Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Icing after ESWT

Posted by Gurudutt S on 3/01/02 at 00:22 (075349)

I had ESWT done on my right foot for PF about 12 weeks ago, here in
the Bay Area. That was the first time I had it done.
My doctor told me not to Ice my foot. How long should
one stay away from icing. I am certainly not pain free at the moment
and I am wondering if there is any harm in icing after 12 weeks or so.
Could any you throw some light on this.

My feet still get sore after a trip to the mall and it is hard to
resist throwing some ice on it.

Re: Icing after ESWT

Steve M on 3/01/02 at 12:50 (075393)

I too live in the bay area. Can you tell me where you had ESWT, which Dr. did it. And if it was sucessful. Thank you

Cindy the reluctant Okie on 3/01/02 at 19:53 (075427)

Hi,

You should ask your doctor....however Dr. Zuckerman has treated both my heels twice ESWT and recommends heat on treated heel(s) for six weeks after treatment. He does say to ice at any time you feel sharp pain.

Namaste and Good Healing,
Cindy

monte on 3/02/02 at 10:57 (075465)

cindy

dr Z did my heels too...along with Dr Braver. I didn't know I had to use heat for 6 weeks. I did it for 2 weeks. I ice every night after working all day and commuting. Is that wrong? I do take hot baths and soak my feet and then ice too. Is this all OK or should i use my heating pad for a little while at night?

Gurudutt S on 3/03/02 at 21:47 (075590)

I had my ESWT done by Dr. Lawrence Oloff at the Sequoia Hospital in Redwood City. Dr. Oloff is a podiatrist who works for SOAR, a team of doctors who specialize in sport related injuries. Checkout their website http://www.soar.com . They
are by far the most professional of outfits I have ever seen, They have several offices - Menlo Park, Palo Alto, and
San Jose.

I have PF on both feet and I have had ESWT once only on my right foot so far. I am scheduled for the left foot later this month.
I have reasonable improvement tho I feel I need another session on my right foot.
Re: Icing, my doc told me to resist icing as long as possible. I'd just like to hear other opinions on this.
Thnx to those who replied!

Allan G on 3/12/02 at 17:29 (076289)

Hi
It is very important NOT to ice after treatments. The whole idea of ESWT is to promote a new metabloic reaction in the area to try and get the body to heal itself. That means the body sends an increase of blood to the area to promote the healing. If you ICE the region then you diminish the blood to that area and therefore diminish the chances of a healing mechanism( You Ice a bruise to stop bleediing in the tissues, we don't want the extra blood rush to this area (hyperemia)to be diminished)
Hope this helps
Regards
Allan G
(Australia)

monte on 3/12/02 at 19:23 (076293)

WHEN should you resume icing? or should you not? I had treatment done 5 weeks ago...should i still be applying heat after a long day? Should I ice after activities? Thanks for the input.

Steve M on 3/01/02 at 12:50 (075393)

I too live in the bay area. Can you tell me where you had ESWT, which Dr. did it. And if it was sucessful. Thank you

Cindy the reluctant Okie on 3/01/02 at 19:53 (075427)

Hi,

You should ask your doctor....however Dr. Zuckerman has treated both my heels twice ESWT and recommends heat on treated heel(s) for six weeks after treatment. He does say to ice at any time you feel sharp pain.

Namaste and Good Healing,
Cindy

monte on 3/02/02 at 10:57 (075465)

cindy

dr Z did my heels too...along with Dr Braver. I didn't know I had to use heat for 6 weeks. I did it for 2 weeks. I ice every night after working all day and commuting. Is that wrong? I do take hot baths and soak my feet and then ice too. Is this all OK or should i use my heating pad for a little while at night?

Gurudutt S on 3/03/02 at 21:47 (075590)

I had my ESWT done by Dr. Lawrence Oloff at the Sequoia Hospital in Redwood City. Dr. Oloff is a podiatrist who works for SOAR, a team of doctors who specialize in sport related injuries. Checkout their website http://www.soar.com . They
are by far the most professional of outfits I have ever seen, They have several offices - Menlo Park, Palo Alto, and
San Jose.

I have PF on both feet and I have had ESWT once only on my right foot so far. I am scheduled for the left foot later this month.
I have reasonable improvement tho I feel I need another session on my right foot.
Re: Icing, my doc told me to resist icing as long as possible. I'd just like to hear other opinions on this.
Thnx to those who replied!

Allan G on 3/12/02 at 17:29 (076289)

Hi
It is very important NOT to ice after treatments. The whole idea of ESWT is to promote a new metabloic reaction in the area to try and get the body to heal itself. That means the body sends an increase of blood to the area to promote the healing. If you ICE the region then you diminish the blood to that area and therefore diminish the chances of a healing mechanism( You Ice a bruise to stop bleediing in the tissues, we don't want the extra blood rush to this area (hyperemia)to be diminished)
Hope this helps
Regards
Allan G
(Australia)

monte on 3/12/02 at 19:23 (076293)

WHEN should you resume icing? or should you not? I had treatment done 5 weeks ago...should i still be applying heat after a long day? Should I ice after activities? Thanks for the input.