Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Quick question about nerves?

Posted by D.Thomas on 3/01/02 at 09:46 (075373)

I have been having a vibration sensation in the lower inner heel of my feet for about a month. It just buzzes and comes in short bursts. There really isn't any pain associated with it but it can be very annoying. It seems to quiet down when I don't do anything or stay off my feet. My Pod said it might be TTS. But I am wondering if it is a trapped nerve? How can one tell the difference if it is trapped or onset of TTS? Icing it doesn't seem to really help.

What might be the best treatment for it?

Re: Quick question about nerves?

Carmen H on 3/01/02 at 10:03 (075375)

Why do doctors always say any nerve sensation on the ankle is TTS? Or could be TTS? From what I understand those nervy sensations (I have experienced them as well) can come from PF as well.
I don't know the answer to your questions except that I had those feelings BAD awhile back and they went away.
I was tested for TTS and it was negative.

Sharon W on 3/01/02 at 11:23 (075379)

I have BOTH TTS and PF -- both confirmed by an MRI -- and I share your confusion about what nerve sensations are supposed to be TTS and which ones are supposed to be PF. I think the truth is that both problems can put pressure on nerves, causing nerve compression and numbness, 'electrical' sensations, etc. My experience has been that doctors seem to focus on one problem and ignore the other, and whichever problem they focus on is usually blamed for those 'nerve' symptoms. It would be great to get a definitive answer as to which symptoms to attribute to each problem.

Pam B on 3/01/02 at 11:24 (075380)

Good point Carmen, I too have had these sensations and up to now I have tested negative for TTS.....I have had them since surgery also but I expected nerve sensations from having this done.....so I too wonder why docs seem to always say TTS for these type sensations.....

Kathryn R. on 3/01/02 at 11:24 (075381)

D. Thomas try taking 1/2 B1 1oomg. vitamin twice a day, see if that works for a few weeks. It helped mine.

If I can find answers to my other questions.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/01/02 at 12:53 (075394)

How unsettling it must be to have such strange nerve sensations! I haven't had any from my somewhat boringly normal PF/bursitis/tendonitis. At least I can be thankful for that. I'm glad it isn't TTS in your case, Carmen, but still it must be disconcerting for you to feel this kind of vibrations or whatever. I wonder what it means. Maybe you are borderline TTS even if you don't actually have TTS.

Carole C

D.Thomas on 3/01/02 at 15:08 (075413)

That is the hardest part about these sensations is that I don't really know if they are telling me something to lay off on or it's just the usual course of PF. I asked my PT today and he didn't really know what to say about it. The only trapped nerve is was aware of was in the toes. I guess all you can do is keep on keeping on and hope it goes away and if gets worse I go back to my Pod.

wendyn on 3/01/02 at 21:27 (075433)

I've had the buzzing, but now that you mention it...I think I have it A LOT less frequently than I used to.

Carmen H on 3/02/02 at 06:36 (075453)

I am quite sure it was just from the PF inflammation....

Carmen H on 3/01/02 at 10:03 (075375)

Why do doctors always say any nerve sensation on the ankle is TTS? Or could be TTS? From what I understand those nervy sensations (I have experienced them as well) can come from PF as well.
I don't know the answer to your questions except that I had those feelings BAD awhile back and they went away.
I was tested for TTS and it was negative.

Sharon W on 3/01/02 at 11:23 (075379)

I have BOTH TTS and PF -- both confirmed by an MRI -- and I share your confusion about what nerve sensations are supposed to be TTS and which ones are supposed to be PF. I think the truth is that both problems can put pressure on nerves, causing nerve compression and numbness, 'electrical' sensations, etc. My experience has been that doctors seem to focus on one problem and ignore the other, and whichever problem they focus on is usually blamed for those 'nerve' symptoms. It would be great to get a definitive answer as to which symptoms to attribute to each problem.

Pam B on 3/01/02 at 11:24 (075380)

Good point Carmen, I too have had these sensations and up to now I have tested negative for TTS.....I have had them since surgery also but I expected nerve sensations from having this done.....so I too wonder why docs seem to always say TTS for these type sensations.....

Kathryn R. on 3/01/02 at 11:24 (075381)

D. Thomas try taking 1/2 B1 1oomg. vitamin twice a day, see if that works for a few weeks. It helped mine.

If I can find answers to my other questions.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/01/02 at 12:53 (075394)

How unsettling it must be to have such strange nerve sensations! I haven't had any from my somewhat boringly normal PF/bursitis/tendonitis. At least I can be thankful for that. I'm glad it isn't TTS in your case, Carmen, but still it must be disconcerting for you to feel this kind of vibrations or whatever. I wonder what it means. Maybe you are borderline TTS even if you don't actually have TTS.

Carole C

D.Thomas on 3/01/02 at 15:08 (075413)

That is the hardest part about these sensations is that I don't really know if they are telling me something to lay off on or it's just the usual course of PF. I asked my PT today and he didn't really know what to say about it. The only trapped nerve is was aware of was in the toes. I guess all you can do is keep on keeping on and hope it goes away and if gets worse I go back to my Pod.

wendyn on 3/01/02 at 21:27 (075433)

I've had the buzzing, but now that you mention it...I think I have it A LOT less frequently than I used to.

Carmen H on 3/02/02 at 06:36 (075453)

I am quite sure it was just from the PF inflammation....