Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I guess I just need you all to listen if you don't mind...

Posted by Suzanne D on 3/09/02 at 18:22 (076067)

Hello, Friends!

The past 14 days have been filled with challenges and the closing of some chapters in my life.

I wrote earlier about a good friend who unexpectedly died two weeks ago. He was a great encourager to many people, and he is missed.

Then I attended my college daughter's last winter band concert this week. This time next year she will be doing her student teaching living at home and will not be in the band. We have attended her concerts for 9 years and enjoyed every one.

My future son-in-law's grandmother died, and we spent another evening at the funeral home this week.

Then this morning I went to another funeral home as my first principal died. He was the principal when I did my student teaching, substituted 2 years, and then for my first 8 years of teaching. He was a kind man with a lot of practical good sense, and I respected him. Many memories came to my mind as I drove home.

This afternoon I went with my daughter to choose and purchase her wedding dress. My goodness, she looked so lovely and grown-up! It was sort of like watching Cinderella blossom in her gown as the Fairy Godmother waved her magic wand. We even bought shoes (Carmen, they look like your wedding shoes in your picture on this board!)

Well, on the old Hee-Haw t.v. show they used to say, 'We're done playing now', so I will say, 'I'm done whining now!'

It felt good to tell you all about my two weeks. Thanks for being caring, sensitive friends! Somehow in the midst of these events, my feet started feeling really 'weird' in my Birks which I have worn exclusively for 7 months. How can shoes that felt so good and right start feeling like that? That sort of threw me, too. I did buy a pair of SAS walking shoes which my Birk inserts fit nicely in, and for now I am wearing those.

Oops! I said I was through whining! You all take care.

Suzanne :-)

Re: I guess I just need you all to listen if you don't mind...

Carole C in NOLA on 3/09/02 at 18:52 (076070)

Suzanne, what a difficult sequence of events! I'm so sorry that so many sad and stressful things have happened to you recently. And no, you are not whining! You have every right to feel sad and upset and maybe a little confused by so much going on at once. Any one of the things that happened would have been enough get many of us off balance, and you had to deal with them all.

When things get stressful, some of us find that our feet get worse and we cry a lot (which came first? the chicken or the egg? I don't know). For me, I think that my muscles tense up, and that strains my tendons and PF. Getting those new SAS shoes was a wonderful idea. It doesn't mean that your Birks won't work for you any more, but you needed a change and you went out and did something positive..... good for you!!!

Later, you may find that changing from your SAS to your Birks and back during the day is helpful. I have not been able to stay in any one shoe comfortably from dawn until bedtime since I got PF. I've done it, in my custom orthotics, but even they begin to cause me some dull aching pain by the end of the day. So usually I change to my Birkenstocks before and after work.

Your post has really done me some good. I have been depressed and tearful most of the day, but compared to your troubles I see that mine are so small and so you are cheering me up.

Also cheering me up is a bottle of Beringer White Zinfandel that I bought. I've had one glass, my first alcohol since the turn of the century a couple of years ago. If you have one glass of wine in over two years, it is actually plenty to remove all those inhibitions. Cheers! :)

Carole C

wendyn on 3/09/02 at 19:23 (076073)

I only seem to get about 6 good months out of Birks, then it almost feels as though I've broken them down enough that they seem to lose some support. I know Birks are supposed to last a long time - but it must be something that happpens, because I notice it every time.

Pam B on 3/09/02 at 20:03 (076076)

Hi Suzanne, its Pam, I know it has been a bad week for you and my thoughts and prayers are with you.....but try to remember the good in the week by always remembering the picture in your mind of your little Cinderella all dressed in white....sounds to me like that was the highlite of your week......she was your angel sent to pick you up and lift your spirits :)

nancy s. on 3/09/02 at 20:04 (076077)

suzanne, you do about the most non-whiny whining i've ever seen. if you need to whine harder, you know this is the place to do it. you have a lot happening in a short time, some of it very sad, and i'm sorry. it all sounds very difficult. be good to yourself during it.

it's true that tension and stress can change your foot needs, so just go with the flow and make what changes you need in order to feel more comfortable. they may not be permanent at all, once you've adjusted more to the emotional situations affecting you right now. i hope you (and carole) feel better very soon.

nancy

Suzanne D on 3/09/02 at 20:47 (076079)

Thank you, Carole. You always make me feel better! And I hope that you feel better soon, too!

I think I'll try changing shoes more often; perhaps that might help!

Suzanne D on 3/09/02 at 20:51 (076080)

Thank you, Wendy! I had been wondering just how long they would/should last. Perhaps that is part of the problem! I have been wearing either the Arizona or Boston pair every day to school - day in and day out. I guess I've worn them pretty hard.

Hope warmer temperatures come your way soon! Today has been rainy and extremely windy here; the kind of wind that turns your umbrella upside down! (In fact that happened to me three times today!) :-)

Suzanne D on 3/09/02 at 20:53 (076081)

Thank you, Nancy! Until you all reminded me, I had forgotten about the stress factor in changing our foot needs. Going with the flow sounds sensible. I've learned through the years to be flexible so as not to 'break', and so I guess that applies to dealing with foot challenges as well!

Hope you have a nice weekend, Nancy!

Suzanne D on 3/09/02 at 20:57 (076082)

Thank you, Pam! That's a sweet thought. I will keep that in mind. Ending these two weeks with buying my daughter's wedding dress IS a positive, even if I do miss the 'little girl' who once loved to play school in my classroom and watch Cinderella on t.v.! In a little over a year she will be preparing HER room for her first class. I am both proud and thankful at the same time.

Thanks for reminding me of that! :-)

John h on 3/09/02 at 21:42 (076088)

Wendy when you first get the birks (sandals anyway) the soles are very stiff. After some months they do lose their stiffness even though everything else appears normal. I have noticed that over 5 or 6 pairs of sandals I have gone thru. I also have the tell tell sign of the pronator with the rear outside sole wearing down rapidly.

wendyn on 3/09/02 at 22:52 (076091)

Me too John - the back outer edges

Clara on 3/10/02 at 03:56 (076097)

Hi Suzanne D!
I´m so sorry for you. All these funerals...! And the foot problems doesn´t make things easier. I think we all need eachothers support!
I have been totally 'crippled' (right word?) for the last month, of course I´m sad for that, but I´m happy for all friends I have, and my children, and my parents, and so on. We must learn to be happy for what we got at the moment. I heard somewhere that all we got is here and now. Nothing else. We don´t know anything about tomorrow...
Take care Suzanne, I´m thinking of you!
Lovely thoughts from Sweden to you from
//Clara

Re: .to Clara....

Suzanne D on 3/10/02 at 06:50 (076098)

Thank you, Clara! I am sorry that your foot pain is worse. (Yes, crippled is the right word!) When I go to the library in my school I think of you as I know you have told us that you work on hard floors in a library.

Thanks for thinking of me and for writing! You are correct: we DO need to be thankful for our blessings and not forget them in the midst of our troubles. Thanks for reminding me of that!

Best wishes to you,
Suzanne

Re: Same here...(eom)

Suzanne D on 3/10/02 at 06:51 (076099)

Carmen H on 3/10/02 at 10:24 (076107)

You tell your beautiful daughter to be careful in those shoes. ;-)
Not toooo much Dancin like Miss Carmen did!
I can't wait to see pictures. When's the big day?

Re: Suzanne, the angels here have heard,

Tammie on 3/10/02 at 10:40 (076109)

That you need a piece of wing. Bend down and allow us to help you thru the saddness and allow us to share your despair, so that we might lighten your burden and gently set you down. I can see that you have been carrying a huge load on your wings my friend, it is time that you let some of it go and lighten you wings.

I am so sorry to hear of all te saddness it hurts so very much to feel as tho we are loosing the people we love, but maybe the comforting thought might be that they have left us gifts of themselves in there momories. Something to share with others and carry on through our lives , maybe learning and intertwining some to our own lives. The people who you feel you have lost are angels now, and they are sharing there love with you and allowing you to shed tears and grieve and that my friend is when the healing takes place. The tears are a bit of glue to the fragments of your heart that you have shared with them and , that is a gift. You are a very loving woman and when it is your time to recieve your true wings , there will be many many hearts that will be recieving the tears of healing glue as you have touched so many hearts in such a loving way.

Thinking of what you write about your daughter shows the love that you share and the beauty and heart that you have shared with her to help her get to this very special place in life. You are truly blessed to expierance the gift of the little life that you helped bring into this world and nourished with love and kindness and which she will continue the gifts that you have given her. The ability to love and share and to know that the real beauty in life is the gift of sharing and passing on the gift of being able to love and nourish others. Please let the sun shine on in your life Suzanne as you are a really wonderful person with a heart that keeps on giving!

Re: to Carmen....

Suzanne D on 3/10/02 at 14:11 (076117)

Thanks, Carmen! Actually, the wedding is a year away - March of 2003. But you know how you have to begin getting everything taken care of! And, yes, that's what I thought when I saw her in those shoes! :-)

Unlike me, she is short and needed the high heels for the dress to be the right length. It was 'the dress' as soon as she tried it on and could not be shortened due to the lace at the bottom of the skirt. With the shoes, it is the perfect length.

I'll make sure and send a picture! :-)

Re: to Tammie...

Suzanne D on 3/10/02 at 14:13 (076118)

Thank you, Tammie. You are always so kind! :-) And you are right: sharing and loving is what life is all about.

How are you feeling these days?

Laurie R on 3/10/02 at 23:31 (076156)

Dear Suzanne , You sure have been through a lot on the past few weeks . My heart is with you . Sorry to hear your feet are feeling weird , my feet feel weird all the time .. I would not know what to do if they felt good. I think I would have a big party .....LOL Just know you are in my prayers and I am thinking about you ...... Laurie R

Kathy G on 3/11/02 at 09:39 (076164)

Suzanne,

So glad to have you back on the boards and I, too, am so sorry for all the sadness you've had to witness over the last couple of weeks. The old cliche that it never rains, but it pours, seems to be applicable! Hope things return to normal for you!

I'll look forward to seeing your posts in the future! Do you have a school vacation in April in Texas? I think that's where you are. I'm so bad at keeping these things straight! I know you're in the South and you say, 'You all'! Here in NH, we have an April vacation which is always a welcome break after the long winter. Not that we've had any winter to speak of this year. All the snow has been in the mid-west and down south. Our crocuses (crocii?) are out already and our plants are very confused due to the lack of cold and snow! It would be fine if we weren't facing a serious drought. They are already telling us to conserve water and that has never happened this early in the year before. It's the driest winter in the 130 years that they have been keeping records!

Re: to Laurie...

Suzanne D on 3/11/02 at 11:22 (076168)

Thank you, Laurie, for your thoughts and prayers. I am sorry to complain as I know you and others are in more ocnstant pain than I am. I do think of you often and wish there was something more I could do! When my feet hurt the worst I think of you and others and marvel at how you make it and keep such a good attitude!

Now that you've been for your second opinion, do you have any idea about your surgery date yet?

Take care, and thanks again!

Re: to Kathy...

Suzanne D on 3/11/02 at 11:38 (076169)

Thank you, Kathy! I'm in Kentucky, but you are right: I say 'you all' a lot! :-) I'd like to go to Texas someday. I always thought I'd like it there.

We do have a 2 week break coming up beginning the week of March 25! I wish it were next week as that is when my daughter is off from college. But at least I'll see her each day when I get home from school.

You are also right in that 'when it rains, it pours'. Last night we got a call telling us of the death of another friend. He and his wife were a great help to us when we first got out of college and settled into their church where my husband was minister. He was a big man - about 6'4' - with a heart as big as he was. He did many things for the church and always smiled when things were tough and said, 'Aw, it'll be alright!' That is what I remember most about him. He was a calming presence.

Well, thanks again, Kathy, for thinking of me!

I do have something to look forward to at the end of this week! I am going as one of the chaperones with my high school daughter's choir to Branson, Missouri! They will compete in a choral festival there, and we'll also get to see a couple of shows and eat on a dinner boat. You can tell we have not been far from home when I tell you this: my daughter came home telling me that on the dinner boat we were going to get to eat some dessert that was 'on fire'! (To this point, the only had things she's had to eat that were 'on fire' were things that her mama burned!) :-)

Kathy G on 3/11/02 at 14:31 (076183)

Kentucky - Texas. You'd be amazed at how close that is for me! Sorry - at least I got the south part right.

This weekend sounds like a lot of fun! People just seem to love going to Branson! You have a very gifted family - both of your daughters are musical, right? And I know you said you play at church. I love music but don't have a musical bone in my body so I enjoy listening to others play. My husband, and my daughter, both can pick out a song, by ear, on the piano, harmonica, guitar, etc. and think it's no big deal. My husband used to be in a rock group, back in the dark ages when he was in high school, but despite our offering to pay for lessons, my daughter never pursued music. Of course, she's only 21, so there's plenty of time. Ironically, I don't think she enjoys music nearly as much as I do, or as much as my son does, who unfortunately has absolutely no musical ability at all, just like his mother! Strange, huh? I wouldn't dream of being at home without the stereo going and I don't think my husband even knows how to turn it on! Just interesting, rambling observations that don't mean a thing!

Enjoy the rest of your week with your daughters. My daughter's spring break isn't until next week and she's going to Florida so I won't see much of her. My son and his girlfriend did come for dinner yesterday and it was great to see him. He's 28 and just got his masters last year in education. After he graduated from college with a degree in a totally unrelated field, he decided he wanted to become middle school teacher. Presently he is a tennis pro, however. He was working as one while going to college and they offered him a full-time job he couldn't refuse. It's unfortunate that a tennis pro gets paid so much more money than a teacher with a masters, isn't it? On the other hand, he's very happy, still works with kids and still plans on pursuing a career in teaching.

Hope the rest of the weeks passes with no more bad news and only good times!

Suzanne D on 3/11/02 at 22:15 (076228)

I enjoyed reading about your family, Kathy! I play piano and love many types of music. My older daughter plays piano and clarinet and is in band and orchestra. My younger daughter plays piano and enjoys dancing and youth theater. My husband says the only instrument he plays is the radio! :-)

Your family sounds talented. I'm glad your son has a good job while pursuing his dream of preparing to teach. Yes, we teachers don't rank very high on the pay scale; you have to love it, and I do. It sounds like he will, too.

I hope your daughter has a good trip to Florida!

Have a good week!

Necee on 3/12/02 at 22:38 (076309)

Hi Suzanne,
I hope that the sun is shining a little brighter in your world and that the gray clouds are gone. Life can be rough sometimes, but I hope that you know I'm thinking about you and praying for you.
Your such a delightful gal, and I always enjoy reading your posts.
Whining is allowed here, so if it makes you feel better then go right ahead.
All the best, and...
Happy Trails.......
Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 3/09/02 at 18:52 (076070)

Suzanne, what a difficult sequence of events! I'm so sorry that so many sad and stressful things have happened to you recently. And no, you are not whining! You have every right to feel sad and upset and maybe a little confused by so much going on at once. Any one of the things that happened would have been enough get many of us off balance, and you had to deal with them all.

When things get stressful, some of us find that our feet get worse and we cry a lot (which came first? the chicken or the egg? I don't know). For me, I think that my muscles tense up, and that strains my tendons and PF. Getting those new SAS shoes was a wonderful idea. It doesn't mean that your Birks won't work for you any more, but you needed a change and you went out and did something positive..... good for you!!!

Later, you may find that changing from your SAS to your Birks and back during the day is helpful. I have not been able to stay in any one shoe comfortably from dawn until bedtime since I got PF. I've done it, in my custom orthotics, but even they begin to cause me some dull aching pain by the end of the day. So usually I change to my Birkenstocks before and after work.

Your post has really done me some good. I have been depressed and tearful most of the day, but compared to your troubles I see that mine are so small and so you are cheering me up.

Also cheering me up is a bottle of Beringer White Zinfandel that I bought. I've had one glass, my first alcohol since the turn of the century a couple of years ago. If you have one glass of wine in over two years, it is actually plenty to remove all those inhibitions. Cheers! :)

Carole C

wendyn on 3/09/02 at 19:23 (076073)

I only seem to get about 6 good months out of Birks, then it almost feels as though I've broken them down enough that they seem to lose some support. I know Birks are supposed to last a long time - but it must be something that happpens, because I notice it every time.

Pam B on 3/09/02 at 20:03 (076076)

Hi Suzanne, its Pam, I know it has been a bad week for you and my thoughts and prayers are with you.....but try to remember the good in the week by always remembering the picture in your mind of your little Cinderella all dressed in white....sounds to me like that was the highlite of your week......she was your angel sent to pick you up and lift your spirits :)

nancy s. on 3/09/02 at 20:04 (076077)

suzanne, you do about the most non-whiny whining i've ever seen. if you need to whine harder, you know this is the place to do it. you have a lot happening in a short time, some of it very sad, and i'm sorry. it all sounds very difficult. be good to yourself during it.

it's true that tension and stress can change your foot needs, so just go with the flow and make what changes you need in order to feel more comfortable. they may not be permanent at all, once you've adjusted more to the emotional situations affecting you right now. i hope you (and carole) feel better very soon.

nancy

Suzanne D on 3/09/02 at 20:47 (076079)

Thank you, Carole. You always make me feel better! And I hope that you feel better soon, too!

I think I'll try changing shoes more often; perhaps that might help!

Suzanne D on 3/09/02 at 20:51 (076080)

Thank you, Wendy! I had been wondering just how long they would/should last. Perhaps that is part of the problem! I have been wearing either the Arizona or Boston pair every day to school - day in and day out. I guess I've worn them pretty hard.

Hope warmer temperatures come your way soon! Today has been rainy and extremely windy here; the kind of wind that turns your umbrella upside down! (In fact that happened to me three times today!) :-)

Suzanne D on 3/09/02 at 20:53 (076081)

Thank you, Nancy! Until you all reminded me, I had forgotten about the stress factor in changing our foot needs. Going with the flow sounds sensible. I've learned through the years to be flexible so as not to 'break', and so I guess that applies to dealing with foot challenges as well!

Hope you have a nice weekend, Nancy!

Suzanne D on 3/09/02 at 20:57 (076082)

Thank you, Pam! That's a sweet thought. I will keep that in mind. Ending these two weeks with buying my daughter's wedding dress IS a positive, even if I do miss the 'little girl' who once loved to play school in my classroom and watch Cinderella on t.v.! In a little over a year she will be preparing HER room for her first class. I am both proud and thankful at the same time.

Thanks for reminding me of that! :-)

John h on 3/09/02 at 21:42 (076088)

Wendy when you first get the birks (sandals anyway) the soles are very stiff. After some months they do lose their stiffness even though everything else appears normal. I have noticed that over 5 or 6 pairs of sandals I have gone thru. I also have the tell tell sign of the pronator with the rear outside sole wearing down rapidly.

wendyn on 3/09/02 at 22:52 (076091)

Me too John - the back outer edges

Clara on 3/10/02 at 03:56 (076097)

Hi Suzanne D!
I´m so sorry for you. All these funerals...! And the foot problems doesn´t make things easier. I think we all need eachothers support!
I have been totally 'crippled' (right word?) for the last month, of course I´m sad for that, but I´m happy for all friends I have, and my children, and my parents, and so on. We must learn to be happy for what we got at the moment. I heard somewhere that all we got is here and now. Nothing else. We don´t know anything about tomorrow...
Take care Suzanne, I´m thinking of you!
Lovely thoughts from Sweden to you from
//Clara

Re: .to Clara....

Suzanne D on 3/10/02 at 06:50 (076098)

Thank you, Clara! I am sorry that your foot pain is worse. (Yes, crippled is the right word!) When I go to the library in my school I think of you as I know you have told us that you work on hard floors in a library.

Thanks for thinking of me and for writing! You are correct: we DO need to be thankful for our blessings and not forget them in the midst of our troubles. Thanks for reminding me of that!

Best wishes to you,
Suzanne

Re: Same here...(eom)

Suzanne D on 3/10/02 at 06:51 (076099)

Carmen H on 3/10/02 at 10:24 (076107)

You tell your beautiful daughter to be careful in those shoes. ;-)
Not toooo much Dancin like Miss Carmen did!
I can't wait to see pictures. When's the big day?

Re: Suzanne, the angels here have heard,

Tammie on 3/10/02 at 10:40 (076109)

That you need a piece of wing. Bend down and allow us to help you thru the saddness and allow us to share your despair, so that we might lighten your burden and gently set you down. I can see that you have been carrying a huge load on your wings my friend, it is time that you let some of it go and lighten you wings.

I am so sorry to hear of all te saddness it hurts so very much to feel as tho we are loosing the people we love, but maybe the comforting thought might be that they have left us gifts of themselves in there momories. Something to share with others and carry on through our lives , maybe learning and intertwining some to our own lives. The people who you feel you have lost are angels now, and they are sharing there love with you and allowing you to shed tears and grieve and that my friend is when the healing takes place. The tears are a bit of glue to the fragments of your heart that you have shared with them and , that is a gift. You are a very loving woman and when it is your time to recieve your true wings , there will be many many hearts that will be recieving the tears of healing glue as you have touched so many hearts in such a loving way.

Thinking of what you write about your daughter shows the love that you share and the beauty and heart that you have shared with her to help her get to this very special place in life. You are truly blessed to expierance the gift of the little life that you helped bring into this world and nourished with love and kindness and which she will continue the gifts that you have given her. The ability to love and share and to know that the real beauty in life is the gift of sharing and passing on the gift of being able to love and nourish others. Please let the sun shine on in your life Suzanne as you are a really wonderful person with a heart that keeps on giving!

Re: to Carmen....

Suzanne D on 3/10/02 at 14:11 (076117)

Thanks, Carmen! Actually, the wedding is a year away - March of 2003. But you know how you have to begin getting everything taken care of! And, yes, that's what I thought when I saw her in those shoes! :-)

Unlike me, she is short and needed the high heels for the dress to be the right length. It was 'the dress' as soon as she tried it on and could not be shortened due to the lace at the bottom of the skirt. With the shoes, it is the perfect length.

I'll make sure and send a picture! :-)

Re: to Tammie...

Suzanne D on 3/10/02 at 14:13 (076118)

Thank you, Tammie. You are always so kind! :-) And you are right: sharing and loving is what life is all about.

How are you feeling these days?

Laurie R on 3/10/02 at 23:31 (076156)

Dear Suzanne , You sure have been through a lot on the past few weeks . My heart is with you . Sorry to hear your feet are feeling weird , my feet feel weird all the time .. I would not know what to do if they felt good. I think I would have a big party .....LOL Just know you are in my prayers and I am thinking about you ...... Laurie R

Kathy G on 3/11/02 at 09:39 (076164)

Suzanne,

So glad to have you back on the boards and I, too, am so sorry for all the sadness you've had to witness over the last couple of weeks. The old cliche that it never rains, but it pours, seems to be applicable! Hope things return to normal for you!

I'll look forward to seeing your posts in the future! Do you have a school vacation in April in Texas? I think that's where you are. I'm so bad at keeping these things straight! I know you're in the South and you say, 'You all'! Here in NH, we have an April vacation which is always a welcome break after the long winter. Not that we've had any winter to speak of this year. All the snow has been in the mid-west and down south. Our crocuses (crocii?) are out already and our plants are very confused due to the lack of cold and snow! It would be fine if we weren't facing a serious drought. They are already telling us to conserve water and that has never happened this early in the year before. It's the driest winter in the 130 years that they have been keeping records!

Re: to Laurie...

Suzanne D on 3/11/02 at 11:22 (076168)

Thank you, Laurie, for your thoughts and prayers. I am sorry to complain as I know you and others are in more ocnstant pain than I am. I do think of you often and wish there was something more I could do! When my feet hurt the worst I think of you and others and marvel at how you make it and keep such a good attitude!

Now that you've been for your second opinion, do you have any idea about your surgery date yet?

Take care, and thanks again!

Suzanne D on 3/11/02 at 11:38 (076169)

Thank you, Kathy! I'm in Kentucky, but you are right: I say 'you all' a lot! :-) I'd like to go to Texas someday. I always thought I'd like it there.

We do have a 2 week break coming up beginning the week of March 25! I wish it were next week as that is when my daughter is off from college. But at least I'll see her each day when I get home from school.

You are also right in that 'when it rains, it pours'. Last night we got a call telling us of the death of another friend. He and his wife were a great help to us when we first got out of college and settled into their church where my husband was minister. He was a big man - about 6'4' - with a heart as big as he was. He did many things for the church and always smiled when things were tough and said, 'Aw, it'll be alright!' That is what I remember most about him. He was a calming presence.

Well, thanks again, Kathy, for thinking of me!

I do have something to look forward to at the end of this week! I am going as one of the chaperones with my high school daughter's choir to Branson, Missouri! They will compete in a choral festival there, and we'll also get to see a couple of shows and eat on a dinner boat. You can tell we have not been far from home when I tell you this: my daughter came home telling me that on the dinner boat we were going to get to eat some dessert that was 'on fire'! (To this point, the only had things she's had to eat that were 'on fire' were things that her mama burned!) :-)

Kathy G on 3/11/02 at 14:31 (076183)

Kentucky - Texas. You'd be amazed at how close that is for me! Sorry - at least I got the south part right.

This weekend sounds like a lot of fun! People just seem to love going to Branson! You have a very gifted family - both of your daughters are musical, right? And I know you said you play at church. I love music but don't have a musical bone in my body so I enjoy listening to others play. My husband, and my daughter, both can pick out a song, by ear, on the piano, harmonica, guitar, etc. and think it's no big deal. My husband used to be in a rock group, back in the dark ages when he was in high school, but despite our offering to pay for lessons, my daughter never pursued music. Of course, she's only 21, so there's plenty of time. Ironically, I don't think she enjoys music nearly as much as I do, or as much as my son does, who unfortunately has absolutely no musical ability at all, just like his mother! Strange, huh? I wouldn't dream of being at home without the stereo going and I don't think my husband even knows how to turn it on! Just interesting, rambling observations that don't mean a thing!

Enjoy the rest of your week with your daughters. My daughter's spring break isn't until next week and she's going to Florida so I won't see much of her. My son and his girlfriend did come for dinner yesterday and it was great to see him. He's 28 and just got his masters last year in education. After he graduated from college with a degree in a totally unrelated field, he decided he wanted to become middle school teacher. Presently he is a tennis pro, however. He was working as one while going to college and they offered him a full-time job he couldn't refuse. It's unfortunate that a tennis pro gets paid so much more money than a teacher with a masters, isn't it? On the other hand, he's very happy, still works with kids and still plans on pursuing a career in teaching.

Hope the rest of the weeks passes with no more bad news and only good times!

Suzanne D on 3/11/02 at 22:15 (076228)

I enjoyed reading about your family, Kathy! I play piano and love many types of music. My older daughter plays piano and clarinet and is in band and orchestra. My younger daughter plays piano and enjoys dancing and youth theater. My husband says the only instrument he plays is the radio! :-)

Your family sounds talented. I'm glad your son has a good job while pursuing his dream of preparing to teach. Yes, we teachers don't rank very high on the pay scale; you have to love it, and I do. It sounds like he will, too.

I hope your daughter has a good trip to Florida!

Have a good week!

Necee on 3/12/02 at 22:38 (076309)

Hi Suzanne,
I hope that the sun is shining a little brighter in your world and that the gray clouds are gone. Life can be rough sometimes, but I hope that you know I'm thinking about you and praying for you.
Your such a delightful gal, and I always enjoy reading your posts.
Whining is allowed here, so if it makes you feel better then go right ahead.
All the best, and...
Happy Trails.......
Necee