Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birkenstock dress shoes?

Posted by Dean H on 2/28/02 at 18:59 (075328)

Any opinions or Birk dress shoes vs. sandals or other dress shoes?

I experimented with an old pair of Arizonas. Didn't work well - too much heel impact - but that could also be because they're 42 and I should take 41, and the straps way be weak with age.

A local (Oakland, CA) Birkenstock store has dress shoes, which of course cover the back of the heel more. I may try them, but I'd like to know what others think.

Thanks,
Dean

Re: Birkenstock dress shoes?

Suzanne D on 2/28/02 at 19:35 (075330)

Dean, I wouldn't know about the men's shoes, but I wear Arizonas, Bostons, and the Annalpolis shoes which are a closed women's dress shoe. They have the Footprints footbed which does not have as much of a pronounced arch as the Classic or Tatami type of Birkenstock. But they are still better for my feet than any other dress shoe I have tried on. I think the style of footbed tells more about the shoe than anything else. You can read about the different footbeds and their features online on the Birkenstock website. Of course it would be best if you could go to one of their stores to try them on. My feet feel the best in the Arizona sandals, but I can tolerate the Annapolis shoes well, especially for shorter periods of time. I would love to be able to change the footbeds in the shoes to one with more arch support; they are removable, so I am going to ask that question the next time I am able to go to one of their stores.

Good luckk to you! :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/28/02 at 21:17 (075341)

Suzanne's comments are excellent and it is difficult to add much, especially since I've not tried any of the shoes.

You are so lucky to live in an area where there are excellent Birkenstock stores. I'd suggest talking to the sales people there, and tell them that you have PF.

I did that at my local store, and also told them that I need a very high arch. The sales person told me to stay away from the Birkenstock 'Footprints' line (which includes most of the shoes, and has only low arch support). However, you may not have as high an arch. I've never tried any of them on. Birkenstock 'Footprints' shoes are not as well known for helping PF as their classic footbed sandals, but pay attention to what your feet say when you try them on; see how they feel. They might be great for you, especially if you do not need a high arch in a shoe and if your PF is not too bad at present.

The Birkenstock 'Arizonas' seem to be the most popular with PF sufferers (even in the winter, and lucky you! summer is coming). I'd suggest going to the Birkenstock store in person and be fitted for a pair of Arizonas in the right size for you. The size makes a big difference in these shoes and how they feel, because of the orthotic. See how the proper size of Arizonas feel in the store. Get the ones with the real leather uppers, not the plastic, because apparently that affects the fit. You might want to try on some with the 'soft footbed' if you have sensitive feet, but keep in mind that the regular 'classic footbed' is what seems to work best for most of us. Break them in as directed..... usually a half hour the first day, increasing by an hour or so each day. If they don't help you, then maybe Birkenstocks are not for you.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 2/28/02 at 19:35 (075330)

Dean, I wouldn't know about the men's shoes, but I wear Arizonas, Bostons, and the Annalpolis shoes which are a closed women's dress shoe. They have the Footprints footbed which does not have as much of a pronounced arch as the Classic or Tatami type of Birkenstock. But they are still better for my feet than any other dress shoe I have tried on. I think the style of footbed tells more about the shoe than anything else. You can read about the different footbeds and their features online on the Birkenstock website. Of course it would be best if you could go to one of their stores to try them on. My feet feel the best in the Arizona sandals, but I can tolerate the Annapolis shoes well, especially for shorter periods of time. I would love to be able to change the footbeds in the shoes to one with more arch support; they are removable, so I am going to ask that question the next time I am able to go to one of their stores.

Good luckk to you! :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/28/02 at 21:17 (075341)

Suzanne's comments are excellent and it is difficult to add much, especially since I've not tried any of the shoes.

You are so lucky to live in an area where there are excellent Birkenstock stores. I'd suggest talking to the sales people there, and tell them that you have PF.

I did that at my local store, and also told them that I need a very high arch. The sales person told me to stay away from the Birkenstock 'Footprints' line (which includes most of the shoes, and has only low arch support). However, you may not have as high an arch. I've never tried any of them on. Birkenstock 'Footprints' shoes are not as well known for helping PF as their classic footbed sandals, but pay attention to what your feet say when you try them on; see how they feel. They might be great for you, especially if you do not need a high arch in a shoe and if your PF is not too bad at present.

The Birkenstock 'Arizonas' seem to be the most popular with PF sufferers (even in the winter, and lucky you! summer is coming). I'd suggest going to the Birkenstock store in person and be fitted for a pair of Arizonas in the right size for you. The size makes a big difference in these shoes and how they feel, because of the orthotic. See how the proper size of Arizonas feel in the store. Get the ones with the real leather uppers, not the plastic, because apparently that affects the fit. You might want to try on some with the 'soft footbed' if you have sensitive feet, but keep in mind that the regular 'classic footbed' is what seems to work best for most of us. Break them in as directed..... usually a half hour the first day, increasing by an hour or so each day. If they don't help you, then maybe Birkenstocks are not for you.

Carole C