Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

article

Posted by Carmen H on 2/28/02 at 09:12 (075267)

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010201/467.html

Re: article/ a interesting site

Tammie on 2/28/02 at 09:38 (075270)

Carmen, Thank u for that site It is really a imformitive area! I have been reading it and looking at pics there and I think it has alot of good information! Thanks I bookmarked it !

Re: article

Carole C in NOLA on 2/28/02 at 11:51 (075289)

Carmen, I love that article! I learned some things from it, too. Thank you for the link.

Carole C

brianh on 2/28/02 at 15:59 (075312)

The only problem with the article is that it doesn't address the logical question that arises from the point it raises. It states 'The cause of the degeneration is repetitive microtears of the plantar fascia that overcome the body's ability to repair itself.' But it never says what the body does need to repair the fascia. That's the first question I asked when I read this. If this premise is correct, could it be possible that the whole PF problem for many sufferers stems from a shortage of the raw materials required to rebuild the fascia? Clearly, if the necessary building blocks are lacking, it will have a definate impact on the effectiveness of any and all of the treatments discussed in the article.

Rick R on 3/01/02 at 11:24 (075382)

Brian,

Good point, that repair process does seem to be at least one of the key's. I sure wish the first doctor I saw for PF back in 1983 had this information. I wonder if there is a corellation between PF and the amount of sleep we get. You would think regardless of all the other significant variables involved in PF, if we don't have enough down time for the repairs we can't keep up with the dammage.

My only additional critique is the discussion of the relative merits of taping vs. orthotics. The approach seems to assume that the two are mutually exclusive. Tape and orthitics have been quite efficteve for me and are a natural combination, not competing choices.

Rick

Re: article/ a interesting site

Tammie on 2/28/02 at 09:38 (075270)

Carmen, Thank u for that site It is really a imformitive area! I have been reading it and looking at pics there and I think it has alot of good information! Thanks I bookmarked it !

Carole C in NOLA on 2/28/02 at 11:51 (075289)

Carmen, I love that article! I learned some things from it, too. Thank you for the link.

Carole C

brianh on 2/28/02 at 15:59 (075312)

The only problem with the article is that it doesn't address the logical question that arises from the point it raises. It states 'The cause of the degeneration is repetitive microtears of the plantar fascia that overcome the body's ability to repair itself.' But it never says what the body does need to repair the fascia. That's the first question I asked when I read this. If this premise is correct, could it be possible that the whole PF problem for many sufferers stems from a shortage of the raw materials required to rebuild the fascia? Clearly, if the necessary building blocks are lacking, it will have a definate impact on the effectiveness of any and all of the treatments discussed in the article.

Rick R on 3/01/02 at 11:24 (075382)

Brian,

Good point, that repair process does seem to be at least one of the key's. I sure wish the first doctor I saw for PF back in 1983 had this information. I wonder if there is a corellation between PF and the amount of sleep we get. You would think regardless of all the other significant variables involved in PF, if we don't have enough down time for the repairs we can't keep up with the dammage.

My only additional critique is the discussion of the relative merits of taping vs. orthotics. The approach seems to assume that the two are mutually exclusive. Tape and orthitics have been quite efficteve for me and are a natural combination, not competing choices.

Rick