Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Alternatives

Posted by John h on 3/10/02 at 12:46 (076113)

While browsing at Barnes & noble this morning I picked up a book entitled 'Full Catrophe Living' The program of the stress reduction clinc at the University of Massachuetts Medical Center. I opened the book somewhere near the middle and followinf is the first paragraph I read:

'Another man in his early 70's, came to the clinic with severe pain in his feet. He came to the first class in a wheelchair. His wife came with him for each class and sat outside for two hours. The first day he told the class the pain was so bad he just wanted to cut off his feet. He did not see what meditation could do for him, but they were so bad he willing to give anything a try. Everybody felt incredable sorry for him. Somehthing abut the first class must have touched him because this man showed an remarkable determination to work with his pain the weeks that followed. He came to the second class on crutches rather than the wheelchair. After that he used only a cane. The transition from wheelchair to crutches to cane spoke volumes to us all as we watched him from week to week. He said at the end, the pain had not changed much but his attitude towards the pain had changed a lot. He said it just becamed more bearable after he started meditating and at the end of the program his feet were less of a problem. When the program was over, his wife confirmed that he was much happier and more active.'

without comment

Re: Alternatives

Julie on 3/10/02 at 17:21 (076125)

Thank you for posting this story, John. It's a fine example of how we can help ourselves deal with pain.

So - when are you going to go to your first yoga lesson?

John h on 3/10/02 at 18:23 (076130)

Julie: When they get at least one more man in the class. There is only one guy and 12 girls. I do not think I can handle the pressure.

Julie on 3/11/02 at 04:54 (076157)

You'd get used to being the only man. And you'll love having all those girls around. I can't believe that you of all people are shy of that 'pressure' (which isn't).

Anyway, you're not meant to pay attention to what others are doing.

Maybe you should emigrate and come to my classes. I have lots of men - at least four in each class.

Julie on 3/10/02 at 17:21 (076125)

Thank you for posting this story, John. It's a fine example of how we can help ourselves deal with pain.

So - when are you going to go to your first yoga lesson?

John h on 3/10/02 at 18:23 (076130)

Julie: When they get at least one more man in the class. There is only one guy and 12 girls. I do not think I can handle the pressure.

Julie on 3/11/02 at 04:54 (076157)

You'd get used to being the only man. And you'll love having all those girls around. I can't believe that you of all people are shy of that 'pressure' (which isn't).

Anyway, you're not meant to pay attention to what others are doing.

Maybe you should emigrate and come to my classes. I have lots of men - at least four in each class.