Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help~~New Balance or what??

Posted by Donna M on 3/10/02 at 00:55 (076095)

Hi,
I haven't posted in several months. I have just been wearing my Birk's and going on my merry way!!:) Summer is approaching and it is hard to do 'everything' in Birk's!!

I have tried reading several of the posts, but as far behind as I am, they all get to where they run together!!

I want to get some tennis shoes for the summer and thought I had gotten what I needed, but I was wrong. I got the New Balance running shoe 1121 with the rollbar, etc. like I had seen that different ones were discussing back when I was coming to this sight everyday. (Not the 1121's since they are relatively new, just the rollbar and other features that were discussed.)

The left NB shoe, which is on my PF foot, slides up and down on my heel and basically causes pain in my foot when wearing it, and after taking it off, that feels like it is making my PF flare back up. (My theory of my PF is the new Easy Spirit shoes that I wore prior to coming down with PF, are what caused me to have PF!! Those ES shoes felt just like these NB do on my heel, but I wore them anyway. My foot kept getting worse, but I didn't really have a clue why~~thought I had done something to it!!) I am taking the NB back next week for an exchange, but I need to know what I should get!!

I know I definitely need support in the arch and some cushioning for my heel. My main pain now is the (swollen!) area between my ankle bone and arch. I don't have PF in my right foot, but I think I have worn Birk's for so long, if I walk around with just my Birk on my PF foot and nothing on the other, it (my right foot) feels like my arch may rip apart!! So I just don't let either foot touch the floor without support anymore!

I had thought that running shoes with the rollbar, motion control, etc. were the best, but then I have read some of the posts and I am totally confused!!

I will appreciate whatever help and info I can get!!

Thanks,
DonnaM

Re: Help~~New Balance or what??

Carole C in NOLA on 3/10/02 at 08:05 (076103)

Donna, the shoe that is best for you depends on your feet and your gait. No one shoe is best for everybody. Too bad, because if it were you'd better believe I'd be wearing it! (grin)

I know so little about running shoes, and I have had problems with NB running shoes in the last month (see various posts below) that I would hesitate to suggest any. I do know that the NB site at http://www.newbalance.com tells a lot about each shoe, including what gait it is intended for. The NB 1121 is intended for moderate to severe pronators. If you fall in this category, maybe the 854 would work for you; it has a much more snug heel area than the 879's that I replaced them with.

Are you sure that you got the right size of 1121? maybe you needed a smaller size.

Carole C

Donna M on 3/10/02 at 12:49 (076115)

Thanks for the help Carole!
The length of the shoe was perfect and I have to get a D width due to a pinched nerve in my right foot! The right shoe was fine, but the left one, where I need 'perfection' :) wasn't there!!
I guess what I really would like to know is what tennis shoe has a footbed that is closest to the 'feel' of a 'Birk', with some cushioning!!
Does a NB with a rollbar help give more arch support than one without it? Is the stability web about as good as the rollbar?

Thanks again,
Donna

Suzanne D on 3/10/02 at 13:51 (076116)

Donna, I don't know a thing about athletic shoes except that Reebok DMX Walkers were terrible for me last summer (too soft; not enough support in the heel)! I got them before I learned anything about PF, thinking they would be helpful. The only tennis shoes I have ever worn have been Keds or that type. I know they're not supportive, either.

I DO know that Birkenstock inserts can make other shoes feel more like Birks. I have a new pair of SAS walking shoes (lace-ups, comfortable support, sort of look like an athletic shoe) in which I place my Birk inserts. Right now that combination seems to work for me.

I just thought I'd mention the inserts to you. Perhaps you might want to check them out.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/10/02 at 08:05 (076103)

Donna, the shoe that is best for you depends on your feet and your gait. No one shoe is best for everybody. Too bad, because if it were you'd better believe I'd be wearing it! (grin)

I know so little about running shoes, and I have had problems with NB running shoes in the last month (see various posts below) that I would hesitate to suggest any. I do know that the NB site at http://www.newbalance.com tells a lot about each shoe, including what gait it is intended for. The NB 1121 is intended for moderate to severe pronators. If you fall in this category, maybe the 854 would work for you; it has a much more snug heel area than the 879's that I replaced them with.

Are you sure that you got the right size of 1121? maybe you needed a smaller size.

Carole C

Donna M on 3/10/02 at 12:49 (076115)

Thanks for the help Carole!
The length of the shoe was perfect and I have to get a D width due to a pinched nerve in my right foot! The right shoe was fine, but the left one, where I need 'perfection' :) wasn't there!!
I guess what I really would like to know is what tennis shoe has a footbed that is closest to the 'feel' of a 'Birk', with some cushioning!!
Does a NB with a rollbar help give more arch support than one without it? Is the stability web about as good as the rollbar?

Thanks again,
Donna

Suzanne D on 3/10/02 at 13:51 (076116)

Donna, I don't know a thing about athletic shoes except that Reebok DMX Walkers were terrible for me last summer (too soft; not enough support in the heel)! I got them before I learned anything about PF, thinking they would be helpful. The only tennis shoes I have ever worn have been Keds or that type. I know they're not supportive, either.

I DO know that Birkenstock inserts can make other shoes feel more like Birks. I have a new pair of SAS walking shoes (lace-ups, comfortable support, sort of look like an athletic shoe) in which I place my Birk inserts. Right now that combination seems to work for me.

I just thought I'd mention the inserts to you. Perhaps you might want to check them out.