Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Jade Balm

Posted by Sally C on 3/09/02 at 12:20 (076037)

Hi everyone,
What a terrific site and such helpful participants.
I have just discovered this site and am still not really up with all the technical terms.
I believe I have been suffering briefly, in comparison to some, with PF.
The initial response by my doctor was steroid injections. I am a wuss and wouldn't go for it. So I have been suffering silently for 6 months.
After reading the message boards I see I should have been wearing shoes constantly. Being summer here in Western Australia, I thought going au natural would have been the best thing for my feet, but I see it wasn't.
So my questions are;
Should I constantly be wearing closed in types of shoes?

The search reults for Jade 168 only go up to July 2001. What was the final conclusion from participants on this board?

With the testimonials of some subscribers is ESWT the first choice of treatments?

Thanking you in anticipation of your help.
Sally

Re: Jade Balm

Carole C in NOLA on 3/09/02 at 13:44 (076040)

Sally, welcome and I hope you find some helpful ideas here. It's best to never go barefoot, but that doesn't mean you have to wear closed in types of shoes. In fact, the most helpful shoe for many on this board is a Birkenstock sandal with an orthotic footbed such as the Birkenstock 'Arizona'!

Some people found the Jade Balm to be helpful, and still use it. I have never tried it, though. Did you know it's made in Australia? :)

Before you even think of ESWT, take some time and read the heel pain book which is on this site (it's free and you can read it online). It has a lot of helpful suggestions. Have you tried anything else to help your feet? Some things that have helped me are gentle stretching in the morning before getting out of bed, and several other times during the day. My custom orthotics have been wonderful. Nearly constant rest has helped a lot too. If I overdo, and my foot feels inflamed and swollen, I ice it by resting it on a bag of frozen peas. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

If you've tried all these conservative treatments for six months or a year, it might be time for ESWT. Personally, from what I've read I would not even consider surgery unless I had exhausted every other possibility (including multiple ESWT treatments). Luckily, my feet are essentially healed just from the conservative treatments I mentioned (orthotics, stretching, rest, and so on). It has been six months since I first got PF.

Carole C

Carole C

Carole C

Re: Allan let Sally know where in Australia you are

John h on 3/09/02 at 16:02 (076052)

Sally: I will say how lucky you are to be in Australia if you decide on ESWT. You can get a treatment there for around $50 per treatment with the Dornier machine. In our country we could spend $3000-$5000 for this treatment. Allan from Australia does these treatments and post every once in while. Do a search under Alan until you find him or post a message for him to give you his address. He is most knowledgable about this subject and you guys may be ver close. If you read this Allan let Sally know where your are.

Suzanne D on 3/09/02 at 21:15 (076085)

Hi, Sally! I'm sorry you've been suffering for 6 months. I know it's no fun! Did your doctor prescribe any medicine for inflammation? That can be helpful in the healing process.

Carole is right about the Birkenstocks. If you click on that word here, it will take you to the German website where you can read more about the shoes. It would be good, if you are interested, to try to find a store that sells them, if possible, and try them on before you buy any.

If I could get an ESWT as John said for $50, I would certainly get one as soon as possible! I have read many good results from that. It is just so expensive here in the US, and not covered by insurance generally.

Best wishes to you for healing and recovery!

Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 3/09/02 at 13:44 (076040)

Sally, welcome and I hope you find some helpful ideas here. It's best to never go barefoot, but that doesn't mean you have to wear closed in types of shoes. In fact, the most helpful shoe for many on this board is a Birkenstock sandal with an orthotic footbed such as the Birkenstock 'Arizona'!

Some people found the Jade Balm to be helpful, and still use it. I have never tried it, though. Did you know it's made in Australia? :)

Before you even think of ESWT, take some time and read the heel pain book which is on this site (it's free and you can read it online). It has a lot of helpful suggestions. Have you tried anything else to help your feet? Some things that have helped me are gentle stretching in the morning before getting out of bed, and several other times during the day. My custom orthotics have been wonderful. Nearly constant rest has helped a lot too. If I overdo, and my foot feels inflamed and swollen, I ice it by resting it on a bag of frozen peas. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

If you've tried all these conservative treatments for six months or a year, it might be time for ESWT. Personally, from what I've read I would not even consider surgery unless I had exhausted every other possibility (including multiple ESWT treatments). Luckily, my feet are essentially healed just from the conservative treatments I mentioned (orthotics, stretching, rest, and so on). It has been six months since I first got PF.

Carole C

Carole C

Carole C

Re: Allan let Sally know where in Australia you are

John h on 3/09/02 at 16:02 (076052)

Sally: I will say how lucky you are to be in Australia if you decide on ESWT. You can get a treatment there for around $50 per treatment with the Dornier machine. In our country we could spend $3000-$5000 for this treatment. Allan from Australia does these treatments and post every once in while. Do a search under Alan until you find him or post a message for him to give you his address. He is most knowledgable about this subject and you guys may be ver close. If you read this Allan let Sally know where your are.

Suzanne D on 3/09/02 at 21:15 (076085)

Hi, Sally! I'm sorry you've been suffering for 6 months. I know it's no fun! Did your doctor prescribe any medicine for inflammation? That can be helpful in the healing process.

Carole is right about the Birkenstocks. If you click on that word here, it will take you to the German website where you can read more about the shoes. It would be good, if you are interested, to try to find a store that sells them, if possible, and try them on before you buy any.

If I could get an ESWT as John said for $50, I would certainly get one as soon as possible! I have read many good results from that. It is just so expensive here in the US, and not covered by insurance generally.

Best wishes to you for healing and recovery!

Suzanne :-)