Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

special birkenstocks?

Posted by Harry M on 2/26/02 at 10:39 (075090)

For the past couple of years I have had pain in the back of my heel rather than on the bottom. X-rays showed bone spurs, and the treatment from my physical therapist has consisted mainly of stretching exercises for my heel and calf. Some months back I read a message at this or a similar site from an individual who had similar pain and had had very good results with a style of birkenstock which had, if I remember right helped to stretch his heel as he walked. I have forgotten the name of the style or model of shoe. Does this ring a bell? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: special birkenstocks?

Carole C in NOLA on 2/26/02 at 22:46 (075152)

Hmmm, it's hard to figure out what that person could have been referring to.

Most Birkenstocks angle your foot so that the heel is a little bit down or lower than it migh be with many othe shoes. So, as you walk they tend to stretch the Achilles tendon. Maybe that is what the person meant by stretching his heel. It does sort of do that, because the Achilles tendon is attached to the heel area. Just about any classic Birkenstock will stretch the Achilles tendon in this way.

Many of the Birkenstock styles do not have a heelstrap or anything around the back of the heel, so that might be more comfortable for you.

There is a site called Birkenstock Express at http://www.birkenstockexpress.com that has most of the styles and colors of Birkenstock available. It's not the cheapest; the word Birkenstock always has a link to a German site that is cheaper, but they do not have many of the desirable shoes, materials, and colors, and the delivery time can be six weeks, I'm told.

The Birkenstock 'Arizona' might be the sandal that was mentioned and that you are looking for; it has helped a number of people with heelspurs and might help you too. I would suggest looking at the more common styles online, including the 'Arizona'. If there is a Birkenstock store in your area it is best to be fitted in person, but otherwise most online dealers will accept immediate exchanges of shoes in perfect shape that don't fit.

Carole C

Valerie S on 2/27/02 at 07:17 (075170)

Harry,

You might also ask your doctor for recommendations on proper footwear for you. My podiatrist even gave me a discount card that I could use at a local shoe store that was familiar with problems like mine.

Good luck to you. In any case, you definitely want to be fitted in person when you try any new style of shoes. You can always order online, but make sure you know what the shoes feel like before you buy them.

I love Birkenstocks, but some people find other shoes work better.

Ask your doctor.

Val.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/26/02 at 22:46 (075152)

Hmmm, it's hard to figure out what that person could have been referring to.

Most Birkenstocks angle your foot so that the heel is a little bit down or lower than it migh be with many othe shoes. So, as you walk they tend to stretch the Achilles tendon. Maybe that is what the person meant by stretching his heel. It does sort of do that, because the Achilles tendon is attached to the heel area. Just about any classic Birkenstock will stretch the Achilles tendon in this way.

Many of the Birkenstock styles do not have a heelstrap or anything around the back of the heel, so that might be more comfortable for you.

There is a site called Birkenstock Express at http://www.birkenstockexpress.com that has most of the styles and colors of Birkenstock available. It's not the cheapest; the word Birkenstock always has a link to a German site that is cheaper, but they do not have many of the desirable shoes, materials, and colors, and the delivery time can be six weeks, I'm told.

The Birkenstock 'Arizona' might be the sandal that was mentioned and that you are looking for; it has helped a number of people with heelspurs and might help you too. I would suggest looking at the more common styles online, including the 'Arizona'. If there is a Birkenstock store in your area it is best to be fitted in person, but otherwise most online dealers will accept immediate exchanges of shoes in perfect shape that don't fit.

Carole C

Valerie S on 2/27/02 at 07:17 (075170)

Harry,

You might also ask your doctor for recommendations on proper footwear for you. My podiatrist even gave me a discount card that I could use at a local shoe store that was familiar with problems like mine.

Good luck to you. In any case, you definitely want to be fitted in person when you try any new style of shoes. You can always order online, but make sure you know what the shoes feel like before you buy them.

I love Birkenstocks, but some people find other shoes work better.

Ask your doctor.

Val.