Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Boots vs. Athletic Shoes'

Posted by Rachael T. on 3/04/02 at 23:21 (075698)

I am asking this question to doctors & to you PF patients: Why am I more comfortable in my Ariat Riding boots & Boston Birks than a good NB athletic shoe or any athletic shoe for that matter.....& yes, I have my custom orthotic in both the boot & the athletic shoes! In the athletic shoe, my foot feels like it is too spongey.....& yet, these same shoes were once comfy..... This is not the first time this has happened, but it confuses me as to why? Should I opt for the comfort (I wanna!!!) or should I make myself wear the athletic shoe to promote healing??? (I don't wanna!) Smiling as I type that!

Re: Boots vs. Athletic Shoes'

Julie on 3/05/02 at 02:06 (075706)

Not a doctor, just a thought...

Have you read the exchange Carole and Donna have been having about New Balance shoes? It's clear that they make a huge variety of styles, and also clear that some of these are rubbish. Even if you have one of the 'good' styles, it may not be what you need: several of them are built to correct biomechanical faults which you may not have, so wearing them WOULD be uncomfortable, and could lead to more problems.

Do have a look at that thread. I can't remember where it is, and I don't want to lose what I've written by going to look for it, but try the 'Inserts, orthotics' board.

I seriously doubt that a shoe that makes you really uncomfortable is promoting your healing.

JudyS on 3/05/02 at 11:53 (075741)

Rachael, my experience is much the same as yours. The most pain-free pair of shoes I have is my Martha Stewart gardening clogs! I can wear them all day with minimal discomfort. Then, like you, I try wearing my NB 854's and I have sore feet within a couple of hours - they just seem to be too soft and conforming.
I'm guessing that this is all because our sore feet prefer the more inflexible surface of boots, clogs, Birks?
Perhaps Donna will chime in on this one.

Ellen on 3/05/02 at 18:18 (075767)

Hi Rachel,
As a P. F. sufferer who has had sore feet for 3 years, I have to say that I only recently discovered that my athletic shoes were a prime culprit in aggravating my Plantar Fasciitis. For me, it has been all of my 3 pairs of running shoes that caused problems even though I would only wear them for a couple of hours a day while walking around at the gym (I don't run in them because running messed up my feet--I only lift weights and bicyle). Have you tried 'motion control' running shoes? Maybe that type would be the most stable and help you? I think all the brands have motion control versions. I have found that if I wear any shoe that hurts at all, it makes my feet worse.
Good luck to you!
Ellen

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/05/02 at 21:37 (075783)

New Balance makes some of the better motion control shoes but they are neutral plane (no tilt) and do not have a contoured foot bed which is what a lot of plantar fasciitis sufferers need. The Birks and many clogs have more arch support, contoured foot bed and tend to be more supportive when standing. Clogs, while being good for standing, do not provide a normal gait for walking since they do not have adequate flexibility in the ball.

A good idea is a combined approach. Use a Birk or similar clog when doing chores around the house or for long periods of standing (go into many operating rooms and you will see clogs lined up in the locker rooms). Use a good motion control shoe such as the New Balance 1121 with a Superfeet insert or custom orthotic for walking or exercise. http://www.superfeet.com
Ed

Monte on 3/06/02 at 07:57 (075807)

Dr Davis...Are NB 1121 good for a mild overpronator with othotics? can too much control be bad for PF? I wear NB 1003 and they are OK. Are the NB 1121 better for this problem? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Rachael T. on 3/06/02 at 18:34 (075866)

Thank you for your reply Dr. - I shall head to the mall at the next opportunity to find 1121's & Superfeet online. As every PF'r knows, this injury takes it toll on each of us - & throughout it is great to have this board for support & the doctors' advisement. I started Phys. Therapy yesterday - w/ hope that it might put me over the top & get my healing going with a little more speed & ease! I continue to be hopeful! One last question.....is it a negative factor wearing Aria Riding boots w/ custom orth. - the boots have about a 1+' heel? What heel height is the best? & the worst?

Ed Davis on 3/07/02 at 17:20 (075924)

The NB1121 can be overkill if you are a mild overpronator and have good orthotics.
Ed

Ed Davis on 3/07/02 at 17:21 (075925)

It is a good idea to vary heel heights. A higher heel places the fascia in a relaxed postion but too much high heel use allows the achilles to contact (shorten).
Ed

Julie on 3/05/02 at 02:06 (075706)

Not a doctor, just a thought...

Have you read the exchange Carole and Donna have been having about New Balance shoes? It's clear that they make a huge variety of styles, and also clear that some of these are rubbish. Even if you have one of the 'good' styles, it may not be what you need: several of them are built to correct biomechanical faults which you may not have, so wearing them WOULD be uncomfortable, and could lead to more problems.

Do have a look at that thread. I can't remember where it is, and I don't want to lose what I've written by going to look for it, but try the 'Inserts, orthotics' board.

I seriously doubt that a shoe that makes you really uncomfortable is promoting your healing.

JudyS on 3/05/02 at 11:53 (075741)

Rachael, my experience is much the same as yours. The most pain-free pair of shoes I have is my Martha Stewart gardening clogs! I can wear them all day with minimal discomfort. Then, like you, I try wearing my NB 854's and I have sore feet within a couple of hours - they just seem to be too soft and conforming.
I'm guessing that this is all because our sore feet prefer the more inflexible surface of boots, clogs, Birks?
Perhaps Donna will chime in on this one.

Ellen on 3/05/02 at 18:18 (075767)

Hi Rachel,
As a P. F. sufferer who has had sore feet for 3 years, I have to say that I only recently discovered that my athletic shoes were a prime culprit in aggravating my Plantar Fasciitis. For me, it has been all of my 3 pairs of running shoes that caused problems even though I would only wear them for a couple of hours a day while walking around at the gym (I don't run in them because running messed up my feet--I only lift weights and bicyle). Have you tried 'motion control' running shoes? Maybe that type would be the most stable and help you? I think all the brands have motion control versions. I have found that if I wear any shoe that hurts at all, it makes my feet worse.
Good luck to you!
Ellen

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/05/02 at 21:37 (075783)

New Balance makes some of the better motion control shoes but they are neutral plane (no tilt) and do not have a contoured foot bed which is what a lot of plantar fasciitis sufferers need. The Birks and many clogs have more arch support, contoured foot bed and tend to be more supportive when standing. Clogs, while being good for standing, do not provide a normal gait for walking since they do not have adequate flexibility in the ball.

A good idea is a combined approach. Use a Birk or similar clog when doing chores around the house or for long periods of standing (go into many operating rooms and you will see clogs lined up in the locker rooms). Use a good motion control shoe such as the New Balance 1121 with a Superfeet insert or custom orthotic for walking or exercise. http://www.superfeet.com
Ed

Monte on 3/06/02 at 07:57 (075807)

Dr Davis...Are NB 1121 good for a mild overpronator with othotics? can too much control be bad for PF? I wear NB 1003 and they are OK. Are the NB 1121 better for this problem? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Rachael T. on 3/06/02 at 18:34 (075866)

Thank you for your reply Dr. - I shall head to the mall at the next opportunity to find 1121's & Superfeet online. As every PF'r knows, this injury takes it toll on each of us - & throughout it is great to have this board for support & the doctors' advisement. I started Phys. Therapy yesterday - w/ hope that it might put me over the top & get my healing going with a little more speed & ease! I continue to be hopeful! One last question.....is it a negative factor wearing Aria Riding boots w/ custom orth. - the boots have about a 1+' heel? What heel height is the best? & the worst?

Ed Davis on 3/07/02 at 17:20 (075924)

The NB1121 can be overkill if you are a mild overpronator and have good orthotics.
Ed

Ed Davis on 3/07/02 at 17:21 (075925)

It is a good idea to vary heel heights. A higher heel places the fascia in a relaxed postion but too much high heel use allows the achilles to contact (shorten).
Ed

Re: NB 1121

Cyndi T. on 6/10/03 at 12:08 (121452)

I have been wearing the NB 991's, but decided to try on the 1121's yesterday, since they have been so highly recommended on this website. I was advised against them by the store clerk. She said they can cause pain in the shins, and then I'd have to do stretches for that. I insisted on trying them on anyway, since they were so highly recommended. The shoes are very heavy, and have such a high heel, they look like elevator shoes! I am very petite and not overweight, and these shoes were so overwhelming to me. The clerk said that they have found that very few people can wear them. I have plantar fasciitis and just started wearing custom orthotics. I overpronote a little and have a medium arch. I have discovered that I am better off sticking with the 991's.