Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

4 weeks post ESWT

Posted by Monte on 3/06/02 at 08:03 (075808)

Hi all...It is 4 weeks since Dr Z treated both of my feet. It is hard for me to make an accurate determination of whether it feels better or not because I have diffused arch pain too. There are days when the heels felt better and then they act up because I may favor the arches and walk differently for a day. I ice my feet at night after working all day. I sit at a desk all day so work does not hinder my healing. I need to give it more time and be patient (which I am). I try not to update everyone every day since the results can take 8 or more weeks. I want to thank everyone for their support and Dr Z for his care.

Re: 4 weeks post ESWT

john h on 3/06/02 at 08:55 (075813)

Also consider this Monte that some of Dr.Z's patients as other patients at other clincs may need additional treatments. Dr. Z recently mentioned one lady who had zero results from her first treatment. He did a second treatment and I think also gave her a shot of cortisone and apparently she improved nearly 100%. Most of the literature I read say you typically expect maximum benefit at around the 12 week point but as they say mileage may vary depending on your driving habits.

Monte on 3/06/02 at 08:59 (075814)

John..thanks. I heard about the cortizone chaser. If that works...I would subject myself to it. I never had one in the 14 months of batlling this monster. How have you been. I want to thank you keeping me grounded a few weeks ago. I get fustrated at times.

john h on 3/06/02 at 13:22 (075837)

Monte: After readings Alan's post about how they follow the ESWT with a shot in some hard core cases I also want to give this a go if Dr. Z is willing. It seems a common practice in Australia when after several treatments you do not get the desired results. I hope to see Dr. Z in the next few months if he will see me. Alan gave a very good explanation of why this might work following ESWT and made good sense to me. Dr. Z mentioned one case of a lady from NY I think who he administered a shot to after ESWT and she got outstanding results. Ok Pauline do not jump all over me because I have no scientific evidence and as you know I am a risk taker. We need some risk takers you know to advance the cause of medicine. Someone has to be first and I do not mind. So in the interest of science and my (hopefully) well being get that needle ready Dr. Z and make sure it is sharp and small.

Re: To John 4 weeks post ESWT

Pauline on 3/06/02 at 17:25 (075857)

John,
Everyone is different. I don't take risks with my health, whether it be my feet or my head. All of it is very important to me. When you say your a risk taker, I think you qualify the kind of 'risk' you are willing to take and if you were talking about shooting at an eye or a portion of your brain you might not jump at the opportunity so fast.

Your a good man John, but your not having the world's first heart transplant either. I call that taking a risk and your right someone did take it, but in his case he could have died either way. I don't think your that far along yet as a risk taker.

I didn't jump, just a tippy toe John. Have a good night.

John h on 3/06/02 at 18:43 (075867)

Pauline: I was recently reading an article about risk takers. It seems there is some evidence that some people have a particular gene which predisposes them to doin crazy things like rock climbing, bungee jumping off of bridges, test pilots, volunteer special forces guys and girls. As a teenager I three tremendos crashes on motor bikes an cycles going in excess of 70mph and somehow was barely scratched. My choice in the military was to be a pilot or a submariner if I could not fly. I was not sent to Vietnam I was a voluntee two times. I had a 4 hour surgery on my neck which some people may not have risked but it cured me. I suspect some of us are just wired funny.

dave on 3/07/02 at 13:52 (075907)

I will be having the procedure done by doctor z on the 29th of this month. I am totally pumped.Risk taker? I wonder what my genes look like

LaurieL on 3/10/02 at 18:28 (076131)

I had the first ESWT treatment to both of my feet on January 10th of tis year after over a year of unsuccessful other treatments. The shot of cortisone as a chaser seems interesting. My Dr is recommending the second treatment at 12 weeks. So far the ESWT has not seemed to improve my pain. I am on a scooter at work or have uncontrolled pain. I recently have developed a burning sensation in the feet. Do you have any of that? Good luck on your procedure. I had mine done in Plano, Tx.

john h on 3/06/02 at 08:55 (075813)

Also consider this Monte that some of Dr.Z's patients as other patients at other clincs may need additional treatments. Dr. Z recently mentioned one lady who had zero results from her first treatment. He did a second treatment and I think also gave her a shot of cortisone and apparently she improved nearly 100%. Most of the literature I read say you typically expect maximum benefit at around the 12 week point but as they say mileage may vary depending on your driving habits.

Monte on 3/06/02 at 08:59 (075814)

John..thanks. I heard about the cortizone chaser. If that works...I would subject myself to it. I never had one in the 14 months of batlling this monster. How have you been. I want to thank you keeping me grounded a few weeks ago. I get fustrated at times.

john h on 3/06/02 at 13:22 (075837)

Monte: After readings Alan's post about how they follow the ESWT with a shot in some hard core cases I also want to give this a go if Dr. Z is willing. It seems a common practice in Australia when after several treatments you do not get the desired results. I hope to see Dr. Z in the next few months if he will see me. Alan gave a very good explanation of why this might work following ESWT and made good sense to me. Dr. Z mentioned one case of a lady from NY I think who he administered a shot to after ESWT and she got outstanding results. Ok Pauline do not jump all over me because I have no scientific evidence and as you know I am a risk taker. We need some risk takers you know to advance the cause of medicine. Someone has to be first and I do not mind. So in the interest of science and my (hopefully) well being get that needle ready Dr. Z and make sure it is sharp and small.

Pauline on 3/06/02 at 17:25 (075857)

John,
Everyone is different. I don't take risks with my health, whether it be my feet or my head. All of it is very important to me. When you say your a risk taker, I think you qualify the kind of 'risk' you are willing to take and if you were talking about shooting at an eye or a portion of your brain you might not jump at the opportunity so fast.

Your a good man John, but your not having the world's first heart transplant either. I call that taking a risk and your right someone did take it, but in his case he could have died either way. I don't think your that far along yet as a risk taker.

I didn't jump, just a tippy toe John. Have a good night.

John h on 3/06/02 at 18:43 (075867)

Pauline: I was recently reading an article about risk takers. It seems there is some evidence that some people have a particular gene which predisposes them to doin crazy things like rock climbing, bungee jumping off of bridges, test pilots, volunteer special forces guys and girls. As a teenager I three tremendos crashes on motor bikes an cycles going in excess of 70mph and somehow was barely scratched. My choice in the military was to be a pilot or a submariner if I could not fly. I was not sent to Vietnam I was a voluntee two times. I had a 4 hour surgery on my neck which some people may not have risked but it cured me. I suspect some of us are just wired funny.

dave on 3/07/02 at 13:52 (075907)

I will be having the procedure done by doctor z on the 29th of this month. I am totally pumped.Risk taker? I wonder what my genes look like

LaurieL on 3/10/02 at 18:28 (076131)

I had the first ESWT treatment to both of my feet on January 10th of tis year after over a year of unsuccessful other treatments. The shot of cortisone as a chaser seems interesting. My Dr is recommending the second treatment at 12 weeks. So far the ESWT has not seemed to improve my pain. I am on a scooter at work or have uncontrolled pain. I recently have developed a burning sensation in the feet. Do you have any of that? Good luck on your procedure. I had mine done in Plano, Tx.