Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Nancy S.

Posted by Necee on 2/28/02 at 02:13 (075252)

How's the antique business??
We have a supplier up your way purchasing American antiques. I wish I could make a buying trip up that direction, I'd come see ya!
What's the name of your shop?
Happy Trails to you....
Necee

Re: Nancy S.

nancy s. on 2/28/02 at 15:44 (075309)

hi necee, the store is doing great so far, especially considering it's the dead of winter in a resort town. Opening weekend (3 weekends ago) was absolutely wonderful -- full of people bearing flowers, lots of visits with old antiquing buddies i hadn't seen in a year and a half and with new neighbors, and lots of sales.

i'm open just three days a week for the winter. today was a great day for some reason. i put stuff out front at 8 a.m., and within half an hour everything blew over -- we're getting the arctic stuff from canada, i guess. i thought with this weather that business would be slow -- fewer walk-bys -- but they came anyway.

my store name is NANTIQUES. if you ever come up this way, please do come see me! i don't care whether you buy anything -- would be glad just to meet you!
nancy

nancy s. on 2/28/02 at 15:45 (075310)

necee, i just noticed the time on your post. insomnia? welcome to the club!

Necee on 3/01/02 at 07:54 (075359)

Nancy it sounds like your having fun with your shop!! One of these days I hope that I get to open my very own antique shop.
IF I ever make it up that way I will come visit you. I've never seen that part of the country but have always wanted to.
My late night posts are because I don't have to work on Wednesdays and don't go in till late on Thursdays, so I love staying up late and being online then.
Take care friend and .....
Happy SALES to you........
Necee

Re: Carmen Interrupting./.....

Carmen H on 3/01/02 at 10:32 (075377)

I jsut htought I'd share...that if we move to Tenn. we are thinking about building a house and using the antiques from that old house in KY I told you about....using the old mantel, light fixtures, floor to ceiling shutters for inside windows...etc
Won't that be fun?
I will be asking for your expertise on things if that's the route we go.
:-)

john h on 3/01/02 at 11:45 (075384)

Nancy: when I think of Maine I just cannot get the vision of Jessica Fletcher and the little fishing village in Maine out of my mind. Then I remember my flights into Presque Isle in the midst of winter in an F-94 and am brought back to earth.

nancy s. on 3/01/02 at 20:23 (075429)

i have told you numerous white lies about jessica fletcher, john. she never did live here, and all those murders she thought she solved never even occurred. jessica's just a flake that floats around in the atmosphere.

but yes, we do have some cute fishing villages. we also have hard-to-live places, such as presque isle in the midst of winter when you're landing in an F-94. if i hadn't been busy doing other things in the sixties, john, i'd have warned you not to do that here!

now, about that extremely handsome photo of you from back then -- i think it needs posting in scott's gallery.
nancy

nancy s. on 3/01/02 at 20:37 (075430)

the shop is great fun, necee, and so far has me on my feet way too long. i have to do something about this before i land footwise in hot water -- the very bad, nonliteral kind! it's my own doing and isn't necessary. i just get on a roll creating my little works-of-art corners (i think, heh heh), and five hours seem like one. and then ten hours seem like only two, and so on. i do it mostly because i want people to feel a certain way when they come in: at home but in a magical place full of history at the same time.

if you'd like your own shop, necee, i'm sure you can make it happen someday. i never thought it would happen for me. ironically, the only reason it has happened is that i got pf and everything else and couldn't keep running around to four different shops. so a dream came true, after two years of thinking my life was over. and believe me, i thought it was Over! what a great surprise that it isn't.

in the meantime, happy auctioning, necee.
nancy

wendyn on 3/01/02 at 21:19 (075431)

NancyS, having 'been through' the last two years with you...I cannot tell you how happy it made me to read your post about how everything has turned out so well for you!

nancy s. on 3/02/02 at 06:58 (075455)

thank you, wendy! yes you have been through a lot with me, and you've also helped me a great deal. i'm kind of doubting that my feet will ever be perfect -- but you know what? i don't care anymore. i can take walks, i can do my work (in a new but definitely satisfying way), and i spend most days thinking of things other than my feet. compared with most of life since may 1999, this is paradise and i'm very thankful. best to you too --
nancy

JudyS on 3/03/02 at 10:32 (075528)

Hey Carmen - do you have a digital camera? It sure would be fun to 'watch' your new place take shape!

Carmen H on 3/03/02 at 13:04 (075539)

No Darn it...it will bea good year before we start though...maybe we'll get one by then! ;-)

john h on 3/03/02 at 13:41 (075551)

Presque Isle was definitely not a place to be in the 60's. I was stationed on Cape Cod at Falmouth and me and my buddy had a nice little cottage on the water. Now that was a place to be in the 60's especially in the summer. 21, single, a new car, flying! what else could a guy want.

Re: John

Julie on 3/03/02 at 13:53 (075554)

John, what's happened to your arithmetic? 21 in the 60s? ....

Re: John H

Carole C in NOLA on 3/03/02 at 15:43 (075562)

John,

'Now that was a place to be in the 60's especially in the summer. 21, single, a new car, flying! what else could a guy want.'

John, it's been too long since you were 21. You forgot women and beer! :)

Carole C

John h on 3/03/02 at 18:24 (075569)

Julie dear my math went south! it was in the 50's when I was at Cape Cod and it was still the place to be. I felt like I was 21 in the 60's.

Re: to Nancy S.

Suzanne D on 3/03/02 at 20:29 (075577)

Dear Nancy,
I have been catching up on reading postings tonight and enjoyed reading about your antique shop! Now I hasten to say that I know nothing about antiques, but something grabbed my attention in your statement that you enjoy creating little works of art corners, wanting people to 'feel a certain way...at home but in a magical place...'.

That is how I feel about decorating my classroom! Each year I choose a theme for the decor. Last year I had a train on my door with the caption 'All Aboard for Learning!' I also had a train on the bulletin board, and our big stuffed bear was wearing a train outfit. This year I chose Raggedy Ann and Andy for the door and also curtains at the top of the door. I have a big Raggedy Ann on my back table and Ann and Andy on top of their cubbyholes with old time blocks with ABC's.

Well, enough of that! But, I just felt a kindred spirit in what you were saying about getting carried away and time going by swiftly as you worked to get things 'just right'!

I'd love to visit your shop someday!

Suzanne :-)

Julie on 3/04/02 at 03:55 (075599)

I still feel like I'm 21, John. Well, maybe 31. On a good day.

john h on 3/04/02 at 09:45 (075608)

I have posed this question before Julie but if you did not know how old you were and did not look in the mirror just how old would You Be in your minds eye?

If you could start life over at any age where would you start? Why?

A number of years ago there was story on TV about a 101 year old waiter in NYC who was going to run a 5K.

Jean M on 3/04/02 at 11:50 (075620)

Hi, I don't usually post on this board and am rather new to most of the others as well, but do enjoy reading all the posts. While I am not suffereing from PF I do have PTTD and have found a lot of helpful information here as well as support. This post interested me because my husband and I have a seasonal antique shop that we will reopen for it's 12th season in May. It is the funnest business, so, I can whole heartedly understand your excitement in opening your shop. Ours in our barn built in the early 1900's. We have an ice cream parlor in ours too, with the old fashioned soda fountain and real old fashioned Hamilton Beach Milk Shake machine and malt dispenser, they make the best old fashioned shakes and malts. It is a lot of work but truly a labor of love as we enjoy it so much. Best wishes to you on your new venture, reading about how you feel when building a display made me anxious to get back to our shop to do the same thing. I don't know what is more fun finding the treasures or putting them together for that special look. I am hoping with my up and coming surgery that a speedy recovery is in order so I can enjoy the summer making ice cream treats and selling antiques.

JudyS on 3/04/02 at 12:09 (075623)

Uh oh Jean, I think the next PF party may be at your house/barn what with a real blender for real shakes and all!
Nancy's supply/shop was in her 'barn' also (I actually got to hike through it....what a blast!) until her recent move to a storefront in a neighboring resort town. You two will have a lot to share.

Jean M on 3/04/02 at 13:05 (075637)

Sounds great, we always enjoy great company and great milkshakes! My hubby makes the best :)

Julie on 3/04/02 at 16:54 (075657)

Well John, I think I would be 27, the age I was when we got married, and the age Klaus insisted I was until I was about 57.

If I was to start life over again (I wouldn't, but if I was to...) I would start at 52. No contest, because that's when I began teaching yoga and because it really was the beginning of a new life for me, one that has been completely fulfilling and rewarding as well as endlessly challenging, interesting and joyful, interesting and rewarding.

But I think I'd rather just carry on from here on in, wherever it takes me. We've all got hundreds of lives to live anyway, so why bother starting this one over?

nancy s. on 3/04/02 at 17:53 (075661)

suzanne, isn't it great? imagination runs across many many fields!
and jean, where is your shop? it sounds wonderful! ice cream parlor and all -- wow. as judy said, i used to sell out of my barn but couldn't have an official shop there due to zoning. so i'd have barn sales and rent spaces in group shops. now we've moved to a property with a little victorian cottage on it and a shop next store only ten feet away. it's my first 'real' shop, and after over two years of being down and out with pf etc., i'm having the time of my life -- and the season isn't even here yet! as an artist my media used to be watercolor and handmade paper (separately), and i still hope they will be at times, but these days antiques are my entire medium. many thanks for your good wishes, and same to you.
nancy

Jean M on 3/04/02 at 19:55 (075683)

Our shop is located on the property where we live. We live on a main highway so we truly have a wonderful location. It is in Northeast Wisconsin on a beautiful piece of land called the Door Peninsula. Very beautiful country and a wonderful vacation spot. We have been in the antiques business for twelve years and added the ice cream parlor just two years ago. We are looking to expand into the top of our barn this season, possibly as another shop that we can lease out. We carry antiques as well as new merchandise and also rent out space to other antique dealers as well. Our shop is rather large, there is an old barn plus a large lean- too area on the front. It is wonderful to be able to get up and walk to work, we had a sattelite store for awhile that we closed because of all my foot problems but I had to drive to that one. Last summer I ran the small store and my husband managed the big one. I hope I am going to be back up to par as our season gets into full swing (Memorial Day Weekend). It has been a long haul the last year with this foot. I know that it will take time to heal and I don't intend to push it. I talked to the doc and he said that if I listenend to what I was told that I should be well on my way by then. I would like to thank you for your well wishes, I am sure things will turn out just fine.

JudyS on 3/05/02 at 10:51 (075730)

Jean - such a small world! My husband was born in Door County and we were vacationing up there just a couple of years ago (we're in San Diego). You are so right - it's unbelievably beautiful country and I can't wait to go again.

Jean M on 3/05/02 at 15:51 (075754)

Well let me know the next time your coming, if were open we will have to visit over one of our awesome milkshakes! :)

john h on 3/06/02 at 09:18 (075818)

Julie: I think I would start at age 32 because I could still fly, could almost touch the rim of the basket as in basketball and run 10 miles in a fast time. (Also I had never even heard the words Plantar Fasciaitis).

Julie on 3/06/02 at 15:47 (075847)

John, if we were both 32 again I would come flying in your plane with you. And yes, wouldn't it be nice NEVER to have heard the words Plantar Fasciitis.

nancy s. on 2/28/02 at 15:44 (075309)

hi necee, the store is doing great so far, especially considering it's the dead of winter in a resort town. Opening weekend (3 weekends ago) was absolutely wonderful -- full of people bearing flowers, lots of visits with old antiquing buddies i hadn't seen in a year and a half and with new neighbors, and lots of sales.

i'm open just three days a week for the winter. today was a great day for some reason. i put stuff out front at 8 a.m., and within half an hour everything blew over -- we're getting the arctic stuff from canada, i guess. i thought with this weather that business would be slow -- fewer walk-bys -- but they came anyway.

my store name is NANTIQUES. if you ever come up this way, please do come see me! i don't care whether you buy anything -- would be glad just to meet you!
nancy

nancy s. on 2/28/02 at 15:45 (075310)

necee, i just noticed the time on your post. insomnia? welcome to the club!

Necee on 3/01/02 at 07:54 (075359)

Nancy it sounds like your having fun with your shop!! One of these days I hope that I get to open my very own antique shop.
IF I ever make it up that way I will come visit you. I've never seen that part of the country but have always wanted to.
My late night posts are because I don't have to work on Wednesdays and don't go in till late on Thursdays, so I love staying up late and being online then.
Take care friend and .....
Happy SALES to you........
Necee

Carmen H on 3/01/02 at 10:32 (075377)

I jsut htought I'd share...that if we move to Tenn. we are thinking about building a house and using the antiques from that old house in KY I told you about....using the old mantel, light fixtures, floor to ceiling shutters for inside windows...etc
Won't that be fun?
I will be asking for your expertise on things if that's the route we go.
:-)

john h on 3/01/02 at 11:45 (075384)

Nancy: when I think of Maine I just cannot get the vision of Jessica Fletcher and the little fishing village in Maine out of my mind. Then I remember my flights into Presque Isle in the midst of winter in an F-94 and am brought back to earth.

nancy s. on 3/01/02 at 20:23 (075429)

i have told you numerous white lies about jessica fletcher, john. she never did live here, and all those murders she thought she solved never even occurred. jessica's just a flake that floats around in the atmosphere.

but yes, we do have some cute fishing villages. we also have hard-to-live places, such as presque isle in the midst of winter when you're landing in an F-94. if i hadn't been busy doing other things in the sixties, john, i'd have warned you not to do that here!

now, about that extremely handsome photo of you from back then -- i think it needs posting in scott's gallery.
nancy

nancy s. on 3/01/02 at 20:37 (075430)

the shop is great fun, necee, and so far has me on my feet way too long. i have to do something about this before i land footwise in hot water -- the very bad, nonliteral kind! it's my own doing and isn't necessary. i just get on a roll creating my little works-of-art corners (i think, heh heh), and five hours seem like one. and then ten hours seem like only two, and so on. i do it mostly because i want people to feel a certain way when they come in: at home but in a magical place full of history at the same time.

if you'd like your own shop, necee, i'm sure you can make it happen someday. i never thought it would happen for me. ironically, the only reason it has happened is that i got pf and everything else and couldn't keep running around to four different shops. so a dream came true, after two years of thinking my life was over. and believe me, i thought it was Over! what a great surprise that it isn't.

in the meantime, happy auctioning, necee.
nancy

wendyn on 3/01/02 at 21:19 (075431)

NancyS, having 'been through' the last two years with you...I cannot tell you how happy it made me to read your post about how everything has turned out so well for you!

nancy s. on 3/02/02 at 06:58 (075455)

thank you, wendy! yes you have been through a lot with me, and you've also helped me a great deal. i'm kind of doubting that my feet will ever be perfect -- but you know what? i don't care anymore. i can take walks, i can do my work (in a new but definitely satisfying way), and i spend most days thinking of things other than my feet. compared with most of life since may 1999, this is paradise and i'm very thankful. best to you too --
nancy

JudyS on 3/03/02 at 10:32 (075528)

Hey Carmen - do you have a digital camera? It sure would be fun to 'watch' your new place take shape!

Carmen H on 3/03/02 at 13:04 (075539)

No Darn it...it will bea good year before we start though...maybe we'll get one by then! ;-)

john h on 3/03/02 at 13:41 (075551)

Presque Isle was definitely not a place to be in the 60's. I was stationed on Cape Cod at Falmouth and me and my buddy had a nice little cottage on the water. Now that was a place to be in the 60's especially in the summer. 21, single, a new car, flying! what else could a guy want.

Julie on 3/03/02 at 13:53 (075554)

John, what's happened to your arithmetic? 21 in the 60s? ....

Re: John H

Carole C in NOLA on 3/03/02 at 15:43 (075562)

John,

'Now that was a place to be in the 60's especially in the summer. 21, single, a new car, flying! what else could a guy want.'

John, it's been too long since you were 21. You forgot women and beer! :)

Carole C

John h on 3/03/02 at 18:24 (075569)

Julie dear my math went south! it was in the 50's when I was at Cape Cod and it was still the place to be. I felt like I was 21 in the 60's.

Re: to Nancy S.

Suzanne D on 3/03/02 at 20:29 (075577)

Dear Nancy,
I have been catching up on reading postings tonight and enjoyed reading about your antique shop! Now I hasten to say that I know nothing about antiques, but something grabbed my attention in your statement that you enjoy creating little works of art corners, wanting people to 'feel a certain way...at home but in a magical place...'.

That is how I feel about decorating my classroom! Each year I choose a theme for the decor. Last year I had a train on my door with the caption 'All Aboard for Learning!' I also had a train on the bulletin board, and our big stuffed bear was wearing a train outfit. This year I chose Raggedy Ann and Andy for the door and also curtains at the top of the door. I have a big Raggedy Ann on my back table and Ann and Andy on top of their cubbyholes with old time blocks with ABC's.

Well, enough of that! But, I just felt a kindred spirit in what you were saying about getting carried away and time going by swiftly as you worked to get things 'just right'!

I'd love to visit your shop someday!

Suzanne :-)

Julie on 3/04/02 at 03:55 (075599)

I still feel like I'm 21, John. Well, maybe 31. On a good day.

john h on 3/04/02 at 09:45 (075608)

I have posed this question before Julie but if you did not know how old you were and did not look in the mirror just how old would You Be in your minds eye?

If you could start life over at any age where would you start? Why?

A number of years ago there was story on TV about a 101 year old waiter in NYC who was going to run a 5K.

Jean M on 3/04/02 at 11:50 (075620)

Hi, I don't usually post on this board and am rather new to most of the others as well, but do enjoy reading all the posts. While I am not suffereing from PF I do have PTTD and have found a lot of helpful information here as well as support. This post interested me because my husband and I have a seasonal antique shop that we will reopen for it's 12th season in May. It is the funnest business, so, I can whole heartedly understand your excitement in opening your shop. Ours in our barn built in the early 1900's. We have an ice cream parlor in ours too, with the old fashioned soda fountain and real old fashioned Hamilton Beach Milk Shake machine and malt dispenser, they make the best old fashioned shakes and malts. It is a lot of work but truly a labor of love as we enjoy it so much. Best wishes to you on your new venture, reading about how you feel when building a display made me anxious to get back to our shop to do the same thing. I don't know what is more fun finding the treasures or putting them together for that special look. I am hoping with my up and coming surgery that a speedy recovery is in order so I can enjoy the summer making ice cream treats and selling antiques.

JudyS on 3/04/02 at 12:09 (075623)

Uh oh Jean, I think the next PF party may be at your house/barn what with a real blender for real shakes and all!
Nancy's supply/shop was in her 'barn' also (I actually got to hike through it....what a blast!) until her recent move to a storefront in a neighboring resort town. You two will have a lot to share.

Jean M on 3/04/02 at 13:05 (075637)

Sounds great, we always enjoy great company and great milkshakes! My hubby makes the best :)

Julie on 3/04/02 at 16:54 (075657)

Well John, I think I would be 27, the age I was when we got married, and the age Klaus insisted I was until I was about 57.

If I was to start life over again (I wouldn't, but if I was to...) I would start at 52. No contest, because that's when I began teaching yoga and because it really was the beginning of a new life for me, one that has been completely fulfilling and rewarding as well as endlessly challenging, interesting and joyful, interesting and rewarding.

But I think I'd rather just carry on from here on in, wherever it takes me. We've all got hundreds of lives to live anyway, so why bother starting this one over?

nancy s. on 3/04/02 at 17:53 (075661)

suzanne, isn't it great? imagination runs across many many fields!
and jean, where is your shop? it sounds wonderful! ice cream parlor and all -- wow. as judy said, i used to sell out of my barn but couldn't have an official shop there due to zoning. so i'd have barn sales and rent spaces in group shops. now we've moved to a property with a little victorian cottage on it and a shop next store only ten feet away. it's my first 'real' shop, and after over two years of being down and out with pf etc., i'm having the time of my life -- and the season isn't even here yet! as an artist my media used to be watercolor and handmade paper (separately), and i still hope they will be at times, but these days antiques are my entire medium. many thanks for your good wishes, and same to you.
nancy

Jean M on 3/04/02 at 19:55 (075683)

Our shop is located on the property where we live. We live on a main highway so we truly have a wonderful location. It is in Northeast Wisconsin on a beautiful piece of land called the Door Peninsula. Very beautiful country and a wonderful vacation spot. We have been in the antiques business for twelve years and added the ice cream parlor just two years ago. We are looking to expand into the top of our barn this season, possibly as another shop that we can lease out. We carry antiques as well as new merchandise and also rent out space to other antique dealers as well. Our shop is rather large, there is an old barn plus a large lean- too area on the front. It is wonderful to be able to get up and walk to work, we had a sattelite store for awhile that we closed because of all my foot problems but I had to drive to that one. Last summer I ran the small store and my husband managed the big one. I hope I am going to be back up to par as our season gets into full swing (Memorial Day Weekend). It has been a long haul the last year with this foot. I know that it will take time to heal and I don't intend to push it. I talked to the doc and he said that if I listenend to what I was told that I should be well on my way by then. I would like to thank you for your well wishes, I am sure things will turn out just fine.

JudyS on 3/05/02 at 10:51 (075730)

Jean - such a small world! My husband was born in Door County and we were vacationing up there just a couple of years ago (we're in San Diego). You are so right - it's unbelievably beautiful country and I can't wait to go again.

Jean M on 3/05/02 at 15:51 (075754)

Well let me know the next time your coming, if were open we will have to visit over one of our awesome milkshakes! :)

john h on 3/06/02 at 09:18 (075818)

Julie: I think I would start at age 32 because I could still fly, could almost touch the rim of the basket as in basketball and run 10 miles in a fast time. (Also I had never even heard the words Plantar Fasciaitis).

Julie on 3/06/02 at 15:47 (075847)

John, if we were both 32 again I would come flying in your plane with you. And yes, wouldn't it be nice NEVER to have heard the words Plantar Fasciitis.