Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help - I need some information on a Peripheral Nerve Stimulator (PNS)

Posted by Henry C on 2/25/02 at 12:29 (075008)

Already with two TTS releases, the last being a vein wrap procedure, I am scheduled to see my doctor this Wednesday. He has suggested a Peripheral Nerve Stimulator (PNS). Does anyone have any more information on them then provided by the manufacturer?

What types of success do they really have for TTS related pain? My local pain doctor wants to use a Spinal Cord Stimulator (SCS). I know the power source of an SCS can be worn on your belt. I have also been told that an SCS is not affective for TTS. Is it possible to have a PNS that can be worn on the outside of your leg?

What type of questions should I ask my doctor?

Re: Help - I need some information on a Peripheral Nerve Stimulator (PNS)

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/25/02 at 15:14 (075020)

There are different types. I am assuming that your doctor may be referring to one in which an electrode is implanted near the nerve.
There are types that are implanted near the spinal cord. Depending on your docs level of experience he may consider referring you to a specialized pain clinic.
Ed

Henry C on 2/25/02 at 15:42 (075024)

My doctor told me that a spinal cord stimulator was not as affective for lower extremities such as the foot. As for his experience, he works with Medtronics and has helped design some of the electrodes that are sewn onto the nerve. He suposeably has a good bit of experience with them, The power source is implanted under the skin in the thigh and a wire is run down to where the electrode is actually attached to the nerve.

My only question is about the wire between the power source and where the lead is attached to the nerve. It is very breakable, thus limiting the movement of the leg to almost nothing. It sounds like you might not have as much pain, but you also don't have many activities.

I know that the power supply for a SCS can be worn on the belt. Could the power supply for a PNS be worn on the outside of the leg, thus eliminating the need for the wire running all the way up your leg. You could wear it like people wear the ankle thing when they are on home confinement,

Do you know of anyone who has had one of these for TTS? I don't seem to get much responce when I inquire about information on them. Are there any special questions that I should ask my doctor?

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/25/02 at 16:16 (075027)

I know very few people with this modality. Your questions are largely related to the design of the unit so I would query your doctor on those specific issues.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/25/02 at 15:14 (075020)

There are different types. I am assuming that your doctor may be referring to one in which an electrode is implanted near the nerve.
There are types that are implanted near the spinal cord. Depending on your docs level of experience he may consider referring you to a specialized pain clinic.
Ed

Henry C on 2/25/02 at 15:42 (075024)

My doctor told me that a spinal cord stimulator was not as affective for lower extremities such as the foot. As for his experience, he works with Medtronics and has helped design some of the electrodes that are sewn onto the nerve. He suposeably has a good bit of experience with them, The power source is implanted under the skin in the thigh and a wire is run down to where the electrode is actually attached to the nerve.

My only question is about the wire between the power source and where the lead is attached to the nerve. It is very breakable, thus limiting the movement of the leg to almost nothing. It sounds like you might not have as much pain, but you also don't have many activities.

I know that the power supply for a SCS can be worn on the belt. Could the power supply for a PNS be worn on the outside of the leg, thus eliminating the need for the wire running all the way up your leg. You could wear it like people wear the ankle thing when they are on home confinement,

Do you know of anyone who has had one of these for TTS? I don't seem to get much responce when I inquire about information on them. Are there any special questions that I should ask my doctor?

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/25/02 at 16:16 (075027)

I know very few people with this modality. Your questions are largely related to the design of the unit so I would query your doctor on those specific issues.
Ed