Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cycling

Posted by Sandy H. on 3/05/02 at 09:33 (075722)

Does cycling aggravate PF? or just cycling on hills cos I have some monster hills where I live but haven't ridden on them since getting this.

Re: Cycling

Rebecca C. on 3/05/02 at 11:04 (075734)

As a long time cyclist with PF I think that its important to wear shoes that are designed specifically for bike riding. These shoes are very stiff and won't allow your foot to 'fold' over the pedal like a running shoe would, which would be very bad for PF. Also, if you have cleats that clip into the pedal and you are set up properly, meaning the ball of your foot is over the pedal spindle, it helps too. I think if you wear the right shoes, spin in a low gear and it doesn't hurt when your doing it or after, that bike riding is fine. I'm sure there will be others that say differently, but that's my opinion, for what it's worth.

john h on 3/05/02 at 13:09 (075748)

I use a recumbent cycle several days a week for 30-40 minutes and it does not bother me. Make sure you do not pedal with your toes and get your feet well into the pedal. Do not set resistance so high that you are pressing down real hard during each pedal stroke. Everyone is different so you may experience something different than me.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/05/02 at 18:57 (075772)

I got PF due to cycling barefoot at maximum resistance with a 'no pain no gain' attitude on my recumbant bicycle, with the seat too far back so that in addition to straining my PF I was also twanging my achilles tendon on each go-around for good measure. I have always been one who had to learn things the hard way. (sigh)

Be careful about those hills, and pay attention to your feet.

Carole C

Re: Losing muscles in bad leg

Sandy H. on 3/06/02 at 01:13 (075795)

Yep. I've bought the bike shoes instead of toeclips and lowered my saddle. I plan to buy some mountain bike gears before heading back into the hills. We will see. I think it is also bad for my back and hamstrings but I want to do some exercise and not just the gym which is so booorrring. I'm also a bit alarmed by the loss of calf and thigh muscle in my bad leg. Does that matter much?

Carole C in NOLA on 3/06/02 at 07:24 (075804)

When you rest and don't use muscles, you will lose some capability. Still, rest is a crucial part of good, conservative treatment for PF. I don't remember your history specifically, so I'm assuming here that you only have PF and that both your legs have simply lost musculature due to resting.

At some point in our recovery, when we are fairly well healed, it's time to start gradually building those muscles back up. I think that (for me, at least) the key word here is 'gradually' so that I don't re-injure my PF or get a whole new injury of some kind, due to overdoing. For example, in your case since you have lost so much of your calf and thigh muscles, my guess would be that these areas would be injury prone as well, and could suffer some injury such as pulling a muscle unless you are very cautious.

I'm trying to pay attention to how my feet feel, and to do less than I think I can rather than more. My philosophy is to approach this slowly and cautiously (not being too old to learn from my previously over-exuberant approach that resulted in my PF). The slow and cautious approach is easier to do on a recumbent bicycle than outdoors, and luckily I don't get too bored on it since I have one at home. Right now I have the stress turned down to zero and I am riding more slowly and for a shorter time than I want to. I also do plenty of stretching during warm up and cool down.

Carole C

john h on 3/06/02 at 09:09 (075816)

Carole: biking barefoot with max resistance?????? You must think you are 'China' the body builder or something. To much booze or something girl. Rather than run up the hill in front of my club I now ride up it in my Honda.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/06/02 at 09:57 (075822)

John, you crack me up, and you are right! That was so dumb. I never had any foot problems prior to September's barefoot bicycling. I have big bones and ugly tough strong peasant feet. Or did. Rough and crude but my feet could take anything I could dish out. I grew up in Hawaii where I went barefoot a lot and even climbed 3000 foot steep mountains of sharp lava rock barefoot. My feet got so tough, that I used to break glass bottles with them to show off how tough I was when I was in high school. As an adult, I don't break bottles with my feet but walking has always been my favorite exercise and when my daughter was little twenty years ago I walked fifteen miles a day pushing her stroller, trying to lose weight, wearing cheap rubber zoris. No problems.

I plead ignorance as my excuse! I'm very very sedentary in recent years, due to my arthritis, but still had the mentality of that Hawaiian teenager. It didn't occur to me that just biking barefoot could possibly be a problem for anybody, and the idea of the maximum resistance was that I was trying to lose weight faster. I thought that maximum energy expenditure per revolution would mean fewer revolutions would be necessary for my weight loss, and would be easier on my arthritic knees. DUH! This whole PF thing is one of those 'I shoulda had a V-8' type experiences. I should have turned that resistance down and worn bike shoes. Possibly, just possibly, I should learn how to act my age (53) at least when it comes to physical limitations.

I'll watch out for those hills in the future, too. :)

Carole C

john h on 3/06/02 at 13:33 (075839)

Hey Carole acting your age at 53 means you need to get out and boogie, have a bit of the grape and go crazy every once in a while. John Glenn went into space at 73 or 76 so you need to act like you want to act not like what people expect you to act. Sounds like your feet need a little dolling up. I was just telling Judy I had a very pretty foot and could not understand how such a nice looking foot could hurt. I think Nancy S and Judy must go crazy sometimes and think they are back in the 60's.Just look at their pictures on the board. I know Nancy S husband is going crazy as he is off to Cambodia and Laos to hack around in the jungle. Go mix some swamp water with some gin and have at it.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/06/02 at 14:04 (075841)

My feet DO look just an eentsy bit better since I've been using the Night Blooming Jasmine lotion on them. Not quite so rough looking as they were. I love that photo of Judy and Nancy S. The shoes that Judy is wearing look like the cute cocoa nubuck Birkenstock Granadas that I bought week before last. I bought socks with moons and stars on them to wear with them. I look like a refugee from the sixties in them too, but my feet are disguised enough by the Grenadas (not to mention the 'trippy' socks!) that they almost look cute. :)

I do feel like boogeying now and then, I have to admit. I am ready to let loose! My feet don't hurt today even if my back does (which is why I'm home from work). Laissez les bons temps rouler. We've got plenty of swamp water in Louisiana right outside my door, but I'm fresh out of gin. LOL

Carole C

Rebecca C. on 3/05/02 at 11:04 (075734)

As a long time cyclist with PF I think that its important to wear shoes that are designed specifically for bike riding. These shoes are very stiff and won't allow your foot to 'fold' over the pedal like a running shoe would, which would be very bad for PF. Also, if you have cleats that clip into the pedal and you are set up properly, meaning the ball of your foot is over the pedal spindle, it helps too. I think if you wear the right shoes, spin in a low gear and it doesn't hurt when your doing it or after, that bike riding is fine. I'm sure there will be others that say differently, but that's my opinion, for what it's worth.

john h on 3/05/02 at 13:09 (075748)

I use a recumbent cycle several days a week for 30-40 minutes and it does not bother me. Make sure you do not pedal with your toes and get your feet well into the pedal. Do not set resistance so high that you are pressing down real hard during each pedal stroke. Everyone is different so you may experience something different than me.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/05/02 at 18:57 (075772)

I got PF due to cycling barefoot at maximum resistance with a 'no pain no gain' attitude on my recumbant bicycle, with the seat too far back so that in addition to straining my PF I was also twanging my achilles tendon on each go-around for good measure. I have always been one who had to learn things the hard way. (sigh)

Be careful about those hills, and pay attention to your feet.

Carole C

Sandy H. on 3/06/02 at 01:13 (075795)

Yep. I've bought the bike shoes instead of toeclips and lowered my saddle. I plan to buy some mountain bike gears before heading back into the hills. We will see. I think it is also bad for my back and hamstrings but I want to do some exercise and not just the gym which is so booorrring. I'm also a bit alarmed by the loss of calf and thigh muscle in my bad leg. Does that matter much?

Carole C in NOLA on 3/06/02 at 07:24 (075804)

When you rest and don't use muscles, you will lose some capability. Still, rest is a crucial part of good, conservative treatment for PF. I don't remember your history specifically, so I'm assuming here that you only have PF and that both your legs have simply lost musculature due to resting.

At some point in our recovery, when we are fairly well healed, it's time to start gradually building those muscles back up. I think that (for me, at least) the key word here is 'gradually' so that I don't re-injure my PF or get a whole new injury of some kind, due to overdoing. For example, in your case since you have lost so much of your calf and thigh muscles, my guess would be that these areas would be injury prone as well, and could suffer some injury such as pulling a muscle unless you are very cautious.

I'm trying to pay attention to how my feet feel, and to do less than I think I can rather than more. My philosophy is to approach this slowly and cautiously (not being too old to learn from my previously over-exuberant approach that resulted in my PF). The slow and cautious approach is easier to do on a recumbent bicycle than outdoors, and luckily I don't get too bored on it since I have one at home. Right now I have the stress turned down to zero and I am riding more slowly and for a shorter time than I want to. I also do plenty of stretching during warm up and cool down.

Carole C

john h on 3/06/02 at 09:09 (075816)

Carole: biking barefoot with max resistance?????? You must think you are 'China' the body builder or something. To much booze or something girl. Rather than run up the hill in front of my club I now ride up it in my Honda.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/06/02 at 09:57 (075822)

John, you crack me up, and you are right! That was so dumb. I never had any foot problems prior to September's barefoot bicycling. I have big bones and ugly tough strong peasant feet. Or did. Rough and crude but my feet could take anything I could dish out. I grew up in Hawaii where I went barefoot a lot and even climbed 3000 foot steep mountains of sharp lava rock barefoot. My feet got so tough, that I used to break glass bottles with them to show off how tough I was when I was in high school. As an adult, I don't break bottles with my feet but walking has always been my favorite exercise and when my daughter was little twenty years ago I walked fifteen miles a day pushing her stroller, trying to lose weight, wearing cheap rubber zoris. No problems.

I plead ignorance as my excuse! I'm very very sedentary in recent years, due to my arthritis, but still had the mentality of that Hawaiian teenager. It didn't occur to me that just biking barefoot could possibly be a problem for anybody, and the idea of the maximum resistance was that I was trying to lose weight faster. I thought that maximum energy expenditure per revolution would mean fewer revolutions would be necessary for my weight loss, and would be easier on my arthritic knees. DUH! This whole PF thing is one of those 'I shoulda had a V-8' type experiences. I should have turned that resistance down and worn bike shoes. Possibly, just possibly, I should learn how to act my age (53) at least when it comes to physical limitations.

I'll watch out for those hills in the future, too. :)

Carole C

john h on 3/06/02 at 13:33 (075839)

Hey Carole acting your age at 53 means you need to get out and boogie, have a bit of the grape and go crazy every once in a while. John Glenn went into space at 73 or 76 so you need to act like you want to act not like what people expect you to act. Sounds like your feet need a little dolling up. I was just telling Judy I had a very pretty foot and could not understand how such a nice looking foot could hurt. I think Nancy S and Judy must go crazy sometimes and think they are back in the 60's.Just look at their pictures on the board. I know Nancy S husband is going crazy as he is off to Cambodia and Laos to hack around in the jungle. Go mix some swamp water with some gin and have at it.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/06/02 at 14:04 (075841)

My feet DO look just an eentsy bit better since I've been using the Night Blooming Jasmine lotion on them. Not quite so rough looking as they were. I love that photo of Judy and Nancy S. The shoes that Judy is wearing look like the cute cocoa nubuck Birkenstock Granadas that I bought week before last. I bought socks with moons and stars on them to wear with them. I look like a refugee from the sixties in them too, but my feet are disguised enough by the Grenadas (not to mention the 'trippy' socks!) that they almost look cute. :)

I do feel like boogeying now and then, I have to admit. I am ready to let loose! My feet don't hurt today even if my back does (which is why I'm home from work). Laissez les bons temps rouler. We've got plenty of swamp water in Louisiana right outside my door, but I'm fresh out of gin. LOL

Carole C