Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Recumbent Bike vs. Elliptical

Posted by Barb B on 2/26/02 at 19:46 (075128)

I have pf pain on arising in the a.m., and occasionally throughout the day. The pf has worsened since I started exercising 6 weeks ago for a TOTAL of 30-45 mins. 3x/week on a treadmill and an elliptical. Would it be ok to continue these machines, or will one or both of them aggravate the pf?

As an alternative, should I purchase an recumbent bike and avoid either the elliptical or the treadmill? I've tried the stretching in bed for the past couple of days, and it really helps me when I get up, but the dull pain returns late in the day.

I'm not willing to stop my newly formed habit of cardio work if possible, since I am trying to lose 20 lbs.

Re: Recumbent Bike vs. Elliptical

monte on 2/26/02 at 20:22 (075133)

I agree with the stretching prior to getting out of bed...but you should listen to your feet. If they hurt more from what you have been doing...then stop it. You can do more damage and prolong the healing process. Take the time to heal properly and GRADUALLY you may be able to return to you workouts, maybe in a modified form. But do not continue to hurt yourself.. just my opinion.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/26/02 at 21:04 (075135)

I agree completely with Monte. Do your gentle stretching and listen to your feet. In general, do less than you think you can do, and return to your workouts more gradually than you think you can. PF is so long-lasting and if you can get it to heal soon, you can save yourself months or years of downtime later on.

Also, I'd think twice about buying any new exercise equipment right after getting PF. Even a recumbent bicycle can aggravate your PF, depending on your physical condition and what you do on the bicycle. For now, the recommendations in the heel pain book on this site would be helpful. These include such things as rest, icing, stretching, never going barefoot, and so on.

Good luck and I hope you heal fast!

Carole C

Julie on 2/27/02 at 02:10 (075157)

The treadmill is a definite No-no, Barb. Really. All weight-bearing, impact exercise is going to be bad news for your feet for now.

Sorry! I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but if you keep on your plantar fasciitis is going to get worse, and may become chronic. Don't wait for that to happen. Get off your feet now and give them a chance to heal.

You say that your habit of cardio workouts is 'newly formed', so it's likely that this is the cause of your PF, or that at the very least it has aggravated it. There are other ways of getting aerobic exercise that will not insult your feet. Can you swim? Half an hour in the pool 3 or 4 times a week will give you as good a cardiovascular effect as the treadmill, plus an even better workout for your entire body: there's no better all-over stretching exercise.

The recumbent bike has been mentioned here, though not for quite a while, by people who have found that they could use it without making their PF worse. But others have found that they couldn't: it's an individual matter. I certainly wouldn't buy one now.

The bottom line is that pain is a message from your body to please stop whatever is causing the pain. So, as Monte and Carole have already told you, listen to that message. Control your weight with attention to your diet, and with exercise that won't lead to a long-term, possibly disabling condition.

PF is no joke, and it won't go away without sensible treatment that targets its cause. See a podiatrist, get evaluated and diagnosed, and inform yourself by reading the heel pain book for information that will put you in control of your healing.

Best of luck - keep reading the message boards, too. There's a lot of knowledge here.

Re: Barb - PS

Julie on 2/27/02 at 02:16 (075158)

Be careful with stretching. Lots of people, especially the exercise addicts, have been known to overdo it. I'd say keep off weight-bearing exercise: many people have found that the wall stretch, and the hanging-off-the-stair stretch, though usually recommended for PF, have made matters worse. Definitely continue with stretching before getting out of bed. Curl and stretch your toes, bend your feet backwards and forwards at the ankles, and rotate your ankles - these are things you can do sitting in a chair, several times a day.

Oh - and don't go barefoot. Your injured fascia can no longer give your arch the support it needs, so that support has to come from good shoes. Many, including me, have found Birkenstocks excellent.

Pam B on 2/27/02 at 07:41 (075174)

If your feet hurt, STOP......they are telling you something....that old saying no pain no gain is bullcrap.....I too know the weight game as I have been both very big and somewhat small more times than I care to talk about......but I think my determination to be small has hurt my feet along the way......I have other issues that prevent me from exercise but my Physical Therapist always told me when I do exercise, do it in a pool as that is a non weight bearing enviornment......now I am no doctor, but if you insist on this goal of twenty pounds while you are hurting, find a podiatrist and have your feet checked out now before it gets any worse and ask him if you can do some type of exercise in a pool......I know when I heal from recent surgery, I too am going to ask my pod if I can return to this type of workout.......good luck to you and all the advice you get here is GOOD STUFF......especially read the heel pain book Scott has put here on this site and keep us posted......take care :)

Glennx on 2/27/02 at 12:08 (075189)

$25 worth of adjustable Ankle Weights and a knee pad can provide a darn good workout . . . at least for hamstrings, quads, and glutes. I use 'em kneeling, sitting on a step, and lying on my side. Even get into good cardio range for 20 or more minutes -- and NO aggravation to PF.

monte on 2/26/02 at 20:22 (075133)

I agree with the stretching prior to getting out of bed...but you should listen to your feet. If they hurt more from what you have been doing...then stop it. You can do more damage and prolong the healing process. Take the time to heal properly and GRADUALLY you may be able to return to you workouts, maybe in a modified form. But do not continue to hurt yourself.. just my opinion.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/26/02 at 21:04 (075135)

I agree completely with Monte. Do your gentle stretching and listen to your feet. In general, do less than you think you can do, and return to your workouts more gradually than you think you can. PF is so long-lasting and if you can get it to heal soon, you can save yourself months or years of downtime later on.

Also, I'd think twice about buying any new exercise equipment right after getting PF. Even a recumbent bicycle can aggravate your PF, depending on your physical condition and what you do on the bicycle. For now, the recommendations in the heel pain book on this site would be helpful. These include such things as rest, icing, stretching, never going barefoot, and so on.

Good luck and I hope you heal fast!

Carole C

Julie on 2/27/02 at 02:10 (075157)

The treadmill is a definite No-no, Barb. Really. All weight-bearing, impact exercise is going to be bad news for your feet for now.

Sorry! I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but if you keep on your plantar fasciitis is going to get worse, and may become chronic. Don't wait for that to happen. Get off your feet now and give them a chance to heal.

You say that your habit of cardio workouts is 'newly formed', so it's likely that this is the cause of your PF, or that at the very least it has aggravated it. There are other ways of getting aerobic exercise that will not insult your feet. Can you swim? Half an hour in the pool 3 or 4 times a week will give you as good a cardiovascular effect as the treadmill, plus an even better workout for your entire body: there's no better all-over stretching exercise.

The recumbent bike has been mentioned here, though not for quite a while, by people who have found that they could use it without making their PF worse. But others have found that they couldn't: it's an individual matter. I certainly wouldn't buy one now.

The bottom line is that pain is a message from your body to please stop whatever is causing the pain. So, as Monte and Carole have already told you, listen to that message. Control your weight with attention to your diet, and with exercise that won't lead to a long-term, possibly disabling condition.

PF is no joke, and it won't go away without sensible treatment that targets its cause. See a podiatrist, get evaluated and diagnosed, and inform yourself by reading the heel pain book for information that will put you in control of your healing.

Best of luck - keep reading the message boards, too. There's a lot of knowledge here.

Julie on 2/27/02 at 02:16 (075158)

Be careful with stretching. Lots of people, especially the exercise addicts, have been known to overdo it. I'd say keep off weight-bearing exercise: many people have found that the wall stretch, and the hanging-off-the-stair stretch, though usually recommended for PF, have made matters worse. Definitely continue with stretching before getting out of bed. Curl and stretch your toes, bend your feet backwards and forwards at the ankles, and rotate your ankles - these are things you can do sitting in a chair, several times a day.

Oh - and don't go barefoot. Your injured fascia can no longer give your arch the support it needs, so that support has to come from good shoes. Many, including me, have found Birkenstocks excellent.

Pam B on 2/27/02 at 07:41 (075174)

If your feet hurt, STOP......they are telling you something....that old saying no pain no gain is bullcrap.....I too know the weight game as I have been both very big and somewhat small more times than I care to talk about......but I think my determination to be small has hurt my feet along the way......I have other issues that prevent me from exercise but my Physical Therapist always told me when I do exercise, do it in a pool as that is a non weight bearing enviornment......now I am no doctor, but if you insist on this goal of twenty pounds while you are hurting, find a podiatrist and have your feet checked out now before it gets any worse and ask him if you can do some type of exercise in a pool......I know when I heal from recent surgery, I too am going to ask my pod if I can return to this type of workout.......good luck to you and all the advice you get here is GOOD STUFF......especially read the heel pain book Scott has put here on this site and keep us posted......take care :)

Glennx on 2/27/02 at 12:08 (075189)

$25 worth of adjustable Ankle Weights and a knee pad can provide a darn good workout . . . at least for hamstrings, quads, and glutes. I use 'em kneeling, sitting on a step, and lying on my side. Even get into good cardio range for 20 or more minutes -- and NO aggravation to PF.