Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

2 days after

Posted by trish e on 2/28/02 at 07:54 (075261)

hi everyone,just wanted to keep yal up dated on my surgrey,i,am 2 days post and no pain to talk about.i haven,t taken a pain pill since 3am last night,my dr did the tarsal tunnel and the fussisa,sorry i know i spelled that wrong.i,am nwb for the first 3 wks,so all of you ppl having these horror stories with the pain,must be in the dr,cause iam pain free,have a great day !

Re: For every horror story there has to be a flip side with positive,

Tammie on 2/28/02 at 09:45 (075272)

I hope your recovery continues as well! Our best thoughts and prayers are with you! I don't exactly agree with all that you have stated about Dr.s but in your case I only wish for your recovery to be perfect with out any complications! Remember it may take a long while!Keep up the positive outlook!

For every horror story there has to be positive ones also, so hope that you are the flip side with the positive!

Pam B on 2/28/02 at 11:05 (075279)

Each patient is different and each one responds to surgery in a different way.......no two problems are the same and some patients just cant handle pain as well as others can.......but even more than that, I think it depends on how your feet got to however they were prior to surgery......since the bio-mechanics caused the problem I would think that makes a very big difference in how a patient responds to surgery depending on any damage done to the foot during the conservative treatment period.......I know from my own recent surgery that my foot hurt more when they removed the cast after the first week due to swelling......so I think there are so many factors that contribute to the pain to begin with which is why we all respond differently as do our bodies.....

I am very happy your surgery went well, as did mine......but I do still take the meds as I truly can feel pain.....not all the time but at times for whatever the reason, it does hurt enough to need relief.......I do not blame my pain on my doc but instead on my bodies reaction to the doc disturbing the internal parts of my foot and even weather plays a part in pain.....my surgeon corrected the problem now it is my bodies turn to respond to the correction......

I hope your recovery continues to be pain free as I am sure you have suffered long enough waiting to get to this point......it is so good to feel good isnt it????? I too feel alot better than I did prior to surgery and I know I am going to be alot better as time moves forward.....time and a positive attitude will finish what the doc started :)

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/04/02 at 18:42 (075672)

So true. Doctors still cannot explain the reason why patients respond so differently to surgery. That 'gray' area is the area of risk outside of anyone's control.
Ed

trish e on 3/04/02 at 23:42 (075701)

hi pam,i think you may have taken what i wrote the wrong way,i wasn,t putting down anyone,just had read so many stories of pure fear,that i felt so lucky not to feel the way these other people did.thank you for your reply.

john h on 4/11/02 at 10:18 (079220)

I would hazard a guess Dr. Ed that since there are various reasons we all have PF then we will all have different outcomes after PF surgery. Some people have better immune systems and will heal faster. I know it is commonly accepted that PF is the result of microtears in the fascia creating inflamation but there are stil people in the medical profession who have other explanations for PF pain. Sure would be nice if we could see the 'pain generator' on an MRI. When I had PF surgery my most important question to my doctor was not 'will this cure me or make me better?' but 'will this make me worse?'.

Tammie on 2/28/02 at 09:45 (075272)

I hope your recovery continues as well! Our best thoughts and prayers are with you! I don't exactly agree with all that you have stated about Dr.s but in your case I only wish for your recovery to be perfect with out any complications! Remember it may take a long while!Keep up the positive outlook!

For every horror story there has to be positive ones also, so hope that you are the flip side with the positive!

Pam B on 2/28/02 at 11:05 (075279)

Each patient is different and each one responds to surgery in a different way.......no two problems are the same and some patients just cant handle pain as well as others can.......but even more than that, I think it depends on how your feet got to however they were prior to surgery......since the bio-mechanics caused the problem I would think that makes a very big difference in how a patient responds to surgery depending on any damage done to the foot during the conservative treatment period.......I know from my own recent surgery that my foot hurt more when they removed the cast after the first week due to swelling......so I think there are so many factors that contribute to the pain to begin with which is why we all respond differently as do our bodies.....

I am very happy your surgery went well, as did mine......but I do still take the meds as I truly can feel pain.....not all the time but at times for whatever the reason, it does hurt enough to need relief.......I do not blame my pain on my doc but instead on my bodies reaction to the doc disturbing the internal parts of my foot and even weather plays a part in pain.....my surgeon corrected the problem now it is my bodies turn to respond to the correction......

I hope your recovery continues to be pain free as I am sure you have suffered long enough waiting to get to this point......it is so good to feel good isnt it????? I too feel alot better than I did prior to surgery and I know I am going to be alot better as time moves forward.....time and a positive attitude will finish what the doc started :)

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/04/02 at 18:42 (075672)

So true. Doctors still cannot explain the reason why patients respond so differently to surgery. That 'gray' area is the area of risk outside of anyone's control.
Ed

trish e on 3/04/02 at 23:42 (075701)

hi pam,i think you may have taken what i wrote the wrong way,i wasn,t putting down anyone,just had read so many stories of pure fear,that i felt so lucky not to feel the way these other people did.thank you for your reply.

john h on 4/11/02 at 10:18 (079220)

I would hazard a guess Dr. Ed that since there are various reasons we all have PF then we will all have different outcomes after PF surgery. Some people have better immune systems and will heal faster. I know it is commonly accepted that PF is the result of microtears in the fascia creating inflamation but there are stil people in the medical profession who have other explanations for PF pain. Sure would be nice if we could see the 'pain generator' on an MRI. When I had PF surgery my most important question to my doctor was not 'will this cure me or make me better?' but 'will this make me worse?'.