Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

seavers syndrome

Posted by Steve G on 2/27/02 at 22:21 (075233)

My son has heel pain. The doctor said it is Seavers Syndrome and he will outgrow it when the growth plate in his heel solidifies with the heel bone.
Does this sound right. Also I have a heel spur at the back of my heel and have been told that it is not a good susscess rate operation.

Re: seavers syndrome

wendyn on 2/27/02 at 23:28 (075238)

My son had it at around 12 or 13. He is 16 and fine for a long time now. It seems very common.

Carmen H on 2/28/02 at 07:10 (075258)

As far as your own heel problem is concerned surgery should not be your first thought....research this site first.

Richard, C.Ped on 2/28/02 at 13:30 (075299)

hi Steve...
Sever's disease is another term for a calcaneal apophysitis. We usually see this in young boys from around ages 8 to 13 or 14. Most of the time, the pain is described as sort of a strain on the Achilles postier to the calcaneus. Pain is usually present during running activites as well as standing. We usually fabricate an orthosis the same way as we do for PF. Basically, you want to have proper talonavicular support. Sometimes, we will add a slight heel lift to the orthosis.

Good luck!
Richard

wendyn on 2/27/02 at 23:28 (075238)

My son had it at around 12 or 13. He is 16 and fine for a long time now. It seems very common.

Carmen H on 2/28/02 at 07:10 (075258)

As far as your own heel problem is concerned surgery should not be your first thought....research this site first.

Richard, C.Ped on 2/28/02 at 13:30 (075299)

hi Steve...
Sever's disease is another term for a calcaneal apophysitis. We usually see this in young boys from around ages 8 to 13 or 14. Most of the time, the pain is described as sort of a strain on the Achilles postier to the calcaneus. Pain is usually present during running activites as well as standing. We usually fabricate an orthosis the same way as we do for PF. Basically, you want to have proper talonavicular support. Sometimes, we will add a slight heel lift to the orthosis.

Good luck!
Richard