Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

NORTHFACE TARGAS

Posted by RACHAEL T. on 2/28/02 at 23:26 (075347)

For those of you who have found comfort with wearing North Face Targas, please advise what style is most comfy & more recommended for women who have P.F. Thank you - I await your reply.

Re: NORTHFACE TARGAS

Carole C in NOLA on 3/01/02 at 08:14 (075360)

Unless I misunderstand, 'Targas' itself is the style name of the NorthFace shoe that some people have recommended. http://www.northface.com

Carole C

RACHAEL T. on 3/01/02 at 08:42 (075366)

Thanks for info on the North Face Targas - I am going to try them.....hopefully these shoes will stay on my feet, instead of in my closet.....& they'll be a welcomed change from my Ariat riding boots, Birk Bostons, & NB.

Re: The search for the perfect shoe...

Carole C in NOLA on 3/01/02 at 08:57 (075368)

Don't forget to let us know how they are! We want reports. :) Positive or negative reports are both welcome. We are all in the same boat and many of us are actively seeking a shoe that will give us the most mobility with the least pain.

I am wearing my brand new Birkenstock high arch Tatami Fuldas today. They are pretty comfortable, probably the most comfortable Birkenstocks for me, and in mocha nubuck with nice socks they are even very attractive looking! But, I am always looking for another shoe. I'd like to wear an attractive tie-up shoe again. The search for the perfect shoe never ends.

My feet seem to think that with the right shoe, my PF will just magically go away. My mind tells me that more than the right shoe is needed for that. But still, I think I might try on NB 1121 tomorrow if I can find a pair for sale in a 9 1/2 B.

Carole C

Sandy H. on 3/05/02 at 09:32 (075721)

I see a targa on the website but not a targas and i tried the targa on. they didn't feel too bad but nothing v. special in terms of motion control as far as I could tell. not much heel cushioning and quite a low ride. I will buy them if someone says they are good.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/05/02 at 19:06 (075774)

Sandy, Julie is the one who likes the Targa (plural is Targas), and I believe you are right about it not being a motion control shoe. Many of us do better with shoes that are not motion control shoes. My first experience with a motion control shoe is detailed on a recent thread on the 'Inserts, orthotics, and shoes' message board on this site. Wearing motions control shoes, I found myself walking with my feet very strongly turned in a lateral direction. Luckily Donna SL and some others warned me about that shoe not being right for everyone, and so I had to return them for fear of developing other conditions.

We are all such individuals, and the shoe that might be just right for a severe pronator might not work well for someone who needs a more neutral shoe, and vice versa.

I have heard that a good motion control shoe is the NB 1121 (so I will avoid it, but you might like it).

Carole C

Julie on 3/05/02 at 22:08 (075788)

The North Face Targa is not a motion control shoe. It's a neutral hiking shoe. I wear them and love them for their thick sole, good tread (irrelevant if you're not doing a lot of rough walking) and their wide, high, toebox. They're extremely durable, very stable.

It depends what you're looking for in a shoe.

Sandy H. on 3/06/02 at 01:17 (075796)

why is a wide, high, toebox good? I did like the stability. May still try a pair. I wear Asics 2060 which are dual density but I don't know if its the fact that they have stability and shock absorption or whether they tilt my feet back to neutral. (I'm not flat footed)

john h on 3/06/02 at 09:12 (075817)

I think everything I have ever read about shoes always recommends wide toeboxes. Not just for people with bad feet but for anyone who do not want to develop bad feet. You see this much more in European shoes than in the U.S.

Julie on 3/06/02 at 15:35 (075844)

The Targa toebox is good for me, because I need it. I need house room for my bunions, and my orthotics. I'm not recommending the Targas, just saying that they're right for me: the best shoes I've had.

john h on 3/07/02 at 09:43 (075894)

I have often considered some boots or high top hiking type wear as that would be entirely different from any shoe I have worn. They would tend to stabalize the entire foot and ankle more. Where that is good or bad I guess it depends on you and your foot. I may take a look at these North Face Targas. Anyway, it would be cool when someone ask you what you are wearing and you could say 'North Face Targas Dude'! You would have to be a manly man or a womanly woman to wear these babies. I will stop in my local outdoor store today and look these over.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/01/02 at 08:14 (075360)

Unless I misunderstand, 'Targas' itself is the style name of the NorthFace shoe that some people have recommended. http://www.northface.com

Carole C

RACHAEL T. on 3/01/02 at 08:42 (075366)

Thanks for info on the North Face Targas - I am going to try them.....hopefully these shoes will stay on my feet, instead of in my closet.....& they'll be a welcomed change from my Ariat riding boots, Birk Bostons, & NB.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/01/02 at 08:57 (075368)

Don't forget to let us know how they are! We want reports. :) Positive or negative reports are both welcome. We are all in the same boat and many of us are actively seeking a shoe that will give us the most mobility with the least pain.

I am wearing my brand new Birkenstock high arch Tatami Fuldas today. They are pretty comfortable, probably the most comfortable Birkenstocks for me, and in mocha nubuck with nice socks they are even very attractive looking! But, I am always looking for another shoe. I'd like to wear an attractive tie-up shoe again. The search for the perfect shoe never ends.

My feet seem to think that with the right shoe, my PF will just magically go away. My mind tells me that more than the right shoe is needed for that. But still, I think I might try on NB 1121 tomorrow if I can find a pair for sale in a 9 1/2 B.

Carole C

Sandy H. on 3/05/02 at 09:32 (075721)

I see a targa on the website but not a targas and i tried the targa on. they didn't feel too bad but nothing v. special in terms of motion control as far as I could tell. not much heel cushioning and quite a low ride. I will buy them if someone says they are good.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/05/02 at 19:06 (075774)

Sandy, Julie is the one who likes the Targa (plural is Targas), and I believe you are right about it not being a motion control shoe. Many of us do better with shoes that are not motion control shoes. My first experience with a motion control shoe is detailed on a recent thread on the 'Inserts, orthotics, and shoes' message board on this site. Wearing motions control shoes, I found myself walking with my feet very strongly turned in a lateral direction. Luckily Donna SL and some others warned me about that shoe not being right for everyone, and so I had to return them for fear of developing other conditions.

We are all such individuals, and the shoe that might be just right for a severe pronator might not work well for someone who needs a more neutral shoe, and vice versa.

I have heard that a good motion control shoe is the NB 1121 (so I will avoid it, but you might like it).

Carole C

Julie on 3/05/02 at 22:08 (075788)

The North Face Targa is not a motion control shoe. It's a neutral hiking shoe. I wear them and love them for their thick sole, good tread (irrelevant if you're not doing a lot of rough walking) and their wide, high, toebox. They're extremely durable, very stable.

It depends what you're looking for in a shoe.

Sandy H. on 3/06/02 at 01:17 (075796)

why is a wide, high, toebox good? I did like the stability. May still try a pair. I wear Asics 2060 which are dual density but I don't know if its the fact that they have stability and shock absorption or whether they tilt my feet back to neutral. (I'm not flat footed)

john h on 3/06/02 at 09:12 (075817)

I think everything I have ever read about shoes always recommends wide toeboxes. Not just for people with bad feet but for anyone who do not want to develop bad feet. You see this much more in European shoes than in the U.S.

Julie on 3/06/02 at 15:35 (075844)

The Targa toebox is good for me, because I need it. I need house room for my bunions, and my orthotics. I'm not recommending the Targas, just saying that they're right for me: the best shoes I've had.

john h on 3/07/02 at 09:43 (075894)

I have often considered some boots or high top hiking type wear as that would be entirely different from any shoe I have worn. They would tend to stabalize the entire foot and ankle more. Where that is good or bad I guess it depends on you and your foot. I may take a look at these North Face Targas. Anyway, it would be cool when someone ask you what you are wearing and you could say 'North Face Targas Dude'! You would have to be a manly man or a womanly woman to wear these babies. I will stop in my local outdoor store today and look these over.