Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Boots or shoes?

Posted by Sandy H. on 3/07/02 at 21:35 (075930)

I have heard conflicting theories on boots or shoes. 1) Boots give you more ankle support and hold your foot in place 2) Boots restrict the motion of your foot making it stiffer and so less able to function as it should. What do people think? I only found boots more supportive when I was wearing orthotics that tipped my foot over but since stopping wearing those I feel more comfortable without.

Re: Boots or shoes?

Carole C in NOLA on 3/07/02 at 22:26 (075934)

Interesting topic, Sandy!

My custom orthotics are just right for my feet. I know that not everyone gets good ones, but I did. One of the things that I learned to like about them, is that my feet are really well balanced rather than tippy. Not that they were a problem before, but I feel nicely aligned now. (Similar to the way my back feels when I go to a chiropractor; nice and straight and lined up).

So, I don't feel a need for ankle support, really. My ankles are strong and don't bother me. Actually, my knee problems have diminished a lot since I got my custom orthotics, too, though I do not know if there is any causal relationship there. So, I don't need boots to compensate for tippy orthotics.

No matter what footgear I wear, I do feel a need for lots of protection and stability around the back of my heel, where the achilles tendon is. A boot would sure have a lot of that!

(A disclaimer here is that I know nothing about feet, except for my own from my own experiences.) My philosophy is that during the early phases of treatment, the footwear should restrict motion more during walking, although non weightbearing stretching and careful motion needs to be done too so that flexibility is not lost. Also the footwear should protect a huge amount while healing begins, but as one heals it is advantageous to very very slowly and gradually start letting things function more and more as they should. At least, that is what my feet are telling me. I'm an oceanographer, not a foot expert, so if you follow my advice you get what you pay for. LOL But anyway, that philosophy makes sense to me.

I would be pretty concerned about the stresses on the tendons and PF while removing the boot, if some force must be applied to remove it. (I'm thinking of my ex's work boots, which he often requested my help to get out of, though some boots are easier to get off). I would not even want to remove athletic shoes from my feet more than 3-4 times in one day (and didn't, even when I was shopping for them). Even with the laces loosened, one could re-injure one's PF slightly in that way.

Carole C

Re: Putting on and taking off shoes/boots

Sandy H. on 3/08/02 at 19:33 (075988)

You make a good point there. The number of times I've forgotten to be careful when taking off or putting on shoes or boots and 'ouch.'

Re: Also... other tricky little pitfalls I hadn't read about

Carole C in NOLA on 3/08/02 at 20:38 (075991)

Another thing that 'tricked' me until I noticed that it was a problem, was pushing off with my foot, especially early in the morning.

An example would be when scooting towards the edge of my queen-sized bed while barefoot. Even though my bare feet were not touching the ground, it was re-injuring them.

Another pitfall was swiveling on my shower stool by pushing off with my feet.

One that I'm not sure about yet, is reaching for the large can of coffee on the top shelf of my cupboard. That requires standing on tip-toes. I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing to do, yet. I only do it once a day, at about 5:32 AM.

Carole C

Re: Boots or shoes?

Carole C in NOLA on 3/07/02 at 22:26 (075934)

Interesting topic, Sandy!

My custom orthotics are just right for my feet. I know that not everyone gets good ones, but I did. One of the things that I learned to like about them, is that my feet are really well balanced rather than tippy. Not that they were a problem before, but I feel nicely aligned now. (Similar to the way my back feels when I go to a chiropractor; nice and straight and lined up).

So, I don't feel a need for ankle support, really. My ankles are strong and don't bother me. Actually, my knee problems have diminished a lot since I got my custom orthotics, too, though I do not know if there is any causal relationship there. So, I don't need boots to compensate for tippy orthotics.

No matter what footgear I wear, I do feel a need for lots of protection and stability around the back of my heel, where the achilles tendon is. A boot would sure have a lot of that!

(A disclaimer here is that I know nothing about feet, except for my own from my own experiences.) My philosophy is that during the early phases of treatment, the footwear should restrict motion more during walking, although non weightbearing stretching and careful motion needs to be done too so that flexibility is not lost. Also the footwear should protect a huge amount while healing begins, but as one heals it is advantageous to very very slowly and gradually start letting things function more and more as they should. At least, that is what my feet are telling me. I'm an oceanographer, not a foot expert, so if you follow my advice you get what you pay for. LOL But anyway, that philosophy makes sense to me.

I would be pretty concerned about the stresses on the tendons and PF while removing the boot, if some force must be applied to remove it. (I'm thinking of my ex's work boots, which he often requested my help to get out of, though some boots are easier to get off). I would not even want to remove athletic shoes from my feet more than 3-4 times in one day (and didn't, even when I was shopping for them). Even with the laces loosened, one could re-injure one's PF slightly in that way.

Carole C

Re: Putting on and taking off shoes/boots

Sandy H. on 3/08/02 at 19:33 (075988)

You make a good point there. The number of times I've forgotten to be careful when taking off or putting on shoes or boots and 'ouch.'

Re: Also... other tricky little pitfalls I hadn't read about

Carole C in NOLA on 3/08/02 at 20:38 (075991)

Another thing that 'tricked' me until I noticed that it was a problem, was pushing off with my foot, especially early in the morning.

An example would be when scooting towards the edge of my queen-sized bed while barefoot. Even though my bare feet were not touching the ground, it was re-injuring them.

Another pitfall was swiveling on my shower stool by pushing off with my feet.

One that I'm not sure about yet, is reaching for the large can of coffee on the top shelf of my cupboard. That requires standing on tip-toes. I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing to do, yet. I only do it once a day, at about 5:32 AM.

Carole C