Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

anti inflammatory drugs

Posted by Pam B on 2/26/02 at 09:32 (075088)

I have taken these type drugs for many years off and on for both back and foot problems and I just cannot tolerate them.....it is ok at first but then the stomach problems begin for me......even with celebrex.....the doc also tried me on predisone in the medrol dose pack and that was also a disaster for me with the side effects......since these drugs seem to be such an important part of treating these foot issues, what does one do when they just cant tolerate them?????? the last trip to my pod he asked if I was taking them and I told him NO MORE......I did tell him that I refuse to take them and be sick for the little help that they did provide it was not worth stomach problems on top of everything else......he agreed that I should not take them but I have not yet asked him where does that leave someone like me that has been suffering for as many years as I have with this and one that just had surgery.....

When your patients are unable to take these drugs, what do you do or prescribe for them to assist with the inflammation????????

Re: anti inflammatory drugs

Carmen H on 2/26/02 at 16:03 (075114)

I am not a doctor but while you wait ...have you tried all natural NSAIDS?
Have you tried creams?

Re: To Pam anti inflammatory drugs

Pauline on 2/26/02 at 17:12 (075119)

I experience the same problem with anti-inflammatory drug and cannot use them. Instead I started using an herbal that Scott mentions in his book called Bromelain. It's made from pineapple extract. You get it at a health food store. I was using 300mg and taking it 3 times a day. check Scott's book for exact dosage info or ask at the health food store.

I had no problem from this and I believe it help while I took it. My P.F. is in remission now and I'm pain free after dealing with this third case for about 18 months. I hope this gives you some help as well.

Ellen on 2/26/02 at 17:15 (075120)

Hi,
I am another P.F. sufferer and wonder if you have tried Aspercream (over the counter at drug store), or some of the pain relieving creams at the health food stores. There are some with Cayenne pepper in them and I have not tried those yet but wonder if they work for other people. (Cayene is used as a pain reliever, but needs to be used cautiously at first because it can irritate some people with sensitive skin) I'm not a doctor but wonder if you or anyone has tried such things with any success.
Ellen

Re: Pauline

Pam B on 2/26/02 at 19:01 (075122)

I might try the cream but will wait to ask the doc first as I just did have surgery and the incision is still not healed completely....if you read the posts from the past week or so you will see where some of the people here have tried the creams......some seem to like it and some dont.......each case is different I guess.......thanks for the advice, I will ask the doc when I see him next week........:)

Re: Woops, last message for Ellen

Pam B on 2/26/02 at 19:03 (075123)

Sorry, had the names backwards, blonde moment :)

Pam B on 2/26/02 at 19:05 (075125)

Thanks, and I will check it out and give it a try....I know I need something but I just cannot take that stuff anymore, my tummy is screaming everytime I do.......it was not so bad in the beginning but after a year of them my tummy is protesting big time.......thanks again......:)

wendyn on 2/26/02 at 20:06 (075132)

Pam - if you can't take the meds, you may want to consider giving acupuncture a good try.

Carmen H on 2/26/02 at 16:03 (075114)

I am not a doctor but while you wait ...have you tried all natural NSAIDS?
Have you tried creams?

Re: To Pam anti inflammatory drugs

Pauline on 2/26/02 at 17:12 (075119)

I experience the same problem with anti-inflammatory drug and cannot use them. Instead I started using an herbal that Scott mentions in his book called Bromelain. It's made from pineapple extract. You get it at a health food store. I was using 300mg and taking it 3 times a day. check Scott's book for exact dosage info or ask at the health food store.

I had no problem from this and I believe it help while I took it. My P.F. is in remission now and I'm pain free after dealing with this third case for about 18 months. I hope this gives you some help as well.

Ellen on 2/26/02 at 17:15 (075120)

Hi,
I am another P.F. sufferer and wonder if you have tried Aspercream (over the counter at drug store), or some of the pain relieving creams at the health food stores. There are some with Cayenne pepper in them and I have not tried those yet but wonder if they work for other people. (Cayene is used as a pain reliever, but needs to be used cautiously at first because it can irritate some people with sensitive skin) I'm not a doctor but wonder if you or anyone has tried such things with any success.
Ellen

Pam B on 2/26/02 at 19:01 (075122)

I might try the cream but will wait to ask the doc first as I just did have surgery and the incision is still not healed completely....if you read the posts from the past week or so you will see where some of the people here have tried the creams......some seem to like it and some dont.......each case is different I guess.......thanks for the advice, I will ask the doc when I see him next week........:)

Re: Woops, last message for Ellen

Pam B on 2/26/02 at 19:03 (075123)

Sorry, had the names backwards, blonde moment :)

Pam B on 2/26/02 at 19:05 (075125)

Thanks, and I will check it out and give it a try....I know I need something but I just cannot take that stuff anymore, my tummy is screaming everytime I do.......it was not so bad in the beginning but after a year of them my tummy is protesting big time.......thanks again......:)

wendyn on 2/26/02 at 20:06 (075132)

Pam - if you can't take the meds, you may want to consider giving acupuncture a good try.