Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Laurie laurie laurie

Posted by wendyn on 3/01/02 at 23:48 (075443)

I am still waiting to hear of your new doctor's visit and your trip up to the 6th floor. I know you were recovering from the injection....but I'm dying to hear the details!

Re: Laurie laurie laurie

Laurie R on 3/02/02 at 00:22 (075446)

Hi Wendy , I am sorry , I did great in the elevator , believe it or not . I did not go in it right away . I even sent my hubby up first to make sure it was ok. He came back down and said it was fine... The Ortho's office was on the 6 th floor and it had so many windows in it. They put in a room with three really big windows . Since I was there almost three hours thank God for the windows.... We just looked out at everything ....

The doctor was great in knowing his stuff. He confired that my Pod has done everything to the book treatment wise. Also he knew a lot about RSD . He checked both of my feet really good. He was very careful with my RSD foot. It was really cold the day I was there.

This guy had hardly no bedside manner , but I was not there to be his friend , I was there for the second opinion . He feels I need a TT release and a release of the nerves to the FHL tendon . He said not to take out the fibroma ,nor release the fascia...

He was to send the report to my Pod and I was to see my Pod today to go over everything . Well my Pod office called yesterday and said they have not got the report yet. So I called the Ortho office to see what was up . They could not find my chart nor the report. She finally did and said that they report was missing some things.... I asked her to fax it to me... She did , their are a few things missing . She told me that the Ortho doc when he was dictating my case ran out of tape and he was to finish my case at home... Well he was not there so she could not ask him if he did or not.... Go figure....

So I faxed what I had to my Pod , he looked at it and said it was ok , he saw what he needed to know... Then today they called and said he still needs the rest of it ..... I told his nurse I can wait , I want my Pod to have all the info he can get. This is my foot and surgery ...So they canceled my appointment for today . They will call when they get the full report...

I have my QME workers comp doctor appointment on Monday . Then on Wed I go see my PM doc for post opp on my injection .....

I have to share something with you . As you know I have terrible panic attacks and have had them for a long time..... Well I hate them so much and the run my life... So I thought that it is time to do something about it . I bought some books on dealing with anxiety , one is so awesome and I asked out Julie for help on relaxation .....

Julie has been helping me through emails , and sent me her tape ... I swear this wonderful tape of Julies has changed my life... I have been using it two times a day . What a world of differnce. I have felt great for the past three days.... I can not even begin to thank Julie enough for helping me ..... Plus I am helping myself ... I am going to recover from panic attacks , my pain is still here , but my mind is so great. This is something I thought I would never be able to say ....

So I have been busy this week helping myself , this is all so new and I feel so good inside , something I have not felt in a loooooooooooooooooong time .... I like the new me. It is going to take a while ,but the great feelings I have had , it makes it all so worth it ....

So far my anxiety is down ... I am not even nervous about my QME appointment on Monday , big first for me . Now if this was a week ago , I would be crazy right now ,and very sick to my stomach over it all . Thinking the worse and just knowing it would turn out terrible. Nope not me today . Plus this doctor is on the 4 th floor , I have to take another elevator on Monday .... No problem . This time I am going to go on it the first time and not wait. Little steps is all I am asking myself to do right now . And it is working .....

Ok I am sorry It took me so long to post....

Thanks for asking for me . Laurie R

Re: Laurie laurie laurie PS

Laurie R on 3/02/02 at 00:24 (075447)

Forgot , the Ortho doctor said that I was a very difficult case , and the main concern was the RSD ... So they have to be very careful with the surgery ... He feels that the surgery would help me , now not with everything , but a lot of my bad tendon pain ..... Laurie R

Clara on 3/02/02 at 03:49 (075448)

Hi Laurie R! When I read your post, I felt so sad for you... and I do feel like you, I also have 'panic attacs', it started now when I got the PF back 3 weeks ago. I can´t explain it, it´s a horror!!!!! I was 'cured' for 3 months and here we (well NOT) go again... I´ve got some 'anti-depressing'-pills ('Zoloft') from the doctor, don´t know if it will help, I hope so. I´m now afraid of EVERYTHING, and I have not being outdoor for a long time now.

Have someone of you tryed something like this pills? It´s the first time in my life, and I´m not feeling good, i rather feel worse!, but the doctor said that it can take a month before I feel any positive progression.

I hope you (and the rest of us suffering of PF) will recover soon.. I pray for you all.

Hugs
from Clara

Pam B on 3/02/02 at 06:13 (075449)

Hi Clara, its Pam........I just stopped taking zoloft and have also tried, paxil,celexa,buspar and wellbutrin, all of which are anti depressents......I guess they help some but it does take a while before they start to work.....they also have some side effects you need to be aware of.......so make sure you read them because the doctor has others he can give you to try if the zoloft is not the one for you.......I got tired of trying them all so I stopped taking them......I felt like the side effects were worse than the depression/anxiety symptoms that he gave them to me for.....I am now going to try what Laurie is trying which is the self help methods.......I have seen such an improvment in her state of mind in the past week it has given me hope that there is a way to beat this stuff.....right now, I have xanac for bad days and they really help me more than the anti depressents but the docs dont like to give them to you because they are habit forming......I seem to suffer more from anxiety than depression......both of these conditions are so much worse with the foot conditions and being in pain all the time unable to walk without suffering......I think that most anyone chronically suffering from these crippling conditions suffer with some sort of depression or anxiety and my doctor agrees with me on this......it is very frustrating to watch life go by you and not be a participant and to know if you do try you will suffer serious pain for doing what come naturally to you.....but together, with each others support, we will all get through the bad times.......there is light at the end of that tunnel, I am sure of that :) remember Clara, take note to the side effects that you can get from the pills because if that one does not work for you, there are many others out there that you can try.......I know many people that take them and have lots of luck with them........good luck to you........:)

nancy s. on 3/02/02 at 07:11 (075456)

hi clara and pam and anyone else interested. (and hi laurie, although you already know what i'm posting!). i've had panic disorder for fifteen years, and have taken klonopin for it for a long time. klonopin went right to the heart of the matter and works very well for the panic disorder -- you might ask your doctor about that, clara?

then, when life got put on hold for too long after pf hit and a variety of other tendonitises, i went through a very bad depression. (was even in the hospital for it for three weeks a year ago.) after trying a few antidepressants that didn't help much, the doc put me on wellbutrin. it didn't completely eliminate the depression, but it lifted it enough that i started to climb out and be able to think about how to make a new life for myself. i had absolutely no side effects from the wellbutrin (everyone is different, of course). i'm just starting to cut back on it now to see how i do. i still go to a cognitive therapy group -- it helps me work on how i 'think' about what happens to me, which can lead to less despairing feelings and more energy to deal with them when they do come up.

antidepressants aren't a cure-all (what is?), but they have the potential to lift you out of what i call the black pit -- and then help you be more able to cope with life's difficulties.

i hope anyone who falls into depression over the life changes that can come from pf and other foot problems will seek therapeutic and/or medication help and give it a try.
nancy

Re: hello laurie ! were you practicing any deep breathing techniques to calm you down ?

linda a on 3/02/02 at 08:26 (075457)

i too sometimes suffer from panic attacks . i usually don't take the elevators if it has more than 4 people on it . glass elevators and draw bridges can bring on attack . didn't quite like the st petersburg area alot of draw -briges . ha ha !!! oh ! and that big sky bridge was very nerve racking . guess who was the driver going over that damn brige ? ME ! so, i had to practice my deep breathing . i survived , even though i could have tossed up some cookies . ha ha !!!! laurie --- how come the second doc does not want to release the fascia ? was your fascia not very tight ? mine was and still is very tight . could you say a lttle prayer for my old high school , Holy Rosary Academy est 1867 ?. if the school doesn't come up w/ another $ 700,000 in 8 days they will be closing the doors . we were given a opportunity to raise a million dollars in 17 days by board of directors of Spalding University , who has been funding our school .kind of tacky ! . rick pitino ( u of l ) even offered to help , but we had to turn him down because of the NCAA rules . pray for a miracle . linda ( Ky)

Laurie R on 3/02/02 at 10:45 (075464)

Hi Clara ,Pam , Nancy S and Linda, Clara , Please don't feel sad for me ... This has been one of the best weeks of my life.... I have been working on myself and it feels AWESOME .. Julie's breath and relaxation tape I think has helped me more then anything ..Then the books are helping me to change the way I think ... I am one that always thinks the worse of anything and I play it over and over in my mind. In one book it suggested to stop putting myself down. I always have a reason why I can't do something . My safe place is in my house.... I don't just want to stay home. Even with all this foot pain and the terrible RSD pain , I still want to go out. When I would get out to do something , I would want to come home real soon..

I have woke up happy four days in a row now ..WOW !!!!! This is a first for me .... I am not a morning person .... This is going to take time , but I want my panic attacks to go away ..... Today my heart is not jumping , what a great feeling ...

Yesterday with all that was going on , I stayed calm ... I had a choice to get all upset over the Ortho not doing a full report , but I did not. It is not in my control over what he did not do ... And today I feel great for the way I handled it .... Just a little thing ,but little things add up to big things....

I am tried of playing the victim , I'm not a victim. My anxiety is worse then my pain .... Life is to be lived and I'm working on this now......And it feels so good.....

Nancy S has been and is such an inspiration to me .... I have known her now for a few years , she has been through so much . But she has worked so very hard on herself ... She is not a victim , she is a survivor .. Also Nancy is my mentor , and I am so very proud to have her as my firend .... She has helped me through some very hard times... I will be so ever greatful to you Nancy ...... :) ....

I will keep you all posted on my foot drama .... For today I am going to enjoy the day ...

Much love to everyone , Laurie R

wendyn on 3/02/02 at 11:27 (075471)

Laurie - I am so happy for you!!!!!!

One suggestion I read that may help with your ongoing 'recovery', is to not think 'that you want the panic attacks to go away'. The anxiety seems to thrive on the fact that you, (we) fight it.

If you welcome the next attack to practice your breathing, and relaxation - and view it instead as something that you are learning to deal with - you may find that you feel even less stress than if you want the attacks to stay away.

This was a heavy emphasis in the book I read on panic - specifically related to flying phobias. Once you get good at dealing with them, you can take a 'Bring it On!' attitude, knowing full well that you have all the tools you need to get through it again.

I have Julie's tape too, and it's great - it's neat to hear a real voice!! I don't get to listen to it nearly as often as I'd like (because of where our only tape stereo is situated) - but the principles of the tape are the same as what I've learned in yoga.

It's amazing how much it can make a difference isn't it!

Have a great day Laurie, if I get any more good news this week I may positively burst.

I found out that my ex husband is moving back to BC (yipeee!!!) makes my life easier.

I got a photo radar ticket in the mail, but it wasn't my license plate number so it's not mine.

Nancy had a great week, Laurie had a great week - my week was better than last week.

Wow.

They don't get this good that often!

nancy s. on 3/02/02 at 16:23 (075477)

i love you guys!

BrianG on 3/02/02 at 17:05 (075485)

Hi Laurie,

I'm glad to hear you are getting these 'other' issues taken care of, besides your feet. I would guess they are all connected, but that doesn't mean you can't tackle each issue, as you can. The natural methods of dealing with anxiety are the best, and your on the right track. I'm not as strong, and I take small amounts of Diazapam (Valium), especially at night if I can't sleep. I haven't raised my dose in almost 5 years! Just something to think about if you need a little 'help'. Your doing good, keep it up.

BrianG

PS Just wondering, did you really mean it when you said your anxiety was worse than your foot pain?

Laurie R on 3/02/02 at 19:09 (075497)

Dear Brian , I also take meds for my anxiety , Oh God I just started dealing with it , I mean really dealing with it .I am not super woman , YET ....LOL , I take Xanax and I feel I need it . In time I hope to not have to take it . I am one that believes in meds when we need them , that is what they are their for. Their was a time I would not take anything , then I thought this is so stupid . The pain meds help , they don't take the pain away , but they do help .....

Yes that is right , my anxiety was getting so out of control , I did not want to leave the house and when I did I just wanted to come home. I could hardly eat and I am a thin person . My stomach always upset. Yes I have terrible pain , but I think I handle it pretty well. I think I am used to the pain ... Hopefully things will start rolling on my surgery so at least part of my foot will be fixed and less pain...

I hope you all are well....

Nancy S we love you too ....:)

Laurie R

Anthony P on 3/02/02 at 23:25 (075508)

Hi Laurie , I'm happy for you too, that your happy and found something
to help you cope with anxiety .As always my prayers are always will you
Keep us posted on your up coming surgery .
:) Anthony P

Julie on 3/03/02 at 03:39 (075516)

Laurie, Wendy is right, and that's excellent advice she's given you, not to fight the panic. It's part of you, and when we fight a part of ourself it grows stronger. So no conflict: conflict is stressful, and anyway what's the point of fighting with yourself? Welcome in whatever feelings you have and use them as an opportunity to work on yourself.

You're doing fine, and I'm glad the tape is helping you. There will always be 'ups and downs', though, so just keep working through the downs.

Re: hello laurie and all the rest!!

Clara on 3/03/02 at 06:42 (075518)

Hi there! Thank you folks for all your kindness. And to Laurie, good luck! And I think Julie´s absolutely right, we should not be afraid of ourselves, the fearness is a sign for that something isn´t right! But when the panic is overwhelming, then it can help with some medicine for a while. Today, I feel better on the 'inside', have not woke up at 17 times this night like I used to after this set-back, only a couple of times I woke up, and didn´t feel a thing. Well, I think that this kind of medications is not good for us, but only for a while.

The feet is not good at the moment, it´s worse, no I cannot even 'tip-toe' to the bathroom, my husband has got to help me..so I´m in a very bad shape.

I hope I will recover soon, anyhow. i will stay put here at home, and go nowhere!

And - I love you folks!
Hugs from
/clara

john h on 3/03/02 at 13:44 (075552)

Wendy: This should make you feel real good about flying. Pilots sometimes get panic attacks while flying like if you lose 2 engines on a 4 engine plane or lose your only engine.

SteveP on 3/03/02 at 18:47 (075571)

Laurie ---

You are an inspiration, kid! You're going to beat this thing yet. It takes a lot of guts & patience to take control & make it happen, one step at a time. But we all know you can do it..........and you will.

Many blessings!

Steve

Laurie R on 3/03/02 at 20:02 (075574)

Thank you so much everyone... Wow this is so cool. I got to tell you , and this is something I thought I would never ever say . I am so loving working on myself.. My kids and hubby have been so great . He took them out today so I could have a little time to just relax and do Julie's tape... Julie I know I have told you this before , but I can not thank you enough for your wonderful tape. Your voice is so beautiful and calming . Also calm is where I want to be . It is a whole new world for me ....

Thank you all again for your awesome support , it means so much to me ... I will let everyone know how my QME (Workers comp) doctor appointment goes tomorrow ......

Much love , Laurie R

nancy s. on 3/03/02 at 20:30 (075578)

you're so right, laurie -- julie's voice on her tape is one of the most beautiful things i've ever heard.
it's also very beautiful to read your spirit soaring these days. it gives me great pleasure, laurie. you're an inspiration, my friend!
nancy

Suzanne D on 3/03/02 at 20:33 (075579)

I will be thinking of you and hope your doctor's appointment goes well tomorrow. It has been nice reading of your positive experiences in the past few days! I'm happy for you!

Suzanne :-)

Tammie on 3/04/02 at 08:51 (075605)

Dear Laurie,I to am so glad to read your positive posts, it gives ME hope and a sense of calmness that something can and does work! I to am trying some of Julies relaxation . I am waiting for her tape and I to hope that I can post with the calmness and the hopefulness in my voice also.

Julie has been wonderful as she seems to see and hear the cry of the emotional and stress and anxiety that some of us expierance!She awaits patiently untill we can answer with a open mind to recieve her help. I to Thank her , and look foward to the time I might post and say the positive things you are expierancing Laurie!I do admire your courage and your sense of self help, the way you are tackling this horrible anxiety , I am in awe of you! I am glad that I have this place to come and feel like I am a part of people who care and understand ALL of the things that go with long term foot pain. I also appreciate the fact when we stumble or get off the track there is always some wonderful friends to pull us up again and help us to see clearly again. Never giving up on us or making us feel like we don't belong . So with this I wish you great sucess today with your appt. and hope that again you will be on the road of achieving your goals! Love to you and all of the special people here each and every one!

john h on 3/04/02 at 09:47 (075609)

I have read Julie's book on her journey with breat cancer and it is more than just a story about cancer. An excellent read. I think I bought it on Amazon.com

wallyh on 3/04/02 at 13:47 (075639)

Hi,

Just wanted to weigh in on the panic situation. I used to have panic attacks in my 20's but they went away. I now at times suffer from what they call 'free floating anxiety'. There are a lot of good drugs out there that are less habit forming than Xanax (which can really reek havoc physically if you're try to shake it.) I take Klonopin, a different drug in the family of benzodiazapedes..(its generic name is clonazepam). It is highly effective, has a long half-life and there is less chance of addiction than Xanax, that is if you have not had addiction problems in the past. I surely would have preferred a natural remedy to this problem, but I tried them all and I've come to believe that in some of us this stuff is just hard-wired. At any rate it's made a great deal of difference in my life.

Wally

Re: My Opinions on treating Anxiety and Depression Laurie laurie laurie PS

Pauline on 3/04/02 at 17:12 (075658)

Just thought I'd add my opinion to the discussion on ways to treat Anxiety and Depression and it is this. Anxiety and Depression are conditions that are best treated by a Psychiatrist who's experience and speciality covers all aspects of these conditions. He is well experienced with the various drugs available,and their effects. Based on the specific history of the patient who comes to his office for help he will select the best medication and/or other treatment he thinks best for that patient.

Follow up appointments are made on a regular basis so if necessary medication can be adjusted, changed, added or eliminated as well as discussions to help the patient learn to identify causes of their anxiey and depression, how to live with their condition and hopefully someday be able to be free of symptoms becomming well again. Treatment is not limited to medication alone and treatment is not a one day office visit.

Not every medication is best for every patient and although we can suggest specific medication which we might have taken, or are taking the choice of medication I believe is best left in the hands of a Psychiatrist and his or her patient.

Any person seeking this type of medical advice, on this board, should feel free to take any suggestion posted about medications back to their own physician for discussion. Their physician can then advise them about the merits of that drug in relationship to their specific conditon.

All to often a person seeks help in this area from friends or their primary care physician because of the stigma attached to seeing a Psychiatrist. Their primary care physicians do not have the time nor the experience in this area of medicine. They are not the experts and do not see and treat as many cases. Their friends often end up offering them some of their own medication to try.

I was surprised at first to see how many people swap medications, but now I recognize this as a pretty standard practice. A very dangerous one, but one that people do every day. It's not one we should be promoting or teaching to our young people and the stigma of seeing a Psychiatrist is something we all should work to bury.

nancy s. on 3/04/02 at 17:44 (075660)

yes, of course. a psychiatrist or, even better as far as medications go, a psychopharmacologist. some pcp's and other docs are also capable of knowledgeably prescribing for classic mild depression or for anxiety.

if someone's doctor-prescribed antidepressant is not working for the person's anxiety or panic disorder, i don't hesitate to suggest that the person and the person's doctor consider the anti-anxiety medication that finally worked for me.

some medications are known to have more side effects for a high percentage of people; some are known to usually have less. i would feel negligent as a fellow sufferer if i did not point this out.

there are no guarantees for anyone, but educated suggestions can help some people. i would never suggest that someone try someone else's medication rather than get their own evaluation and prescription from a doctor. that would be foolish.
nancy

Re: My thoughts also

Tammie on 3/04/02 at 18:59 (075675)

Actually, I think it is very good to discuss this topic and all different medications that are being used . Now noone is going to go out and buy thease as they are scripts ! It does no harm to talk about it it seems sometimes easyer with people going thru same thing, it does not make you feel isolated or like a freak of nature, if you understand what I am saying.For me it opened a door and allowed me to aproach my primary, and she tho not a phys of the head per say, she is very familar with observing thease types of things as she is a family dr. a well rounded and taught a bit about all areas of medicine.

Now I must say , I did ask my brother in law what he thought of the choices of medications and he thought they were fine. He is a Dr. of the head (chuckle) and he surly knows our family and me. No he does not knopw my deep down fears of troubles but he is very educated on the types of medications and side effects. He thought it was fine. Now yes there sometimes is the need for counseling and more professional help indeed. At that point I would hope the dr. prescribing the medications would address that and help locate the proper professional!

My primary agrees with what is being said about my dx and has told me I need to see a Dr. who knows it and treats and dx of Rsd .Someone who is much better then her or a pod or a ortho. She is making me a appt. with a person that can do this and who she recomends. I feel very very comfortable with her. I trust her judgement and respect her advice knowing she is not God and trying to help me. The talk about specialties can go on and on but the bottom line is some help is better then none, and if you are comfortable with one of your dr.s he or she may help you find what you are needing! And friends sharing expierances is very helpful for those of us who feel we are all alone dealing with similar things. It at least opens the door for seeking help and making you feel a bit more comfortable with the thoughts there may be some help and that you are not the only one feeling thease feelings.

Re: My thoughts alsoRE Tammie I AGREE WITH YOU

Laurie R on 3/04/02 at 21:35 (075686)

Hi Everyone , I so agree with your post.... As you all know I have panic disorder. It took me forever to even talk about it , let alone with a doctor . But when I finally got my nerve to talk about it , it was with my Pod . He said he and the other doctors in his office do treat anxiety disorders.. He is the one that gave me the meds.. I feel very comfortable with him and his treatment of the meds.. To me it is who you feel comfortable with doctor wise .... It is better then trying to go it alone and not get a doctors help ......

I bet very few people can say they never took a script med from someone else ...... I know I have at some point at one time or another. I know it is not right , but I have to be honest here....

My best to all , Laurie R

Re: Accomidation, not addiction

BrianG on 3/04/02 at 21:57 (075690)

Hi WallyH,

I just wanted to comment on what you mentioned about some drugs being more addictive than others. Personally, I don't think that is somthing the majority of us have to worry about. When prescribed by a doctor, this doctor will also know how to taper someone off, when it's time to stop taking the drug. There are many drugs available that can help us, but some of them cannot be stopped 'cold turkey' without some physical discomfert. With a doctors guidance, and slowly tapering off a med, it's not that much of a problem. No craving, no sweats, cramps, etc. Please trust your doctors, and if you do end up with discomfert, let him know. In short, do not be afaid to try something new, just because you have heard it may lead to addiction.

Good Luck
BrianG

PS If you have had addiction issues in your past, level with your doctor. They can still work with you, but they may pay a little more attention to how your doing, compared to their other patients.

Re: Accomidation, not addiction -- BRIAN G

nancy s. on 3/04/02 at 22:11 (075691)

brian, kathryn has been trying to get some info from you -- i think on the doctors' board. just wanted you to check there in case you haven't seen her posts.
nancy

Re: To Laurie/Panic/Anxiety/meds

Beverly on 3/05/02 at 16:37 (075756)

Laurie,

I'm sending you my best wishes as you wade through your second opinion.

I also commend you on being brave enough to 'out' yourself here as someone who has panic attacks.

I'm a worrier... not quite the same as panic attacks. I've had a panic attack twice in my life, and they were both very unpleasant experiences. I remember the room swimming, breaking out in a cold sweat, and getting dizzy, and sick to my stomach. No fun at all.

Well, while we're being so honest, my hangout is general situational anxiety. When I'm going through stress, I get what my therapist calls 'situational anxiety.' I tend to examine something from every angle, do research, think, worry, plan, try to make it perfect, ect... This drive for perfection is both what makes me good at my work and drives me crazy inside.

For years, I've listened to guided meditation tapes... especially like Bernie Segal. And I'm had plenty of psycho-therapy -- usually the short-term stuff. Break ups do me in the most. Probably why I'm in no hurry to do it again.

For years, my therapist (a clinical social worker, MSW) would occassionally suggest that I get medication for short-term anxiety producing situations. I just could not get past my hangups about meds to ask the doctor for them. I could easily ask for pain meds but not 'mood' pills.

Finally, in dealing with my aging Dad, I just felt pushed over the edge, and my therapist gave me some suggestions that I then took to my internist. I feel so much better, and I wish I hadn't waited so long to ask permission for the stuff. I think the more honest we are with our doctors, the better they can help. I avoided this for so long, because I was afraid that he'd blow off my pain as 'in my head.' But instead, he was very nice, and understanding.

I like asking my internist for my meds with some guidance from my therapist, because he knows everything I take. If a specialist gives me something, I always make sure he knows everything I take, including supplements. I'm always concerned about drug interactions. And then, I still always ask the pharmacist if any new med is going to have a bad interaction with present meds.

Well, my best to you.
Beverly

Re: Laurie laurie laurie

Laurie R on 3/02/02 at 00:22 (075446)

Hi Wendy , I am sorry , I did great in the elevator , believe it or not . I did not go in it right away . I even sent my hubby up first to make sure it was ok. He came back down and said it was fine... The Ortho's office was on the 6 th floor and it had so many windows in it. They put in a room with three really big windows . Since I was there almost three hours thank God for the windows.... We just looked out at everything ....

The doctor was great in knowing his stuff. He confired that my Pod has done everything to the book treatment wise. Also he knew a lot about RSD . He checked both of my feet really good. He was very careful with my RSD foot. It was really cold the day I was there.

This guy had hardly no bedside manner , but I was not there to be his friend , I was there for the second opinion . He feels I need a TT release and a release of the nerves to the FHL tendon . He said not to take out the fibroma ,nor release the fascia...

He was to send the report to my Pod and I was to see my Pod today to go over everything . Well my Pod office called yesterday and said they have not got the report yet. So I called the Ortho office to see what was up . They could not find my chart nor the report. She finally did and said that they report was missing some things.... I asked her to fax it to me... She did , their are a few things missing . She told me that the Ortho doc when he was dictating my case ran out of tape and he was to finish my case at home... Well he was not there so she could not ask him if he did or not.... Go figure....

So I faxed what I had to my Pod , he looked at it and said it was ok , he saw what he needed to know... Then today they called and said he still needs the rest of it ..... I told his nurse I can wait , I want my Pod to have all the info he can get. This is my foot and surgery ...So they canceled my appointment for today . They will call when they get the full report...

I have my QME workers comp doctor appointment on Monday . Then on Wed I go see my PM doc for post opp on my injection .....

I have to share something with you . As you know I have terrible panic attacks and have had them for a long time..... Well I hate them so much and the run my life... So I thought that it is time to do something about it . I bought some books on dealing with anxiety , one is so awesome and I asked out Julie for help on relaxation .....

Julie has been helping me through emails , and sent me her tape ... I swear this wonderful tape of Julies has changed my life... I have been using it two times a day . What a world of differnce. I have felt great for the past three days.... I can not even begin to thank Julie enough for helping me ..... Plus I am helping myself ... I am going to recover from panic attacks , my pain is still here , but my mind is so great. This is something I thought I would never be able to say ....

So I have been busy this week helping myself , this is all so new and I feel so good inside , something I have not felt in a loooooooooooooooooong time .... I like the new me. It is going to take a while ,but the great feelings I have had , it makes it all so worth it ....

So far my anxiety is down ... I am not even nervous about my QME appointment on Monday , big first for me . Now if this was a week ago , I would be crazy right now ,and very sick to my stomach over it all . Thinking the worse and just knowing it would turn out terrible. Nope not me today . Plus this doctor is on the 4 th floor , I have to take another elevator on Monday .... No problem . This time I am going to go on it the first time and not wait. Little steps is all I am asking myself to do right now . And it is working .....

Ok I am sorry It took me so long to post....

Thanks for asking for me . Laurie R

Laurie R on 3/02/02 at 00:24 (075447)

Forgot , the Ortho doctor said that I was a very difficult case , and the main concern was the RSD ... So they have to be very careful with the surgery ... He feels that the surgery would help me , now not with everything , but a lot of my bad tendon pain ..... Laurie R

Clara on 3/02/02 at 03:49 (075448)

Hi Laurie R! When I read your post, I felt so sad for you... and I do feel like you, I also have 'panic attacs', it started now when I got the PF back 3 weeks ago. I can´t explain it, it´s a horror!!!!! I was 'cured' for 3 months and here we (well NOT) go again... I´ve got some 'anti-depressing'-pills ('Zoloft') from the doctor, don´t know if it will help, I hope so. I´m now afraid of EVERYTHING, and I have not being outdoor for a long time now.

Have someone of you tryed something like this pills? It´s the first time in my life, and I´m not feeling good, i rather feel worse!, but the doctor said that it can take a month before I feel any positive progression.

I hope you (and the rest of us suffering of PF) will recover soon.. I pray for you all.

Hugs
from Clara

Pam B on 3/02/02 at 06:13 (075449)

Hi Clara, its Pam........I just stopped taking zoloft and have also tried, paxil,celexa,buspar and wellbutrin, all of which are anti depressents......I guess they help some but it does take a while before they start to work.....they also have some side effects you need to be aware of.......so make sure you read them because the doctor has others he can give you to try if the zoloft is not the one for you.......I got tired of trying them all so I stopped taking them......I felt like the side effects were worse than the depression/anxiety symptoms that he gave them to me for.....I am now going to try what Laurie is trying which is the self help methods.......I have seen such an improvment in her state of mind in the past week it has given me hope that there is a way to beat this stuff.....right now, I have xanac for bad days and they really help me more than the anti depressents but the docs dont like to give them to you because they are habit forming......I seem to suffer more from anxiety than depression......both of these conditions are so much worse with the foot conditions and being in pain all the time unable to walk without suffering......I think that most anyone chronically suffering from these crippling conditions suffer with some sort of depression or anxiety and my doctor agrees with me on this......it is very frustrating to watch life go by you and not be a participant and to know if you do try you will suffer serious pain for doing what come naturally to you.....but together, with each others support, we will all get through the bad times.......there is light at the end of that tunnel, I am sure of that :) remember Clara, take note to the side effects that you can get from the pills because if that one does not work for you, there are many others out there that you can try.......I know many people that take them and have lots of luck with them........good luck to you........:)

nancy s. on 3/02/02 at 07:11 (075456)

hi clara and pam and anyone else interested. (and hi laurie, although you already know what i'm posting!). i've had panic disorder for fifteen years, and have taken klonopin for it for a long time. klonopin went right to the heart of the matter and works very well for the panic disorder -- you might ask your doctor about that, clara?

then, when life got put on hold for too long after pf hit and a variety of other tendonitises, i went through a very bad depression. (was even in the hospital for it for three weeks a year ago.) after trying a few antidepressants that didn't help much, the doc put me on wellbutrin. it didn't completely eliminate the depression, but it lifted it enough that i started to climb out and be able to think about how to make a new life for myself. i had absolutely no side effects from the wellbutrin (everyone is different, of course). i'm just starting to cut back on it now to see how i do. i still go to a cognitive therapy group -- it helps me work on how i 'think' about what happens to me, which can lead to less despairing feelings and more energy to deal with them when they do come up.

antidepressants aren't a cure-all (what is?), but they have the potential to lift you out of what i call the black pit -- and then help you be more able to cope with life's difficulties.

i hope anyone who falls into depression over the life changes that can come from pf and other foot problems will seek therapeutic and/or medication help and give it a try.
nancy

Re: hello laurie ! were you practicing any deep breathing techniques to calm you down ?

linda a on 3/02/02 at 08:26 (075457)

i too sometimes suffer from panic attacks . i usually don't take the elevators if it has more than 4 people on it . glass elevators and draw bridges can bring on attack . didn't quite like the st petersburg area alot of draw -briges . ha ha !!! oh ! and that big sky bridge was very nerve racking . guess who was the driver going over that damn brige ? ME ! so, i had to practice my deep breathing . i survived , even though i could have tossed up some cookies . ha ha !!!! laurie --- how come the second doc does not want to release the fascia ? was your fascia not very tight ? mine was and still is very tight . could you say a lttle prayer for my old high school , Holy Rosary Academy est 1867 ?. if the school doesn't come up w/ another $ 700,000 in 8 days they will be closing the doors . we were given a opportunity to raise a million dollars in 17 days by board of directors of Spalding University , who has been funding our school .kind of tacky ! . rick pitino ( u of l ) even offered to help , but we had to turn him down because of the NCAA rules . pray for a miracle . linda ( Ky)

Laurie R on 3/02/02 at 10:45 (075464)

Hi Clara ,Pam , Nancy S and Linda, Clara , Please don't feel sad for me ... This has been one of the best weeks of my life.... I have been working on myself and it feels AWESOME .. Julie's breath and relaxation tape I think has helped me more then anything ..Then the books are helping me to change the way I think ... I am one that always thinks the worse of anything and I play it over and over in my mind. In one book it suggested to stop putting myself down. I always have a reason why I can't do something . My safe place is in my house.... I don't just want to stay home. Even with all this foot pain and the terrible RSD pain , I still want to go out. When I would get out to do something , I would want to come home real soon..

I have woke up happy four days in a row now ..WOW !!!!! This is a first for me .... I am not a morning person .... This is going to take time , but I want my panic attacks to go away ..... Today my heart is not jumping , what a great feeling ...

Yesterday with all that was going on , I stayed calm ... I had a choice to get all upset over the Ortho not doing a full report , but I did not. It is not in my control over what he did not do ... And today I feel great for the way I handled it .... Just a little thing ,but little things add up to big things....

I am tried of playing the victim , I'm not a victim. My anxiety is worse then my pain .... Life is to be lived and I'm working on this now......And it feels so good.....

Nancy S has been and is such an inspiration to me .... I have known her now for a few years , she has been through so much . But she has worked so very hard on herself ... She is not a victim , she is a survivor .. Also Nancy is my mentor , and I am so very proud to have her as my firend .... She has helped me through some very hard times... I will be so ever greatful to you Nancy ...... :) ....

I will keep you all posted on my foot drama .... For today I am going to enjoy the day ...

Much love to everyone , Laurie R

wendyn on 3/02/02 at 11:27 (075471)

Laurie - I am so happy for you!!!!!!

One suggestion I read that may help with your ongoing 'recovery', is to not think 'that you want the panic attacks to go away'. The anxiety seems to thrive on the fact that you, (we) fight it.

If you welcome the next attack to practice your breathing, and relaxation - and view it instead as something that you are learning to deal with - you may find that you feel even less stress than if you want the attacks to stay away.

This was a heavy emphasis in the book I read on panic - specifically related to flying phobias. Once you get good at dealing with them, you can take a 'Bring it On!' attitude, knowing full well that you have all the tools you need to get through it again.

I have Julie's tape too, and it's great - it's neat to hear a real voice!! I don't get to listen to it nearly as often as I'd like (because of where our only tape stereo is situated) - but the principles of the tape are the same as what I've learned in yoga.

It's amazing how much it can make a difference isn't it!

Have a great day Laurie, if I get any more good news this week I may positively burst.

I found out that my ex husband is moving back to BC (yipeee!!!) makes my life easier.

I got a photo radar ticket in the mail, but it wasn't my license plate number so it's not mine.

Nancy had a great week, Laurie had a great week - my week was better than last week.

Wow.

They don't get this good that often!

nancy s. on 3/02/02 at 16:23 (075477)

i love you guys!

BrianG on 3/02/02 at 17:05 (075485)

Hi Laurie,

I'm glad to hear you are getting these 'other' issues taken care of, besides your feet. I would guess they are all connected, but that doesn't mean you can't tackle each issue, as you can. The natural methods of dealing with anxiety are the best, and your on the right track. I'm not as strong, and I take small amounts of Diazapam (Valium), especially at night if I can't sleep. I haven't raised my dose in almost 5 years! Just something to think about if you need a little 'help'. Your doing good, keep it up.

BrianG

PS Just wondering, did you really mean it when you said your anxiety was worse than your foot pain?

Laurie R on 3/02/02 at 19:09 (075497)

Dear Brian , I also take meds for my anxiety , Oh God I just started dealing with it , I mean really dealing with it .I am not super woman , YET ....LOL , I take Xanax and I feel I need it . In time I hope to not have to take it . I am one that believes in meds when we need them , that is what they are their for. Their was a time I would not take anything , then I thought this is so stupid . The pain meds help , they don't take the pain away , but they do help .....

Yes that is right , my anxiety was getting so out of control , I did not want to leave the house and when I did I just wanted to come home. I could hardly eat and I am a thin person . My stomach always upset. Yes I have terrible pain , but I think I handle it pretty well. I think I am used to the pain ... Hopefully things will start rolling on my surgery so at least part of my foot will be fixed and less pain...

I hope you all are well....

Nancy S we love you too ....:)

Laurie R

Anthony P on 3/02/02 at 23:25 (075508)

Hi Laurie , I'm happy for you too, that your happy and found something
to help you cope with anxiety .As always my prayers are always will you
Keep us posted on your up coming surgery .
:) Anthony P

Julie on 3/03/02 at 03:39 (075516)

Laurie, Wendy is right, and that's excellent advice she's given you, not to fight the panic. It's part of you, and when we fight a part of ourself it grows stronger. So no conflict: conflict is stressful, and anyway what's the point of fighting with yourself? Welcome in whatever feelings you have and use them as an opportunity to work on yourself.

You're doing fine, and I'm glad the tape is helping you. There will always be 'ups and downs', though, so just keep working through the downs.

Re: hello laurie and all the rest!!

Clara on 3/03/02 at 06:42 (075518)

Hi there! Thank you folks for all your kindness. And to Laurie, good luck! And I think Julie´s absolutely right, we should not be afraid of ourselves, the fearness is a sign for that something isn´t right! But when the panic is overwhelming, then it can help with some medicine for a while. Today, I feel better on the 'inside', have not woke up at 17 times this night like I used to after this set-back, only a couple of times I woke up, and didn´t feel a thing. Well, I think that this kind of medications is not good for us, but only for a while.

The feet is not good at the moment, it´s worse, no I cannot even 'tip-toe' to the bathroom, my husband has got to help me..so I´m in a very bad shape.

I hope I will recover soon, anyhow. i will stay put here at home, and go nowhere!

And - I love you folks!
Hugs from
/clara

john h on 3/03/02 at 13:44 (075552)

Wendy: This should make you feel real good about flying. Pilots sometimes get panic attacks while flying like if you lose 2 engines on a 4 engine plane or lose your only engine.

SteveP on 3/03/02 at 18:47 (075571)

Laurie ---

You are an inspiration, kid! You're going to beat this thing yet. It takes a lot of guts & patience to take control & make it happen, one step at a time. But we all know you can do it..........and you will.

Many blessings!

Steve

Laurie R on 3/03/02 at 20:02 (075574)

Thank you so much everyone... Wow this is so cool. I got to tell you , and this is something I thought I would never ever say . I am so loving working on myself.. My kids and hubby have been so great . He took them out today so I could have a little time to just relax and do Julie's tape... Julie I know I have told you this before , but I can not thank you enough for your wonderful tape. Your voice is so beautiful and calming . Also calm is where I want to be . It is a whole new world for me ....

Thank you all again for your awesome support , it means so much to me ... I will let everyone know how my QME (Workers comp) doctor appointment goes tomorrow ......

Much love , Laurie R

nancy s. on 3/03/02 at 20:30 (075578)

you're so right, laurie -- julie's voice on her tape is one of the most beautiful things i've ever heard.
it's also very beautiful to read your spirit soaring these days. it gives me great pleasure, laurie. you're an inspiration, my friend!
nancy

Suzanne D on 3/03/02 at 20:33 (075579)

I will be thinking of you and hope your doctor's appointment goes well tomorrow. It has been nice reading of your positive experiences in the past few days! I'm happy for you!

Suzanne :-)

Tammie on 3/04/02 at 08:51 (075605)

Dear Laurie,I to am so glad to read your positive posts, it gives ME hope and a sense of calmness that something can and does work! I to am trying some of Julies relaxation . I am waiting for her tape and I to hope that I can post with the calmness and the hopefulness in my voice also.

Julie has been wonderful as she seems to see and hear the cry of the emotional and stress and anxiety that some of us expierance!She awaits patiently untill we can answer with a open mind to recieve her help. I to Thank her , and look foward to the time I might post and say the positive things you are expierancing Laurie!I do admire your courage and your sense of self help, the way you are tackling this horrible anxiety , I am in awe of you! I am glad that I have this place to come and feel like I am a part of people who care and understand ALL of the things that go with long term foot pain. I also appreciate the fact when we stumble or get off the track there is always some wonderful friends to pull us up again and help us to see clearly again. Never giving up on us or making us feel like we don't belong . So with this I wish you great sucess today with your appt. and hope that again you will be on the road of achieving your goals! Love to you and all of the special people here each and every one!

john h on 3/04/02 at 09:47 (075609)

I have read Julie's book on her journey with breat cancer and it is more than just a story about cancer. An excellent read. I think I bought it on Amazon.com

wallyh on 3/04/02 at 13:47 (075639)

Hi,

Just wanted to weigh in on the panic situation. I used to have panic attacks in my 20's but they went away. I now at times suffer from what they call 'free floating anxiety'. There are a lot of good drugs out there that are less habit forming than Xanax (which can really reek havoc physically if you're try to shake it.) I take Klonopin, a different drug in the family of benzodiazapedes..(its generic name is clonazepam). It is highly effective, has a long half-life and there is less chance of addiction than Xanax, that is if you have not had addiction problems in the past. I surely would have preferred a natural remedy to this problem, but I tried them all and I've come to believe that in some of us this stuff is just hard-wired. At any rate it's made a great deal of difference in my life.

Wally

Pauline on 3/04/02 at 17:12 (075658)

Just thought I'd add my opinion to the discussion on ways to treat Anxiety and Depression and it is this. Anxiety and Depression are conditions that are best treated by a Psychiatrist who's experience and speciality covers all aspects of these conditions. He is well experienced with the various drugs available,and their effects. Based on the specific history of the patient who comes to his office for help he will select the best medication and/or other treatment he thinks best for that patient.

Follow up appointments are made on a regular basis so if necessary medication can be adjusted, changed, added or eliminated as well as discussions to help the patient learn to identify causes of their anxiey and depression, how to live with their condition and hopefully someday be able to be free of symptoms becomming well again. Treatment is not limited to medication alone and treatment is not a one day office visit.

Not every medication is best for every patient and although we can suggest specific medication which we might have taken, or are taking the choice of medication I believe is best left in the hands of a Psychiatrist and his or her patient.

Any person seeking this type of medical advice, on this board, should feel free to take any suggestion posted about medications back to their own physician for discussion. Their physician can then advise them about the merits of that drug in relationship to their specific conditon.

All to often a person seeks help in this area from friends or their primary care physician because of the stigma attached to seeing a Psychiatrist. Their primary care physicians do not have the time nor the experience in this area of medicine. They are not the experts and do not see and treat as many cases. Their friends often end up offering them some of their own medication to try.

I was surprised at first to see how many people swap medications, but now I recognize this as a pretty standard practice. A very dangerous one, but one that people do every day. It's not one we should be promoting or teaching to our young people and the stigma of seeing a Psychiatrist is something we all should work to bury.

nancy s. on 3/04/02 at 17:44 (075660)

yes, of course. a psychiatrist or, even better as far as medications go, a psychopharmacologist. some pcp's and other docs are also capable of knowledgeably prescribing for classic mild depression or for anxiety.

if someone's doctor-prescribed antidepressant is not working for the person's anxiety or panic disorder, i don't hesitate to suggest that the person and the person's doctor consider the anti-anxiety medication that finally worked for me.

some medications are known to have more side effects for a high percentage of people; some are known to usually have less. i would feel negligent as a fellow sufferer if i did not point this out.

there are no guarantees for anyone, but educated suggestions can help some people. i would never suggest that someone try someone else's medication rather than get their own evaluation and prescription from a doctor. that would be foolish.
nancy

Re: My thoughts also

Tammie on 3/04/02 at 18:59 (075675)

Actually, I think it is very good to discuss this topic and all different medications that are being used . Now noone is going to go out and buy thease as they are scripts ! It does no harm to talk about it it seems sometimes easyer with people going thru same thing, it does not make you feel isolated or like a freak of nature, if you understand what I am saying.For me it opened a door and allowed me to aproach my primary, and she tho not a phys of the head per say, she is very familar with observing thease types of things as she is a family dr. a well rounded and taught a bit about all areas of medicine.

Now I must say , I did ask my brother in law what he thought of the choices of medications and he thought they were fine. He is a Dr. of the head (chuckle) and he surly knows our family and me. No he does not knopw my deep down fears of troubles but he is very educated on the types of medications and side effects. He thought it was fine. Now yes there sometimes is the need for counseling and more professional help indeed. At that point I would hope the dr. prescribing the medications would address that and help locate the proper professional!

My primary agrees with what is being said about my dx and has told me I need to see a Dr. who knows it and treats and dx of Rsd .Someone who is much better then her or a pod or a ortho. She is making me a appt. with a person that can do this and who she recomends. I feel very very comfortable with her. I trust her judgement and respect her advice knowing she is not God and trying to help me. The talk about specialties can go on and on but the bottom line is some help is better then none, and if you are comfortable with one of your dr.s he or she may help you find what you are needing! And friends sharing expierances is very helpful for those of us who feel we are all alone dealing with similar things. It at least opens the door for seeking help and making you feel a bit more comfortable with the thoughts there may be some help and that you are not the only one feeling thease feelings.

Re: My thoughts alsoRE Tammie I AGREE WITH YOU

Laurie R on 3/04/02 at 21:35 (075686)

Hi Everyone , I so agree with your post.... As you all know I have panic disorder. It took me forever to even talk about it , let alone with a doctor . But when I finally got my nerve to talk about it , it was with my Pod . He said he and the other doctors in his office do treat anxiety disorders.. He is the one that gave me the meds.. I feel very comfortable with him and his treatment of the meds.. To me it is who you feel comfortable with doctor wise .... It is better then trying to go it alone and not get a doctors help ......

I bet very few people can say they never took a script med from someone else ...... I know I have at some point at one time or another. I know it is not right , but I have to be honest here....

My best to all , Laurie R

Re: Accomidation, not addiction

BrianG on 3/04/02 at 21:57 (075690)

Hi WallyH,

I just wanted to comment on what you mentioned about some drugs being more addictive than others. Personally, I don't think that is somthing the majority of us have to worry about. When prescribed by a doctor, this doctor will also know how to taper someone off, when it's time to stop taking the drug. There are many drugs available that can help us, but some of them cannot be stopped 'cold turkey' without some physical discomfert. With a doctors guidance, and slowly tapering off a med, it's not that much of a problem. No craving, no sweats, cramps, etc. Please trust your doctors, and if you do end up with discomfert, let him know. In short, do not be afaid to try something new, just because you have heard it may lead to addiction.

Good Luck
BrianG

PS If you have had addiction issues in your past, level with your doctor. They can still work with you, but they may pay a little more attention to how your doing, compared to their other patients.

Re: Accomidation, not addiction -- BRIAN G

nancy s. on 3/04/02 at 22:11 (075691)

brian, kathryn has been trying to get some info from you -- i think on the doctors' board. just wanted you to check there in case you haven't seen her posts.
nancy

Re: To Laurie/Panic/Anxiety/meds

Beverly on 3/05/02 at 16:37 (075756)

Laurie,

I'm sending you my best wishes as you wade through your second opinion.

I also commend you on being brave enough to 'out' yourself here as someone who has panic attacks.

I'm a worrier... not quite the same as panic attacks. I've had a panic attack twice in my life, and they were both very unpleasant experiences. I remember the room swimming, breaking out in a cold sweat, and getting dizzy, and sick to my stomach. No fun at all.

Well, while we're being so honest, my hangout is general situational anxiety. When I'm going through stress, I get what my therapist calls 'situational anxiety.' I tend to examine something from every angle, do research, think, worry, plan, try to make it perfect, ect... This drive for perfection is both what makes me good at my work and drives me crazy inside.

For years, I've listened to guided meditation tapes... especially like Bernie Segal. And I'm had plenty of psycho-therapy -- usually the short-term stuff. Break ups do me in the most. Probably why I'm in no hurry to do it again.

For years, my therapist (a clinical social worker, MSW) would occassionally suggest that I get medication for short-term anxiety producing situations. I just could not get past my hangups about meds to ask the doctor for them. I could easily ask for pain meds but not 'mood' pills.

Finally, in dealing with my aging Dad, I just felt pushed over the edge, and my therapist gave me some suggestions that I then took to my internist. I feel so much better, and I wish I hadn't waited so long to ask permission for the stuff. I think the more honest we are with our doctors, the better they can help. I avoided this for so long, because I was afraid that he'd blow off my pain as 'in my head.' But instead, he was very nice, and understanding.

I like asking my internist for my meds with some guidance from my therapist, because he knows everything I take. If a specialist gives me something, I always make sure he knows everything I take, including supplements. I'm always concerned about drug interactions. And then, I still always ask the pharmacist if any new med is going to have a bad interaction with present meds.

Well, my best to you.
Beverly