Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

1 month post op today

Posted by Pam B on 3/06/02 at 10:02 (075823)

Hey everyone, visited my pod last nite for check up...I am now allowed to start some weight bearing woohoo :) he tended to the incision and cleaned it up as it was very dry and did not heal closed so had alot of rough stuff which I am sure is normal...he used something that looks like a dremel tool :) there is still what looks like scabbing beneath the incision and he told me that is scar tissue......he said it healed very nicely...I also was given a CAM Boot (the long one) and told to wear it when I am up walking anywhere outside my home, if I choose not to wear the CAM Boot then I need to use the crutches...my heel is still very sore and there is alot of pain on the outside of my foot and ankle which is also where most of the swelling is...I told him when I walk, it feels like I have a sprained ankle which is the tendonitis waving its ugly head which is the reason for the CAM boot...I asked about the pain and he told me that when you have surgery for this and you have a cast or with your crutches in a non weightbearing state, your foot feels less painful...when the cast is removed or you are beginning the weightbearing stage, your pain level increases and at that point it takes the next 4-8 weeks to gradually begin to feel normal again...he told me in the beginning that the average patient, not all but most will respond to surgery with good results within three months but again reminded me that it can take up to a year...I asked him if he thought my pain level was normal and he said for as crappy as my foot was and as long as I have been in severe pain he thinks I am where I should be and that I need to stop rushing things...:) I am not a sitter and since I have been doing that the better part of 5 months I am going a bit stir crazy :) IMAGINE THAT :)plus my car is missing me but I still cannot drive.....he said he would not advise driving for the sake of the other people out there...he stated that it is not the driving but instead his concern for my inability to brake hard in the case of an emergency not to mention that it is illegal to drive with the CAM Boot...so as far as I can tell, I am going to make it, but I am going to make it within the confines of my home without a chauffer :)I go back in three weeks for a recheck...

I cant lie, I do still have a great deal of pain at times but I would describe it as totally different than prior to surgery...even though it hurts it is not that burning pain or shooting pains I was having before...this is more of a severe discomfort level...tolerable but I will be glad when it is gone......as the doc put it I will be gimping when I walk for a while to come but he is confident that I am responding as he had hoped......

One last thing, I have to comment on that CAM Boot...but it releives the pain and enables me to stand without as much discomfort...but man,when I take that thing off,the calf of my leg my knee and achilles tendon are screaming at me for a little while...I guess from what Laurie told me,it will take getting used to at first but will get better...Gosh, I surely hope so :)

Re: Woops, forgot something

Pam B on 3/06/02 at 10:12 (075824)

Thank you for all the support I have been recieving during my recovery period not to mention the welcoming of many new friends, I wish I could mention each of you but you will get tired of reading.....it helps to know you are all out there hearing me whine :) I know I am not there yet but I know that with the support of you guys and the suggestions from the docs, I will make it and I am hopefully going to be one of the success stories :)

A very special thanks to Laurie R.....she has been like my guardian angel/MOM during all of this.....she has emailed me morning,noon and nite for weeks making sure my spirits were up and urging me to vent my frustrations.....Laurie, thank you...my friend,you are so much stronger than you think you are.....some of us here would be lost without your compassion and caring ways.....I am sure I am not alone in that thought :)

Thanks again to all of you :)

Re: 1 month post op today

Rebecca C. on 3/06/02 at 12:04 (075831)

Hi Pam, I had a post surgery doctor's appt. yesterday, too. I'm just a few week ahead of you. My open PF/heelspur surgery was on Jan. 15. I'm wearing regular shoes part of the day until I can't stand it any longer and then I put the boot on. I, too, have not been painfree through this post surgical period, but it is different than before. The most tender spot at the insertion point is not painful at all, actually kind of numb. The was some sort of nerve in there involved with the heel spur that my pod believes was the main source of my on-going pain which he sacrificed. He gave me a cortisone injection yesterday to help get me through this phase of healing. Don't get me wrong, I am MUCH improved from where I was three weeks ago. I'm riding my bike and swimming now, its so great to get out of the house! I'm working hard trying to build back up my shrunken right calf muscle! Are you going to do any physical therapy? I asked about that yesterday and he thought it might be beneficial so he ordered it for me. I already do alot of stretching and range of motion exercises that he recommended, but I want to make sure to do everything I can to heal properly and hopefully quickly. It great that Laurie R has been emailing you giving you support. It has been a pretty lonely process for me. Nothing could have prepared me for the emotional aspect of all of this. I don't think I've cried as often since my mother died ten years ago...

Pam B on 3/06/02 at 12:56 (075835)

Hi Rebecca, hey why dont you give me your email address so we can keep in touch.....it is (email removed)......I know just how you feel.....it is very lonely when you have no support system that truly understands what you are going through.....hey, I am willing to swap whining if you are :):):) I dont know what I would have done if it had not been for this board that I got lucky enough to stumble across.....these really are great people here.....I am glad to hear your recovery is going well and even more to the point I am glad to hear that someone else feels sorta like I do......

I put my shoe on this morning and wore it for about two hours but that was all I could take and now I have the boot on.....I may have been up a little too much for the first time but you know how it goes.....it dont hurt till you sit down and then bam, pain has struck......the boot is a blessing there though.....it forces my achilles tendon to stretch out and it feels so much better in the stretched position.....I asked my pod about PT but he said it is still to early for me.....he said each person is different and that I need to think slower :) but I think it will be the next time I go I hope......

Well, listen, by all means please email me.....I love meeting new people and making new friends.....so I hope to hear from you soon......Pam

BrianG on 3/06/02 at 14:42 (075843)

Hi Pam,

Sorry about all the pain, but good to hear you are feeling better as time goes on. I wanted to let you know what I've found from wearing the boot, while driving. In some cars, there is not enough room to put the boot on the excellerator, because it hits on the brake pedal (right foot). When I got my boot, I had a standard shift, and had to drive. I made sure I got a boot that was narrow enough to use the excellerator. I drove for almost a year, with the boot, with no problems.

Before I got my boot, I was in a parking lot accident, at work. Someone pulled out of his space in a big hurry, never looked, and took out the side of the car I was driving. While exchanging papers, he sat in his car. I looked in and saw he was wearing a boot, and it was a large one, went all the way to his knee. We called the police, as the damage was over $1,000. As the patrol car pulled up, I went and spoke to the officer. I told her the other driver, still sitting in his car, was wearing the boot. When her investigation was done, she called a wrecker for his car, as it was not drivable.

Before the officer left, she told me she had cited the other driver, and that my record would remain clear. I asked her what his charges were. She told me it was failure to use due care. She said it had nothing to do with his boot, that it was caused by his carelessness. She told me it was not illegle to drive with the boot, if it did not interfere with the vehicles operation.

Just wanted to pass this on to you. If you do feel like you can drive, and want to, why not call your local PD and ask them. I'm not sure your Pod gave you accurate information, but in your state the laws may be different than mine, in Ma. Good luck

BrianG

Julie on 3/07/02 at 15:07 (075913)

I'm kind of suprized your Dr. is going so slow. I'm not saying to rush things, but I'm now 10 weeks post op and I'm wearing my normal shoes, riding my horses again and doing my normal chores. I was taken out of the CAM boot fast and I had a post op shoe. That was nice, looked goofy but nice. Luckily mine was the left foot so driving was fine for me. I guess I am very tickled with the way my Dr. has handled getting me from point A to B. That scar tissue has to be broken down or you will hurt more. I still have mild pain in the morning, but am doing realatively well. I guess my point is, and your Dr. would kill me for saying this....Let pain be your guide, don't do more than you can, but don't baby it either.

Pam B on 3/07/02 at 15:53 (075915)

Each doc is different and I guess I have a conservative one.....I will listen to him as I feel he knows the history and knows where I should be at this point in time considering I have other issues with the foot besides my heel.....when I put that boot on, I honestly need it to deal with the swelling and ankle pain.....but I feel as though I am doing ok, it is just taking my old body a little longer to respond :)I figure it took eight years to get to where it was and it will not go away overnite.....thanks for the input :)

Re: Woops, forgot something

Pam B on 3/06/02 at 10:12 (075824)

Thank you for all the support I have been recieving during my recovery period not to mention the welcoming of many new friends, I wish I could mention each of you but you will get tired of reading.....it helps to know you are all out there hearing me whine :) I know I am not there yet but I know that with the support of you guys and the suggestions from the docs, I will make it and I am hopefully going to be one of the success stories :)

A very special thanks to Laurie R.....she has been like my guardian angel/MOM during all of this.....she has emailed me morning,noon and nite for weeks making sure my spirits were up and urging me to vent my frustrations.....Laurie, thank you...my friend,you are so much stronger than you think you are.....some of us here would be lost without your compassion and caring ways.....I am sure I am not alone in that thought :)

Thanks again to all of you :)

Rebecca C. on 3/06/02 at 12:04 (075831)

Hi Pam, I had a post surgery doctor's appt. yesterday, too. I'm just a few week ahead of you. My open PF/heelspur surgery was on Jan. 15. I'm wearing regular shoes part of the day until I can't stand it any longer and then I put the boot on. I, too, have not been painfree through this post surgical period, but it is different than before. The most tender spot at the insertion point is not painful at all, actually kind of numb. The was some sort of nerve in there involved with the heel spur that my pod believes was the main source of my on-going pain which he sacrificed. He gave me a cortisone injection yesterday to help get me through this phase of healing. Don't get me wrong, I am MUCH improved from where I was three weeks ago. I'm riding my bike and swimming now, its so great to get out of the house! I'm working hard trying to build back up my shrunken right calf muscle! Are you going to do any physical therapy? I asked about that yesterday and he thought it might be beneficial so he ordered it for me. I already do alot of stretching and range of motion exercises that he recommended, but I want to make sure to do everything I can to heal properly and hopefully quickly. It great that Laurie R has been emailing you giving you support. It has been a pretty lonely process for me. Nothing could have prepared me for the emotional aspect of all of this. I don't think I've cried as often since my mother died ten years ago...

Pam B on 3/06/02 at 12:56 (075835)

Hi Rebecca, hey why dont you give me your email address so we can keep in touch.....it is (email removed)......I know just how you feel.....it is very lonely when you have no support system that truly understands what you are going through.....hey, I am willing to swap whining if you are :):):) I dont know what I would have done if it had not been for this board that I got lucky enough to stumble across.....these really are great people here.....I am glad to hear your recovery is going well and even more to the point I am glad to hear that someone else feels sorta like I do......

I put my shoe on this morning and wore it for about two hours but that was all I could take and now I have the boot on.....I may have been up a little too much for the first time but you know how it goes.....it dont hurt till you sit down and then bam, pain has struck......the boot is a blessing there though.....it forces my achilles tendon to stretch out and it feels so much better in the stretched position.....I asked my pod about PT but he said it is still to early for me.....he said each person is different and that I need to think slower :) but I think it will be the next time I go I hope......

Well, listen, by all means please email me.....I love meeting new people and making new friends.....so I hope to hear from you soon......Pam

BrianG on 3/06/02 at 14:42 (075843)

Hi Pam,

Sorry about all the pain, but good to hear you are feeling better as time goes on. I wanted to let you know what I've found from wearing the boot, while driving. In some cars, there is not enough room to put the boot on the excellerator, because it hits on the brake pedal (right foot). When I got my boot, I had a standard shift, and had to drive. I made sure I got a boot that was narrow enough to use the excellerator. I drove for almost a year, with the boot, with no problems.

Before I got my boot, I was in a parking lot accident, at work. Someone pulled out of his space in a big hurry, never looked, and took out the side of the car I was driving. While exchanging papers, he sat in his car. I looked in and saw he was wearing a boot, and it was a large one, went all the way to his knee. We called the police, as the damage was over $1,000. As the patrol car pulled up, I went and spoke to the officer. I told her the other driver, still sitting in his car, was wearing the boot. When her investigation was done, she called a wrecker for his car, as it was not drivable.

Before the officer left, she told me she had cited the other driver, and that my record would remain clear. I asked her what his charges were. She told me it was failure to use due care. She said it had nothing to do with his boot, that it was caused by his carelessness. She told me it was not illegle to drive with the boot, if it did not interfere with the vehicles operation.

Just wanted to pass this on to you. If you do feel like you can drive, and want to, why not call your local PD and ask them. I'm not sure your Pod gave you accurate information, but in your state the laws may be different than mine, in Ma. Good luck

BrianG

Julie on 3/07/02 at 15:07 (075913)

I'm kind of suprized your Dr. is going so slow. I'm not saying to rush things, but I'm now 10 weeks post op and I'm wearing my normal shoes, riding my horses again and doing my normal chores. I was taken out of the CAM boot fast and I had a post op shoe. That was nice, looked goofy but nice. Luckily mine was the left foot so driving was fine for me. I guess I am very tickled with the way my Dr. has handled getting me from point A to B. That scar tissue has to be broken down or you will hurt more. I still have mild pain in the morning, but am doing realatively well. I guess my point is, and your Dr. would kill me for saying this....Let pain be your guide, don't do more than you can, but don't baby it either.

Pam B on 3/07/02 at 15:53 (075915)

Each doc is different and I guess I have a conservative one.....I will listen to him as I feel he knows the history and knows where I should be at this point in time considering I have other issues with the foot besides my heel.....when I put that boot on, I honestly need it to deal with the swelling and ankle pain.....but I feel as though I am doing ok, it is just taking my old body a little longer to respond :)I figure it took eight years to get to where it was and it will not go away overnite.....thanks for the input :)