Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

OK, True Confessions time..... (grin)

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 2/25/02 at 22:16 (075055)

We all know we aren't supposed to walk or stand barefoot. But confess, now... How many of you SIT barefoot?

I sometimes sit with my feet on top of my shoes rather than in them, for a minute or two, but I noticed tonight that I NEVER sit with my bare feet flat on the floor, even though they are bearing no weight. I must be getting superstitious! LOL

Honestly, I do take my shoes off to sleep. Really, I do. :)

Carole C

Re: OK, True Confessions time..... (grin)

Julie on 2/26/02 at 03:46 (075070)

That's a good point, Carole. The thing about sitting is that if you're sitting properly, with the feet flat on the ground, they ARE bearing weight. They should be, because they're meant to perform a supporting function in sitting, just as they do when standing. They're bearing less weight than they do when standing, but they are (or should be) still performing a supportive function: if they don't, the pelvis and spine have no support, and gently collapse.

(The feet shouldn't dangle in the air, by the way. Short-legged people often need an elevation, like a telephone book or letter tray, under the, so that the feet can give support. Plus if they do dangle, they're at maximum plantar flexion: bad news for PF.)

So, yes: it stands to reason that feet should be safely tucked away in Birks/orthotics or whatever, while sitting.

When I'm at the computer, as now, my feet (in my Arizonas) are flat on the ground. With the support they give as I press them gently into the ground, I can lengthen my spine and neck. I have lift-off.

I do take my Arizonas off, though, if I'm sitting with my feet tucked under me, which I often do while I read or watch TV.

Pam B on 2/26/02 at 06:16 (075073)

I am a shortie but I usually am in the chaise lounger with the massage on :) so I dont dangle.....just having PF surgery 3 weeks ago, I am in constant elevation and if I do sit, dangling makes them hurt, so I dont do it unless I have too.....

To be honest with you guys, I never go barefoot even before I got PF....I am a tenderfooted person and cant stand being barefoot, but, when I get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the nite I sometimes forget to put my slippers on.....as a matter of fact most of the time I cant even remember getting up, hubby tells me I do :) pitiful huh????? but god knows I have a hard time sleeping with middle age and when I do go to sleep, I seriously go to sleep :)

Re: Barefeet

wendyn on 2/26/02 at 22:34 (075148)

I get up in the morning and walk a bit barefoot, I always stand bare foot in the shower and at the gym in the locker room. I know I shouldn't - but I do.

I often sit cross legged on chairs with my shoes off because frequently my feet don't properly touch the floor.

I never do that in a skirt.

wendyn on 2/26/02 at 22:35 (075149)

Unless it's a really long skirt

Re: Wendy get a phone book. :0) eom

Julie on 2/27/02 at 03:09 (075165)

Re: Depends on the phone book...

Valerie S on 2/27/02 at 06:57 (075168)

I know this is off-topice, but that phonebook thing just inspires me to make an observation...

We recently moved from a big city (Grand Rapids, Michigan) to a small town in northern Michigan (Frankfort)... We brought along our copy of the GR phone book, which is 2 huge books, one yellow and one white pages... each book is about 3.5 inches thick... But our phonebook for our new home covers 6 cities, and it is only .25 inches thick... more like a magazine... but not even as thick as most fashion magazines... hee hee...

Just a funny observation... :)

When we were growing up, my mom took a couple of phone books and covered them with contact paper to make booster seats ... those were always fun to sit on at the dinner table...

Great idea Julie... ! I'll just have to get an extra set of GR phonebooks... hee hee

Val.

Julie on 2/27/02 at 10:54 (075186)

Val, I thought you were tall. If you are, you don't need a phone book. Wendy is a short legged duck, like me.

You're right: if you need a phone book, you have to live in a big city. But any big book, or a letter tray, will do to keep from dangling.

Re: shower considerations

Carole C in NOLA on 3/01/02 at 10:01 (075374)

Julie, I agree and I also agree that the amount of weight that the feet bear depends so much on how you sit and what you are sitting on.

In particular, I think that sitting on a shower stool taking a shower, feet can also be bearing a little bit of weight while seated depending on various factors. The ceramic of a tub/shower can be very bad for PF sufferers to stand on, and I think that it can be beneficial to some of us to wear shower shoes of some kind even when seated.

Sitting on a sofa like mine, with my thighs well supported out to my knees, and with my feet stretched out, there is not much weight on my feet but I still do not do it barefoot. I don't have much of a reason for that, but I just don't do it.

Carole C

Julie on 2/26/02 at 03:46 (075070)

That's a good point, Carole. The thing about sitting is that if you're sitting properly, with the feet flat on the ground, they ARE bearing weight. They should be, because they're meant to perform a supporting function in sitting, just as they do when standing. They're bearing less weight than they do when standing, but they are (or should be) still performing a supportive function: if they don't, the pelvis and spine have no support, and gently collapse.

(The feet shouldn't dangle in the air, by the way. Short-legged people often need an elevation, like a telephone book or letter tray, under the, so that the feet can give support. Plus if they do dangle, they're at maximum plantar flexion: bad news for PF.)

So, yes: it stands to reason that feet should be safely tucked away in Birks/orthotics or whatever, while sitting.

When I'm at the computer, as now, my feet (in my Arizonas) are flat on the ground. With the support they give as I press them gently into the ground, I can lengthen my spine and neck. I have lift-off.

I do take my Arizonas off, though, if I'm sitting with my feet tucked under me, which I often do while I read or watch TV.

Pam B on 2/26/02 at 06:16 (075073)

I am a shortie but I usually am in the chaise lounger with the massage on :) so I dont dangle.....just having PF surgery 3 weeks ago, I am in constant elevation and if I do sit, dangling makes them hurt, so I dont do it unless I have too.....

To be honest with you guys, I never go barefoot even before I got PF....I am a tenderfooted person and cant stand being barefoot, but, when I get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the nite I sometimes forget to put my slippers on.....as a matter of fact most of the time I cant even remember getting up, hubby tells me I do :) pitiful huh????? but god knows I have a hard time sleeping with middle age and when I do go to sleep, I seriously go to sleep :)

wendyn on 2/26/02 at 22:34 (075148)

I get up in the morning and walk a bit barefoot, I always stand bare foot in the shower and at the gym in the locker room. I know I shouldn't - but I do.

I often sit cross legged on chairs with my shoes off because frequently my feet don't properly touch the floor.

I never do that in a skirt.

wendyn on 2/26/02 at 22:35 (075149)

Unless it's a really long skirt

Re: Wendy get a phone book. :0) eom

Julie on 2/27/02 at 03:09 (075165)

Valerie S on 2/27/02 at 06:57 (075168)

I know this is off-topice, but that phonebook thing just inspires me to make an observation...

We recently moved from a big city (Grand Rapids, Michigan) to a small town in northern Michigan (Frankfort)... We brought along our copy of the GR phone book, which is 2 huge books, one yellow and one white pages... each book is about 3.5 inches thick... But our phonebook for our new home covers 6 cities, and it is only .25 inches thick... more like a magazine... but not even as thick as most fashion magazines... hee hee...

Just a funny observation... :)

When we were growing up, my mom took a couple of phone books and covered them with contact paper to make booster seats ... those were always fun to sit on at the dinner table...

Great idea Julie... ! I'll just have to get an extra set of GR phonebooks... hee hee

Val.

Julie on 2/27/02 at 10:54 (075186)

Val, I thought you were tall. If you are, you don't need a phone book. Wendy is a short legged duck, like me.

You're right: if you need a phone book, you have to live in a big city. But any big book, or a letter tray, will do to keep from dangling.

Re: shower considerations

Carole C in NOLA on 3/01/02 at 10:01 (075374)

Julie, I agree and I also agree that the amount of weight that the feet bear depends so much on how you sit and what you are sitting on.

In particular, I think that sitting on a shower stool taking a shower, feet can also be bearing a little bit of weight while seated depending on various factors. The ceramic of a tub/shower can be very bad for PF sufferers to stand on, and I think that it can be beneficial to some of us to wear shower shoes of some kind even when seated.

Sitting on a sofa like mine, with my thighs well supported out to my knees, and with my feet stretched out, there is not much weight on my feet but I still do not do it barefoot. I don't have much of a reason for that, but I just don't do it.

Carole C