Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Losing weight..has it really helped?

Posted by Jane on 2/25/02 at 13:10 (075011)

Just wondering....I'm about 60 pounds over weight and just wanted to know if the pain will lessen at least a little when I lose the weight? Thanks.

Re: Losing weight..has it really helped?

wallyh on 2/25/02 at 14:34 (075014)

Hi Jane,

I think anything to relieve pounds per square inch off the site of injury can be beneficial, but I think there are no guarantees As soon as my condition really got to bad place I took off 25 pounds. It didn't help as my foot was pretty well shot at this point, but I felt better and healthier all around as a result. I also felt that I had really tried everything I could to relieve the pain apart from surgery.

Wally

Pam B on 2/25/02 at 17:25 (075031)

I have been over 225 and under 150 in the past eight years of suffering from these foot conditions........I am not saying it wont help, but it did not do much for me.......the only time I think it affected me was when I quit smoking the first time and gained 30 pounds in a month.......sudden weight gain totally aggrevates PF.......but other than that I have been on both sides of the scale and had it both ways.......losing cant hurt though because for you it may help.......that is the funny thing about PF, each person is different.......good luck to you

Re: Pam and Wally - - WOW!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/25/02 at 18:31 (075040)

Pam and Wally, I just have to tell you that I'm SO impressed that you managed to lose weight at the same time that you were suffering PF. I lost over eighty pounds during the 18 months or so before I got PF, and I'm still trying. But the constant pain and depression have been difficult to battle. I'm maintaining my weight loss, but that is all I've been able to accomplish. Now that my feet are better I'm hoping I can lose again.

I'm doing Weight Watchers, but one thing that helped me to stick to it was that I also cut way back on refined sugar (didn't eat anything sweetened with sugar, no cake, pie, conventional cereals, and so on, and have no sugar in my apartment). Sugar makes me intensely crave more sugar, so for me this is a big help. During PF, I started eating sugar again, mostly due to inattention rather than a real desire for it. Now I need to cut back on sugar again so that it will be easier for me to eat reasonable amounts of food and lose weight. Maybe I can start exercising again too, doing it more carefully this time so I don't exacerbate my PF.

Anyway, I just wanted to express my honest admiration for two people who managed to lose weight with PF!

Carole C

john h on 2/26/02 at 12:24 (075099)

Jane I do not know that losing weight would cure or help your problem because we have some people who are well within acceptable weight ranges who suffer. However, the more weight on the fascia the more tension so it sure would not hurt to drop the weight. I had one friend who went from around 300lbs to 170 lbs. He owned a resturant but had to give it up because of foot problems. He is now pain free.

Janet C on 2/27/02 at 22:01 (075230)

When I first developed PF over 10 yrs. ago, I was the same healthy size and weight that I had been in High School. My Pod told me excess weight sometimes contributed to PF pain, but for me, it just seemed to be brought on by increased exercise.

Then, a couple of yrs. ago, my Drs. put me on some meds including Anti-Depressants that they only told me later, 'Would usually blow patients up like the Pillsbury Dough Boy'. How Drs. assume that blowing you up like the Pillsbury Dough Boy would make anyone feel less depressed, is beyond me.

Since then, I've discontinued those AD's, and I've also found that the intensity of the pain often makes me feel nauseated. As a result, I've lost an incredible amount of weight, even though I haven't been trying to. Recently, close friends and family have warned me that I've gotten thin enough, but I don't know how to stop losing it, when I have such difficulty keeping anything down.

To answer your question, it couldn't hurt, and may be worth it to lessen the weight that your feet have to carry around. But for me, I never noticed any decrease in my pain levels with the decrease in my weight.

I wish you the very best ~ Janet

Pam B on 2/28/02 at 19:05 (075329)

Janet, I too recently stopped taking AD's......I hated them.......too many side effects and I really did not see where they helped that much......but I had to stop them by cutting down prior to stopping because of the way they can mess up your system.......I wish they would have made me lose but instead it is just the opposite for me.......now my doc is running blood tests to see if my thyroid is functioning properly.....it seems that peri menopause which I am now into is also an issue with the thyroid thing......go and get it checked, it could be your problem and they check mine every six months now due to the fact that my blood tests reveal that I am borderline........good luck

wallyh on 2/25/02 at 14:34 (075014)

Hi Jane,

I think anything to relieve pounds per square inch off the site of injury can be beneficial, but I think there are no guarantees As soon as my condition really got to bad place I took off 25 pounds. It didn't help as my foot was pretty well shot at this point, but I felt better and healthier all around as a result. I also felt that I had really tried everything I could to relieve the pain apart from surgery.

Wally

Pam B on 2/25/02 at 17:25 (075031)

I have been over 225 and under 150 in the past eight years of suffering from these foot conditions........I am not saying it wont help, but it did not do much for me.......the only time I think it affected me was when I quit smoking the first time and gained 30 pounds in a month.......sudden weight gain totally aggrevates PF.......but other than that I have been on both sides of the scale and had it both ways.......losing cant hurt though because for you it may help.......that is the funny thing about PF, each person is different.......good luck to you

Re: Pam and Wally - - WOW!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/25/02 at 18:31 (075040)

Pam and Wally, I just have to tell you that I'm SO impressed that you managed to lose weight at the same time that you were suffering PF. I lost over eighty pounds during the 18 months or so before I got PF, and I'm still trying. But the constant pain and depression have been difficult to battle. I'm maintaining my weight loss, but that is all I've been able to accomplish. Now that my feet are better I'm hoping I can lose again.

I'm doing Weight Watchers, but one thing that helped me to stick to it was that I also cut way back on refined sugar (didn't eat anything sweetened with sugar, no cake, pie, conventional cereals, and so on, and have no sugar in my apartment). Sugar makes me intensely crave more sugar, so for me this is a big help. During PF, I started eating sugar again, mostly due to inattention rather than a real desire for it. Now I need to cut back on sugar again so that it will be easier for me to eat reasonable amounts of food and lose weight. Maybe I can start exercising again too, doing it more carefully this time so I don't exacerbate my PF.

Anyway, I just wanted to express my honest admiration for two people who managed to lose weight with PF!

Carole C

john h on 2/26/02 at 12:24 (075099)

Jane I do not know that losing weight would cure or help your problem because we have some people who are well within acceptable weight ranges who suffer. However, the more weight on the fascia the more tension so it sure would not hurt to drop the weight. I had one friend who went from around 300lbs to 170 lbs. He owned a resturant but had to give it up because of foot problems. He is now pain free.

Janet C on 2/27/02 at 22:01 (075230)

When I first developed PF over 10 yrs. ago, I was the same healthy size and weight that I had been in High School. My Pod told me excess weight sometimes contributed to PF pain, but for me, it just seemed to be brought on by increased exercise.

Then, a couple of yrs. ago, my Drs. put me on some meds including Anti-Depressants that they only told me later, 'Would usually blow patients up like the Pillsbury Dough Boy'. How Drs. assume that blowing you up like the Pillsbury Dough Boy would make anyone feel less depressed, is beyond me.

Since then, I've discontinued those AD's, and I've also found that the intensity of the pain often makes me feel nauseated. As a result, I've lost an incredible amount of weight, even though I haven't been trying to. Recently, close friends and family have warned me that I've gotten thin enough, but I don't know how to stop losing it, when I have such difficulty keeping anything down.

To answer your question, it couldn't hurt, and may be worth it to lessen the weight that your feet have to carry around. But for me, I never noticed any decrease in my pain levels with the decrease in my weight.

I wish you the very best ~ Janet

Pam B on 2/28/02 at 19:05 (075329)

Janet, I too recently stopped taking AD's......I hated them.......too many side effects and I really did not see where they helped that much......but I had to stop them by cutting down prior to stopping because of the way they can mess up your system.......I wish they would have made me lose but instead it is just the opposite for me.......now my doc is running blood tests to see if my thyroid is functioning properly.....it seems that peri menopause which I am now into is also an issue with the thyroid thing......go and get it checked, it could be your problem and they check mine every six months now due to the fact that my blood tests reveal that I am borderline........good luck

Re: Losing weight?????

Arizona on 6/20/04 at 14:25 (153551)

Only process that has ever worked for me is fasting. Yes it is hard at frist but worth it. Check this site out for more info. http://www.freedom-you.com ps. check side bar - healing through fasting

Re: Losing weight?????

Dorothy on 6/20/04 at 16:17 (153555)

There are some good books about fasting that don't carry some of the other 'messages' that your site seems to. Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. has some good books out - one that comes to mind is Fasting and Eating for Health. Dr. Dean Ornish has referred patients to him, apparently, which is a decent endorsement. Dr. Fuhrman was an Olympic athlete as a younger man, was severely injured and ultimately went through a supervised fasting program and came away with health recovered; his father had done so for arthritis years before. He does not endorse long fasts (more than 2-3 days) without daily medical supervision and he endorses water fasts, not juice fasts. Plus his plans involve a total dietary program before and after the fast (very low-fat, vegetarian). He seems to know what he is doing and what he is talking/writing about and he is very careful, conservative in his approach - but he does advocate the many health benefits of fasting (supervised, properly done) for most people.
I think the trick would be to obtain the kind of medical supervision needed if one wanted to undertake a longer fast. I have been reading and studying about fasting since I developed hives recently and some other health problems (aside from the ones we usually discuss here), but don't know how to proceed safely yet. I agree with your basic premise, but think it is more complicated than your post implies. For one thing, fasting can actually slow down one's metabolism and cause resistance to weight loss...so it must be done right.