Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

10 wks post op

Posted by Sarah T. on 3/01/02 at 23:16 (075440)

Hey everybody - I haven't posted in a while. I had pf release/spur removal 12-21-01 and I'm doing pretty good. I still have pain in my foot but it's in different places. I also have a terribly weak ankle despite the fact that I've worn an ace bandage daily for 4 weeks. My ankle swells and hurts. I've thought about wearing my boot cast but it doesn't seem to help and seems like such a step backwards. I'm having a hard time knowing if I'm doing too much. It's hard to stay off my feet when I can push myself to do things. ? I did want to tell everyone that I've read a lot about the Birkenstock shoes and decided to go to the store and try some. At that time my foot was rather swollen and I couldn't decide if they felt as good as everyone says. I decided I wouldn't pay $80 for them at the mall. WELL, I was at Sam's Club in Athens, GA this week and found the Betula kind for $39! I love them! I've been using them as my bedroom shoe and I can definitely tell a difference since I've been strict about not walking barefoot or with normal bedroom shoes. I go back to the doctor on Monday and hope to get his opinion on my progress. This is just such a LONG recovery! Agggh!

Re: 10 wks post op

Pam B on 3/02/02 at 06:32 (075452)

Glad to hear you are doing so well and that you found shoes you are comfy in.....it is hard to force yourself to wear shoes around the house huh??? I too had the same surgery on 2/6, and my ankle is giving me a fit also.......I have tendonitis and that is why mine is giving me a fit....they told me it could need surgery for correction but we are hoping correcting my heel will improve my walking and in turn the tendonitis will heal on its own.......seems as though these conditions move from the foot and work their way up......

Do you knees bother you at all??????

Sarah T. on 3/02/02 at 06:57 (075454)

No, my knees aren't hurting YET! ha I sure hope they won't. I think all this healing just takes a lot of time. I think I just need to slow down and rest more. Such a slow process.

Rebecca C. on 3/02/02 at 11:03 (075467)

Hi Sarah, My favorite thing to read on these board are people's surgery progress reports, so thanks for posting yours! I had open pf surgery Jan. 15, about six weeks ago. I'm starting to feel a definite improvement the last few days but it sure is taking a long time. I see my doctor next week for a check-up. Are you doing any Physical Therapy? I'm going to ask if that would be of any benefit. I do alot of stretching and icing and resting. My original pain is pretty much taken care of though I have pain in other areas of my foot, like the arch which is still bruised and more in the lateral area. My surgery leg is way smaller than the other one, it blows my mind how quickly muscles can atrophy! The biggest struggle I've had is dealing with the inactivity. I'm accustom to alot of activity and sitting around healing and resting is very depressing for me. I have been swimming for a few weeks and started doing easy bike rides so that is helping. Sorry this has gotten so long and rambling, I guess I needed to talk to someone! Thanks!

Sarah T. on 3/02/02 at 16:59 (075484)

I like reading post-op reports too because I really am not sure what I should be expecting from my recovery. I have not had any physical therapy and my doc has not mentioned it but you are the second person on the board to ask me. Maybe I should ask him. I too had bruising and tenderness in the arch area. My incision looked great except this one small part just at the arch. I finally started putting neosporin on it with a bandaid at night and softened the scab and then the next morning I was able to see that it was slightly infected. I immediately started putting peroxide and neosporin on it and it quickly healed and the tenderness there went away. The next pain I had was along the entire right side of my foot. My pinky toe was very sore. I think this was due to shifting my weight away from the surgery site. That has now subsided and I feel very well most of the time. However, I have a sharp pain occassionally that is at the very back of my heel. It's a burning pain. Not on the bottom of my foot but on the back of the foot. Then of course I have the ankle pain which improves greatly with rest but doesn't seem to get better the next time I am active. I hate to sound like such a whiner. I'm just so tired of all this. Keep me posted on your progress. Maybe we'll get through all this. I can't tell you how much this web site has meant to me! :)

Rebecca C. on 3/02/02 at 19:56 (075501)

This site has been a life saver for me even though I rarely post. I read it religiously several times a day. I'm also very unsure of where I should be and how much I should be doing. I went so far as to go back through the surgery posts and make a little chart of people's progress and when they got stitches out, how long they wore the boot and used crutches. A little compulsive, I know, but it was reassuring. My pod told me when I got the stitches out that I could do as much as I felt comfortable with. He claims that I can't do any real damage to it by activity, unlike the prior surgery I had for hallux limitus last year on the other foot. My insision looks great and I've never had any trouble with it thankfully. I was shocked, I think, by how painful it was for so long. I am starting to see the light at the end of tunnel now, I've wore regular shoes all day for two days. And I got the same 39.00 birks at Costco, although I really can't wear them at the moment. I can only stand to wear one pair of light hiking boots without my orthotics. Maybe next week I'll be able to wear something else. Keep in touch!

Carmon S. on 3/04/02 at 16:04 (075650)

Sarah,
glad to here that you are doing pretty good. It's quite the journey isn't it. I had PF release done on Feb. 8 to my right foot. Hang in there!

Also, In the beginning of my PF troubles, I had to quit wearing Birkenstocks. i found that they really made me a lot worse because the cork fot bed is way to hard. My Doctor recommended not to wear them and to purchase New Balance. He is a real fan of that brand and the support that they provide. I tell ya, I must agree with him too. I don't wear any other shoes than my NB tennis shoes right now.

Sarah T. on 3/04/02 at 21:45 (075688)

I wear New Balance too. They are the most comfortable shoe for me. I wear the Birks around the house in the morning and evening like a bedroom shoe. I really like them for that because I was too lazy to put on my NB just to go to the bathroom or something and going barefoot was killing me. I went back to the doc today and he seemed very pleased with my progress. I explained about all my aches and pains and he said everything was normal and to be expected. He said my ankle seemed to need a bit more support since it was swelling so. He put me in a lace-up type brace that looks like something out of the early 1900's. Thank goodness I can wear my shoe over it because it is really ugly. It does seem to offer more support and I'm hoping it will help. I go back to the doc in another month. I hope to continue to improve.

Pam B on 3/02/02 at 06:32 (075452)

Glad to hear you are doing so well and that you found shoes you are comfy in.....it is hard to force yourself to wear shoes around the house huh??? I too had the same surgery on 2/6, and my ankle is giving me a fit also.......I have tendonitis and that is why mine is giving me a fit....they told me it could need surgery for correction but we are hoping correcting my heel will improve my walking and in turn the tendonitis will heal on its own.......seems as though these conditions move from the foot and work their way up......

Do you knees bother you at all??????

Sarah T. on 3/02/02 at 06:57 (075454)

No, my knees aren't hurting YET! ha I sure hope they won't. I think all this healing just takes a lot of time. I think I just need to slow down and rest more. Such a slow process.

Rebecca C. on 3/02/02 at 11:03 (075467)

Hi Sarah, My favorite thing to read on these board are people's surgery progress reports, so thanks for posting yours! I had open pf surgery Jan. 15, about six weeks ago. I'm starting to feel a definite improvement the last few days but it sure is taking a long time. I see my doctor next week for a check-up. Are you doing any Physical Therapy? I'm going to ask if that would be of any benefit. I do alot of stretching and icing and resting. My original pain is pretty much taken care of though I have pain in other areas of my foot, like the arch which is still bruised and more in the lateral area. My surgery leg is way smaller than the other one, it blows my mind how quickly muscles can atrophy! The biggest struggle I've had is dealing with the inactivity. I'm accustom to alot of activity and sitting around healing and resting is very depressing for me. I have been swimming for a few weeks and started doing easy bike rides so that is helping. Sorry this has gotten so long and rambling, I guess I needed to talk to someone! Thanks!

Sarah T. on 3/02/02 at 16:59 (075484)

I like reading post-op reports too because I really am not sure what I should be expecting from my recovery. I have not had any physical therapy and my doc has not mentioned it but you are the second person on the board to ask me. Maybe I should ask him. I too had bruising and tenderness in the arch area. My incision looked great except this one small part just at the arch. I finally started putting neosporin on it with a bandaid at night and softened the scab and then the next morning I was able to see that it was slightly infected. I immediately started putting peroxide and neosporin on it and it quickly healed and the tenderness there went away. The next pain I had was along the entire right side of my foot. My pinky toe was very sore. I think this was due to shifting my weight away from the surgery site. That has now subsided and I feel very well most of the time. However, I have a sharp pain occassionally that is at the very back of my heel. It's a burning pain. Not on the bottom of my foot but on the back of the foot. Then of course I have the ankle pain which improves greatly with rest but doesn't seem to get better the next time I am active. I hate to sound like such a whiner. I'm just so tired of all this. Keep me posted on your progress. Maybe we'll get through all this. I can't tell you how much this web site has meant to me! :)

Rebecca C. on 3/02/02 at 19:56 (075501)

This site has been a life saver for me even though I rarely post. I read it religiously several times a day. I'm also very unsure of where I should be and how much I should be doing. I went so far as to go back through the surgery posts and make a little chart of people's progress and when they got stitches out, how long they wore the boot and used crutches. A little compulsive, I know, but it was reassuring. My pod told me when I got the stitches out that I could do as much as I felt comfortable with. He claims that I can't do any real damage to it by activity, unlike the prior surgery I had for hallux limitus last year on the other foot. My insision looks great and I've never had any trouble with it thankfully. I was shocked, I think, by how painful it was for so long. I am starting to see the light at the end of tunnel now, I've wore regular shoes all day for two days. And I got the same 39.00 birks at Costco, although I really can't wear them at the moment. I can only stand to wear one pair of light hiking boots without my orthotics. Maybe next week I'll be able to wear something else. Keep in touch!

Carmon S. on 3/04/02 at 16:04 (075650)

Sarah,
glad to here that you are doing pretty good. It's quite the journey isn't it. I had PF release done on Feb. 8 to my right foot. Hang in there!

Also, In the beginning of my PF troubles, I had to quit wearing Birkenstocks. i found that they really made me a lot worse because the cork fot bed is way to hard. My Doctor recommended not to wear them and to purchase New Balance. He is a real fan of that brand and the support that they provide. I tell ya, I must agree with him too. I don't wear any other shoes than my NB tennis shoes right now.

Sarah T. on 3/04/02 at 21:45 (075688)

I wear New Balance too. They are the most comfortable shoe for me. I wear the Birks around the house in the morning and evening like a bedroom shoe. I really like them for that because I was too lazy to put on my NB just to go to the bathroom or something and going barefoot was killing me. I went back to the doc today and he seemed very pleased with my progress. I explained about all my aches and pains and he said everything was normal and to be expected. He said my ankle seemed to need a bit more support since it was swelling so. He put me in a lace-up type brace that looks like something out of the early 1900's. Thank goodness I can wear my shoe over it because it is really ugly. It does seem to offer more support and I'm hoping it will help. I go back to the doc in another month. I hope to continue to improve.