Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Julie, Carole, Valerie...you spurred me on!

Posted by Suzanne D on 3/05/02 at 12:32 (075744)

Thanks for your replies to my earlier message about my knees and shoes, etc. Julie, when you wrote ' We've got to be willing to change when change seems to be called for', it really made me think and spurred me to action. Yes, my Birks have helped the arch and heel pain so much, and I have invested quite a bit of money in the three pairs I have consistently worn since August. But I can't ignore the knee pain which is continually getting worse. The doctor found nothing significant in my joints to be causing it, and like you said, he didn't really think I had much of an arthritis problem.

Then, Valerie, I had been wearing my 'old lady' fur-lined boots during some bitterly cold and snowy days recently with my Birk inserts which fit nicely inside. And. like you, I had to notice the difference in the heel lift and the lighter feeling in my legs.

So...Carole, you won't believe what shoes I bought last night! Yes, you guessed it: SAS Free Time. Now you are not alone! Aren't those the ones you wear with your orthotics? And, yes, I hate the way they look (I wear an 11 which I know is bigger than yours!), BUT after a long time in my best shoe store near me, talking to a rather knowledgeable lady who has had heel problems and trying on several pairs, I was convinced that these are the best shoes for me now when I am on my feet for long periods of time. They are so supportive with the lace up factor, and my Birk inserts fit in fine along with the removable insole that came in them. (I usually wear a narrow; these are medium, so it all fits. And later if I have to go to a custom orthotic which takes up more room, they should still fit in these shoes by removing this insole) I tried some other SAS lace-ups, and while they felt alright, there was no mistaking the extra support in the Free Time. So, there goes my long dress and sandal look which I love to wear in the Spring to school, but I really do want to keep teaching, and I had to face the facts of what was happening to my knees. To be here with the children is ultimately more important to me than what my shoes look like (Can you tell I am still trying to convince myself about this?!), and so I am wearing them today. And none of the children have seemed to notice. Now I HAVE seen some of the other women here look down quickly at my feet, but then ultimately the children are more important to me.

So, thank you all! Other than soreness from a fall yesterday (See the social board for an amusing account of that!), I think I can tell a positive difference already.

My best to each of you! :-)

Re: Julie, Carole, Valerie...you spurred me on!

Carole C in NOLA on 3/05/02 at 17:26 (075762)

Suzanne, I'm so glad you got these SAS shoes and that they may be helping! The lace up factor makes a difference, I think, and SAS shoes are very comfortable. Apparently you and I have different styles (mine is called 'Time Out' rather than 'Free Time'). Also, mine are in a men's 9W which is definitely HUGE, I think probably much wider than a women's wide! and about two inches or more longer than my size 9 1/2 feet when the orthotics are not in them. Well, maybe they are not as bad as I am saying, but that is my perception. Clarabelle shoes; Sherman tanks; you've heard it all from me before.

I still hate wearing my Time Outs. I've had to wear them so long during my quest for the perfect shoe, that on days when I wear them I do so with a sort of 'in your face' attitude. It's easier to wear them on days like today when I feel that I actually need them. But, lately there have been long periods of time when I'm not feeling much if any pain, and don't really feel like I need them. (yippee!) When I feel like that, I resent having to wear what are essentially big ugly medical devices on feet that don't need them.

Buying more SAS shoes in a *reasonable* size that a sales person would fit to my foot (without my orthotics) is an option that I might try! They are certainly comfortable.

Maybe your first graders would get a kick out of it if you attached something cute and springlike, like little plastic flowers or something, to the laces! :)

Carole C

Valerie S on 3/05/02 at 18:12 (075766)

Good to see your spirits are up, Suzanne... !

Uh... Carole... ? The way you describe your pretty SAS shoes is so funny... and did you know that sometimes parents call punishment a 'time out' ... ? hee hee... not like you should think of wearing those shoes as punishment of course... since they are doing you so much good! Just thought I'd share the smile you gave me on that one...

Val.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/05/02 at 18:38 (075770)

LOL! Well, that's sort of the way I look at them. I wonder if I associate the name for them with the punishment. Time out, Carole, shame on you, you have to wear these horrid shoes until your feet can learn to behave and not hurt! LOL

They really are doing me a lot of good, which is why I'm ready to move on. I think you have probably lost your mind since you call them 'pretty SAS shoes', though! :)

SAS does make some pretty shoes, but not mine. I don't like wearing their men's shoes in such a huge size because they make me feel like a crossdressing clown!

Carole C

Re: Carole's pretty shoes

Valerie S on 3/06/02 at 07:43 (075806)

Carole...

You're too funny! But your shoes are ugly! hee hee... Good thing you have such a beautiful smile, right?

Get a wild hairdo and I'll guarantee no one will be looking at your shoes!

Keep smiling, girl! You're awesome!

Val.

Re: A story this reminds me of...

Mahatmelissama on 3/09/02 at 23:45 (076094)

I don't know if this makes sense but once I was at a friend's house. She had some guys over who were friends of her spouse. Well, I took my shoes off and left them in the other room. She told me the next day all the guys asked her how big my feet were...that they 'coulnd't believe how big my shoes were!'. Then she told me that 'one of them wanted to go out with me!' This guy made fun of how big my feet were and then wanted to go out with me. I went out with him out of youthful stupidity (that was like 10 years ago when I was 24 and didn't know any better). He turned out to be a very depressed addict..horrible date.

Anyway, the one cheery thing I learned from this story is that (at least men!) don't care about how big your feet are...or much what kind of shoes you have on (gengerally speaking). That alone encourages me since I am wearing the most sprout-eating-Santa-Cruz-Berkeley-lovin'-hippie-sandals with EVERYHING (even skirts) right now. I ordered a new pair of shoes to fit my gun-boats that my ortho pads will fit in for a wedding. These shoes, like the sprout-loving-sandles, are an arm and a leg to pay for but they are passable for a wedding that I am attending in the next few months.

I can just see some guy looking at you thinking 'hey, check her out...cute smile!' and then looking down at your SAS shoes and then saying 'I dunno anymore...these shoes...they are such a turn off to me...oh, man, forget her! I will go for the mean-looking lady in the high spike heels! Those are such FINE lookin' shoes!' ;)

Carole C in NOLA on 3/10/02 at 07:51 (076102)

LOL! Matahmelissama, you do have a point, and you cheer me up. :)

The guy I had been going with for a year and a half dumped me right before Christmas, right when I first started wearing them. He said he didn't have time for women but that we are still friends. I found out yesterday that he was lying about that part too.

Probably my shoes didn't have anything to do with him dumping me. You are right, it doesn't make sense for it to be the shoes, after all that time together. The fact that I couldn't do much of anything and was whining all the time probably was more important, or maybe it was something else I haven't thought of.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 3/05/02 at 17:26 (075762)

Suzanne, I'm so glad you got these SAS shoes and that they may be helping! The lace up factor makes a difference, I think, and SAS shoes are very comfortable. Apparently you and I have different styles (mine is called 'Time Out' rather than 'Free Time'). Also, mine are in a men's 9W which is definitely HUGE, I think probably much wider than a women's wide! and about two inches or more longer than my size 9 1/2 feet when the orthotics are not in them. Well, maybe they are not as bad as I am saying, but that is my perception. Clarabelle shoes; Sherman tanks; you've heard it all from me before.

I still hate wearing my Time Outs. I've had to wear them so long during my quest for the perfect shoe, that on days when I wear them I do so with a sort of 'in your face' attitude. It's easier to wear them on days like today when I feel that I actually need them. But, lately there have been long periods of time when I'm not feeling much if any pain, and don't really feel like I need them. (yippee!) When I feel like that, I resent having to wear what are essentially big ugly medical devices on feet that don't need them.

Buying more SAS shoes in a *reasonable* size that a sales person would fit to my foot (without my orthotics) is an option that I might try! They are certainly comfortable.

Maybe your first graders would get a kick out of it if you attached something cute and springlike, like little plastic flowers or something, to the laces! :)

Carole C

Valerie S on 3/05/02 at 18:12 (075766)

Good to see your spirits are up, Suzanne... !

Uh... Carole... ? The way you describe your pretty SAS shoes is so funny... and did you know that sometimes parents call punishment a 'time out' ... ? hee hee... not like you should think of wearing those shoes as punishment of course... since they are doing you so much good! Just thought I'd share the smile you gave me on that one...

Val.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/05/02 at 18:38 (075770)

LOL! Well, that's sort of the way I look at them. I wonder if I associate the name for them with the punishment. Time out, Carole, shame on you, you have to wear these horrid shoes until your feet can learn to behave and not hurt! LOL

They really are doing me a lot of good, which is why I'm ready to move on. I think you have probably lost your mind since you call them 'pretty SAS shoes', though! :)

SAS does make some pretty shoes, but not mine. I don't like wearing their men's shoes in such a huge size because they make me feel like a crossdressing clown!

Carole C

Re: Carole's pretty shoes

Valerie S on 3/06/02 at 07:43 (075806)

Carole...

You're too funny! But your shoes are ugly! hee hee... Good thing you have such a beautiful smile, right?

Get a wild hairdo and I'll guarantee no one will be looking at your shoes!

Keep smiling, girl! You're awesome!

Val.

Mahatmelissama on 3/09/02 at 23:45 (076094)

I don't know if this makes sense but once I was at a friend's house. She had some guys over who were friends of her spouse. Well, I took my shoes off and left them in the other room. She told me the next day all the guys asked her how big my feet were...that they 'coulnd't believe how big my shoes were!'. Then she told me that 'one of them wanted to go out with me!' This guy made fun of how big my feet were and then wanted to go out with me. I went out with him out of youthful stupidity (that was like 10 years ago when I was 24 and didn't know any better). He turned out to be a very depressed addict..horrible date.

Anyway, the one cheery thing I learned from this story is that (at least men!) don't care about how big your feet are...or much what kind of shoes you have on (gengerally speaking). That alone encourages me since I am wearing the most sprout-eating-Santa-Cruz-Berkeley-lovin'-hippie-sandals with EVERYHING (even skirts) right now. I ordered a new pair of shoes to fit my gun-boats that my ortho pads will fit in for a wedding. These shoes, like the sprout-loving-sandles, are an arm and a leg to pay for but they are passable for a wedding that I am attending in the next few months.

I can just see some guy looking at you thinking 'hey, check her out...cute smile!' and then looking down at your SAS shoes and then saying 'I dunno anymore...these shoes...they are such a turn off to me...oh, man, forget her! I will go for the mean-looking lady in the high spike heels! Those are such FINE lookin' shoes!' ;)

Carole C in NOLA on 3/10/02 at 07:51 (076102)

LOL! Matahmelissama, you do have a point, and you cheer me up. :)

The guy I had been going with for a year and a half dumped me right before Christmas, right when I first started wearing them. He said he didn't have time for women but that we are still friends. I found out yesterday that he was lying about that part too.

Probably my shoes didn't have anything to do with him dumping me. You are right, it doesn't make sense for it to be the shoes, after all that time together. The fact that I couldn't do much of anything and was whining all the time probably was more important, or maybe it was something else I haven't thought of.

Carole C