Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS AND THERAPY

Posted by bill on 3/08/02 at 17:06 (075978)

ok can anyone tell me if this pain ever goes away!! i am about ready to give up! had tts on my left foot in nov. been doing therapy ever since. got better from the surgery[flexability is good] but i am still taking pain killers late afternoon and evening because the pain i had the surgery for has come back even worse!! can anyone help!!! i am losin it!!! BILL

Re: TTS AND THERAPY

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/08/02 at 20:49 (075994)

Consider use of a TENs unit as it can be effective in blocking pain and decreasing the need for pain medications.
Ed

bill on 3/08/02 at 23:33 (076007)

thanks doc i just got one [tens unit] today and it helps when i am not on my feet but not when i am!!! could you tell me what percent of tts surgerys end in a person who works on concrete and steel up to 30 feet off the ground 8 to 10 hours a day going back to work full or light duty? im going nuts sitting at home but can not see myself working again soon!!!so are my odds good or bad? thanks Bill [it helps just to talk to someone who knows what im going through]

Mike on 3/09/02 at 09:20 (076024)

Bill,
It will be extremely tough going back to work after tts surgery. Maybe light duty after the first week but I would count on two weeks. My wife had surgery on Feb 25th. She is just now able to put a little weight on her foot. She says that it is still worth all the hassle.

good luck.

Mike

Re: interesting finding

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/09/02 at 16:03 (076053)

The TENs should help as much when you are on or off your feet unless there is a biomechanical factor such as overpronation making weight bearing more problematic. What orthotics or shoegear has been recommended?

It sounds like balance is a critical factor in your job. Surgery to stop or decrease TTS pain may not relieve numbness. You cannot afford to have numbness in your feet in your occupation. Consider the surgery if you are in a lot of pain. Looking at the situation realistically, you should consider job retraining--not a definite but we need to consider that the odds of having adequate foot function to perform your job not to be favorable.
Ed

bill on 3/12/02 at 13:57 (076270)

i have a heel cup for both feet. but that seems to make that rock in my shoe feeling worse.also i already had the surgery and seem to have recovered from it but the pain is still with me[numbness too]!

Wanda T. on 3/26/02 at 12:45 (077606)

I had surgery on one foot for TTS in Dec. and the other foot done in Feb. I go to the doctor tomorrow and I am afraid he will send me back to work. I still feel alot of pain when I am on my feet very long. I am a custodian at a school and it is walking on concrete for 8 hours a day doing alot of physical work. My feet get really numb yet and I am afraid the surgery did not work. I have not tried any cushion in my shoe yet to see if that works but my feet swell when I am on them too long.

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/08/02 at 20:49 (075994)

Consider use of a TENs unit as it can be effective in blocking pain and decreasing the need for pain medications.
Ed

bill on 3/08/02 at 23:33 (076007)

thanks doc i just got one [tens unit] today and it helps when i am not on my feet but not when i am!!! could you tell me what percent of tts surgerys end in a person who works on concrete and steel up to 30 feet off the ground 8 to 10 hours a day going back to work full or light duty? im going nuts sitting at home but can not see myself working again soon!!!so are my odds good or bad? thanks Bill [it helps just to talk to someone who knows what im going through]

Mike on 3/09/02 at 09:20 (076024)

Bill,
It will be extremely tough going back to work after tts surgery. Maybe light duty after the first week but I would count on two weeks. My wife had surgery on Feb 25th. She is just now able to put a little weight on her foot. She says that it is still worth all the hassle.

good luck.

Mike

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/09/02 at 16:03 (076053)

The TENs should help as much when you are on or off your feet unless there is a biomechanical factor such as overpronation making weight bearing more problematic. What orthotics or shoegear has been recommended?

It sounds like balance is a critical factor in your job. Surgery to stop or decrease TTS pain may not relieve numbness. You cannot afford to have numbness in your feet in your occupation. Consider the surgery if you are in a lot of pain. Looking at the situation realistically, you should consider job retraining--not a definite but we need to consider that the odds of having adequate foot function to perform your job not to be favorable.
Ed

bill on 3/12/02 at 13:57 (076270)

i have a heel cup for both feet. but that seems to make that rock in my shoe feeling worse.also i already had the surgery and seem to have recovered from it but the pain is still with me[numbness too]!

Wanda T. on 3/26/02 at 12:45 (077606)

I had surgery on one foot for TTS in Dec. and the other foot done in Feb. I go to the doctor tomorrow and I am afraid he will send me back to work. I still feel alot of pain when I am on my feet very long. I am a custodian at a school and it is walking on concrete for 8 hours a day doing alot of physical work. My feet get really numb yet and I am afraid the surgery did not work. I have not tried any cushion in my shoe yet to see if that works but my feet swell when I am on them too long.