Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Direct connection between PF and TTS?

Posted by Sharon W on 3/05/02 at 08:46 (075718)

I've seen references to plantar facaetis 'causing' or 'leading to' tarsal tunnel syndrome. Does that occur -- and if so, how?

Also -- would an NCV test show nerve disruption in the tarsal tunnel caused by a varicose vein, if that vein were not really engorged/distended at that particular moment? The varicose vein showed up on an MRI (with illumination) but my nerve symptoms vary radically with how much I've been on my feet and I think the NCV test will probably be done in the morning.

-- Sharon

Re: Direct connection between PF and TTS?

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/05/02 at 21:26 (075780)

I know of no direct connection between TTS and PF.

An engorged vein causing excess pressure on the tibial nerve over an extending period of time should cause electrical changes that persist even when the vein is not engorged. That said, it may be informative to have the test done both in the elevated and dependant position to see if engorgement changes the conduction velocities.
Ed

Re: Direct connection between PF and TTS?

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/05/02 at 21:26 (075780)

I know of no direct connection between TTS and PF.

An engorged vein causing excess pressure on the tibial nerve over an extending period of time should cause electrical changes that persist even when the vein is not engorged. That said, it may be informative to have the test done both in the elevated and dependant position to see if engorgement changes the conduction velocities.
Ed