way I treated my body. The condition became chronic and here I am. I have come a long way in the past 7 years but running may never again be part of my future. I will keep on trying to make it all the way back one way or the other. This board is where I come to whine and with so many of you with much worse problems than I have I even feel guilty about that but at least you know from where I come. By the way as we age the old immune system is not what it once was. There is really no one I know that I can discuss this PF problem with that has any idea of its consequences. If I had found this board within the first few months of PF I really do not think I would be where I am today. I think I would be one of the 90% of the people who are cured. I was just like the typical man who will not stop and ask for directions when he is lost. I just kept on driving baby.