Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

chiropractors and footstrikes

Posted by Sandy H. on 2/28/02 at 01:38 (075248)

I went to a chiropractor and he said part of my problem is that one of the bones on the top of the foot I have pain in is not properly aligned stopping the ball of my foot from going down so that my heelstrike doesn't roll onto the ball in a smooth movement. Now that I walk I notice that the right foot appears to have a natural roll and the left kind of whacks in on the heel and there is a slight pause before it falls onto the ball. Is there anything that can be done about this sort of rigidity? Personally I am skeptical about chiropractors but have tried everything else. He also said I have left leg longer than the other, hips misaligned etc. I'll keep everyone informed about whether his cracking and tapping does any good!

Re: chiropractors and footstrikes

Carmen H on 2/28/02 at 07:08 (075257)

Just a word of caution....most everyone has a leg longer than the other (even if it's just a teeny tiny little itty bit. I have found that's one thing Chiros like telling people....is it shock value? I don't know...but it's not uncommon.
Hey...my Kinesiologist/chiro helped me tremendously so I am not at all knocking them. I hope it helps!

Julie on 2/28/02 at 10:36 (075275)

'One leg longer' can mean (1) that the leg is actually longer (which can be ascertained by measuring both legs) or (2) that the pelvis is misaligned, which can bring one hip higher than the other (and consequently leave the leg on the lower side 'longer'). If that's the only problem, chiropractice can re-align the pelvis. If the misalignment is caused by spinal scoliosis, it's a good deal more problematic.

Find out which.

Kathy G on 2/28/02 at 12:57 (075292)

Sandy,

Julie is right. You should find out which it is. I have one leg about, well, I don't remember, but it's somewhere between 1/4-1/2' shorter than the other. I never had scoliosis that was extreme enough to correct but have always had back trouble. Over the years, heel lifts have been recommended but I never saw where they helped much, so I haven't really bothered. If it's extreme and caused by scoliosis, you probably would want to see someone other than a chiropractor.

I believe that chiropractic medicine has its place. I go to a fellow who has given me extreme relief with my various problems over the years; ie. lower back, upper back, TMJ, rotator cuff problems. Gosh, I sound like a physical wreck, don't I? Anyway, what I really like about him is that he doesn't do x-rays, doesn't touch anything he thinks may be out of his range of expertise, and above all, he doesn't schedule a program of 3X weekly for the next 6 weeks. I go once and he tells me to call him if I'm no better. Sometimes I go back a second time but often I don't. Another thing I particularly like is that he doesn't pretend that he can cure plantar fasciitis! If only he could!

So, I guess my point is, be careful. Don't get taken in. As my chiropractor ofter laments, there are a number of people who give his whole profession a bad name through their baseless claims. Give him a try and if you see no real improvement after a couple of times, move on. And if your problem is the way you're walking, wouldn't your Pod be better able to correct that through the use of orthotics?

Good luck and be careful!

Richard, C.Ped on 2/28/02 at 13:12 (075293)

Sandy,
Have you ever been given a specific diagnosis concerning your foot condition? Do you have a high, medium, or low arch.

I would love to see a video of you walking.
Richard

Sandy H. on 2/28/02 at 21:58 (075346)

Here are the two diagnosis (I have pain where PF attaches to ball and heel and tibialis posterior pain): Pod 1: feet medium to high arched, on walking foot pronates, flattening the arches with outturning of the feet, which strains soft tissue at arch and ankles. Pronation is secondary due to weakness at both ankles. Pod 2: reasonably normal foot function but mechanical anomalies the most significant of which is left leg almost 1 cm longer than the right (though two other people said it wasn't that big and correcting it with heel lifts would be a bad idea). Increased activity of extensor digitorum longus muscles with subsequent retraction of lesser toes on left side which may suggest some 'abnormal neurology.' hence I went to the chiro. What sort of orthotics/treatment would help that? Pod2 told me the orthotics I was given before restricted my 1st toe joint motion and he would make me new orthotics but to be honest I don't trust orthotics and Asics 2060 motion control shoes seem enough to help stop pronation and absorb the shock from the fact that my left foot is too rigid. Orthotics are too hard and make it feel worse.

Julie on 3/01/02 at 02:40 (075351)

Sandy, I can't speak about orthotics, but I do have another quick comment about heel lifts. They may be a good idea only if the leg length difference is a genuine leg length difference. If it's only an apparent difference, due to misalignment of the pelvis and/or spinal scoliosis, it's not a good idea: it's treating the symptom, not the cause, and can make matters worse.

Sandy H. on 3/03/02 at 04:55 (075517)

No scoliosis ever mentioned but a slight 'subluxation' in one of the discs according to the chiro who looked at the X-ray. I think the only misalignment of the pelvis is because one leg is longer than the other which pushes one hip higher. I don't know how much just getting muscles in shape around that area will help ease whatever nerves etc. are getting pinched but that's what I'm concentrating on along with the chiro guy. I used to have back pain but that got a lot better with doing some of those exercises. That took about two years, repetitive strain injury in my arm cleared up almost completely in two years with exercises and easing off so I'm stiff hopeful about PF as gradually it is getting better. Are you Julie from UK?

Julie on 3/03/02 at 06:59 (075519)

Hi Sandy

If the leg really is longer, and if that's what's causing the misalignment of the pelvis, then a heel lift probably would help you.

Yes, I am that Julie. How did your visit here go?

john h on 3/03/02 at 13:37 (075550)

In my life I think I have been to chiropractor 3 times. I think all three said one leg was shorter than the other although they did not agree on which leg. One of the chiropractors was a lovely lady who did a back 'adjustment'. I do not think it helped my back but it certainly made me feel better. Now all you chiropractors do not get angry with me because I know you are now on the staff's of major orthopedic institutions and hospitals. When I visited chiropractors they were still treating diseases they no longer treat and have come a long way. (Judy will want to smack me across the head if she reads this).

Sandy H. on 3/03/02 at 21:26 (075586)

Well I went to the London Podiatry Center, Julie, and he was the one who started me on the 'back problem' route which I do think has something to do with my problem since it is worst after sitting a long day at a desk job and the post-sleeping and walking pain isn't so significant. He said my foot function is pretty normal but still recommended orthotics which at 200 pounds a whack seem expensive and my experience of orthotics is that they press on my arch and make the pain worse and give me ankle laxity. I tried some NB 854s at his practise which he recommended but they don't support the front of your foot as well as Asics 2060s, which I just bought a second pair of. Not sure if the chiro helped yet as only one visit but my back hurts a bit now (could be after a weekend of helping my wife jiggle a 10K baby though!). I guess you feel a bit of pain in your back but should feel relief lower down in your legs eventually. He told me to expect a bit.

Carmen H on 2/28/02 at 07:08 (075257)

Just a word of caution....most everyone has a leg longer than the other (even if it's just a teeny tiny little itty bit. I have found that's one thing Chiros like telling people....is it shock value? I don't know...but it's not uncommon.
Hey...my Kinesiologist/chiro helped me tremendously so I am not at all knocking them. I hope it helps!

Julie on 2/28/02 at 10:36 (075275)

'One leg longer' can mean (1) that the leg is actually longer (which can be ascertained by measuring both legs) or (2) that the pelvis is misaligned, which can bring one hip higher than the other (and consequently leave the leg on the lower side 'longer'). If that's the only problem, chiropractice can re-align the pelvis. If the misalignment is caused by spinal scoliosis, it's a good deal more problematic.

Find out which.

Kathy G on 2/28/02 at 12:57 (075292)

Sandy,

Julie is right. You should find out which it is. I have one leg about, well, I don't remember, but it's somewhere between 1/4-1/2' shorter than the other. I never had scoliosis that was extreme enough to correct but have always had back trouble. Over the years, heel lifts have been recommended but I never saw where they helped much, so I haven't really bothered. If it's extreme and caused by scoliosis, you probably would want to see someone other than a chiropractor.

I believe that chiropractic medicine has its place. I go to a fellow who has given me extreme relief with my various problems over the years; ie. lower back, upper back, TMJ, rotator cuff problems. Gosh, I sound like a physical wreck, don't I? Anyway, what I really like about him is that he doesn't do x-rays, doesn't touch anything he thinks may be out of his range of expertise, and above all, he doesn't schedule a program of 3X weekly for the next 6 weeks. I go once and he tells me to call him if I'm no better. Sometimes I go back a second time but often I don't. Another thing I particularly like is that he doesn't pretend that he can cure plantar fasciitis! If only he could!

So, I guess my point is, be careful. Don't get taken in. As my chiropractor ofter laments, there are a number of people who give his whole profession a bad name through their baseless claims. Give him a try and if you see no real improvement after a couple of times, move on. And if your problem is the way you're walking, wouldn't your Pod be better able to correct that through the use of orthotics?

Good luck and be careful!

Richard, C.Ped on 2/28/02 at 13:12 (075293)

Sandy,
Have you ever been given a specific diagnosis concerning your foot condition? Do you have a high, medium, or low arch.

I would love to see a video of you walking.
Richard

Sandy H. on 2/28/02 at 21:58 (075346)

Here are the two diagnosis (I have pain where PF attaches to ball and heel and tibialis posterior pain): Pod 1: feet medium to high arched, on walking foot pronates, flattening the arches with outturning of the feet, which strains soft tissue at arch and ankles. Pronation is secondary due to weakness at both ankles. Pod 2: reasonably normal foot function but mechanical anomalies the most significant of which is left leg almost 1 cm longer than the right (though two other people said it wasn't that big and correcting it with heel lifts would be a bad idea). Increased activity of extensor digitorum longus muscles with subsequent retraction of lesser toes on left side which may suggest some 'abnormal neurology.' hence I went to the chiro. What sort of orthotics/treatment would help that? Pod2 told me the orthotics I was given before restricted my 1st toe joint motion and he would make me new orthotics but to be honest I don't trust orthotics and Asics 2060 motion control shoes seem enough to help stop pronation and absorb the shock from the fact that my left foot is too rigid. Orthotics are too hard and make it feel worse.

Julie on 3/01/02 at 02:40 (075351)

Sandy, I can't speak about orthotics, but I do have another quick comment about heel lifts. They may be a good idea only if the leg length difference is a genuine leg length difference. If it's only an apparent difference, due to misalignment of the pelvis and/or spinal scoliosis, it's not a good idea: it's treating the symptom, not the cause, and can make matters worse.

Sandy H. on 3/03/02 at 04:55 (075517)

No scoliosis ever mentioned but a slight 'subluxation' in one of the discs according to the chiro who looked at the X-ray. I think the only misalignment of the pelvis is because one leg is longer than the other which pushes one hip higher. I don't know how much just getting muscles in shape around that area will help ease whatever nerves etc. are getting pinched but that's what I'm concentrating on along with the chiro guy. I used to have back pain but that got a lot better with doing some of those exercises. That took about two years, repetitive strain injury in my arm cleared up almost completely in two years with exercises and easing off so I'm stiff hopeful about PF as gradually it is getting better. Are you Julie from UK?

Julie on 3/03/02 at 06:59 (075519)

Hi Sandy

If the leg really is longer, and if that's what's causing the misalignment of the pelvis, then a heel lift probably would help you.

Yes, I am that Julie. How did your visit here go?

john h on 3/03/02 at 13:37 (075550)

In my life I think I have been to chiropractor 3 times. I think all three said one leg was shorter than the other although they did not agree on which leg. One of the chiropractors was a lovely lady who did a back 'adjustment'. I do not think it helped my back but it certainly made me feel better. Now all you chiropractors do not get angry with me because I know you are now on the staff's of major orthopedic institutions and hospitals. When I visited chiropractors they were still treating diseases they no longer treat and have come a long way. (Judy will want to smack me across the head if she reads this).

Sandy H. on 3/03/02 at 21:26 (075586)

Well I went to the London Podiatry Center, Julie, and he was the one who started me on the 'back problem' route which I do think has something to do with my problem since it is worst after sitting a long day at a desk job and the post-sleeping and walking pain isn't so significant. He said my foot function is pretty normal but still recommended orthotics which at 200 pounds a whack seem expensive and my experience of orthotics is that they press on my arch and make the pain worse and give me ankle laxity. I tried some NB 854s at his practise which he recommended but they don't support the front of your foot as well as Asics 2060s, which I just bought a second pair of. Not sure if the chiro helped yet as only one visit but my back hurts a bit now (could be after a weekend of helping my wife jiggle a 10K baby though!). I guess you feel a bit of pain in your back but should feel relief lower down in your legs eventually. He told me to expect a bit.