Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Laser Treatment for Heel Spurs?

Posted by Walter F on 3/10/02 at 10:34 (076108)

If heel spurs are caused by calcium deposits accumulating over a tendon. Would using laser treatment to blast the calcium deposits like they do for kidney stones be an option? Does this type of treatment exist? I have tried cortisone shots, anti inflammatory even cushion insoles with no results. The only thing left is custom foot orthotics. Do you think they would help considering the expense?

Re: Laser Treatment for Heel Spurs?

Carole C in NOLA on 3/10/02 at 12:25 (076112)

Walter, my custom orthotics have been very helpful along with other conservative treatments such as gentle stretching, anti-inflammatories, and icing. The custom orthotics were well worth the expense for me, although they don't work for everyone. I have also found it extremely helpful to never go barefoot, even in the shower where I use a shower stool and shower shoes. I have found my custom orthotics or else my Birkenstocks to work the best for me, and I don't stand or take a single step without them.

There is a treatment called ESWT which uses sound waves. It's expensive, and not all insurance plans cover it, but it might be worth looking into if conservative treatments like custom orthotics and stretching and so on do not work. The pain that we feel is not caused by heel spurs; usually it's caused by the injuries to your feet that also caused the heel spurs.

My suggestion would be to read the heel pain book (on this website) and try conservative treatments for at least six months before ESWT, because it is so expensive and you may not need it. There's an ESWT message board here on this website.

Carole C

Re: Laser Treatment for Heel Spurs?

Carole C in NOLA on 3/10/02 at 12:25 (076112)

Walter, my custom orthotics have been very helpful along with other conservative treatments such as gentle stretching, anti-inflammatories, and icing. The custom orthotics were well worth the expense for me, although they don't work for everyone. I have also found it extremely helpful to never go barefoot, even in the shower where I use a shower stool and shower shoes. I have found my custom orthotics or else my Birkenstocks to work the best for me, and I don't stand or take a single step without them.

There is a treatment called ESWT which uses sound waves. It's expensive, and not all insurance plans cover it, but it might be worth looking into if conservative treatments like custom orthotics and stretching and so on do not work. The pain that we feel is not caused by heel spurs; usually it's caused by the injuries to your feet that also caused the heel spurs.

My suggestion would be to read the heel pain book (on this website) and try conservative treatments for at least six months before ESWT, because it is so expensive and you may not need it. There's an ESWT message board here on this website.

Carole C