Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Knots on the legs

Posted by wendyn on 3/11/02 at 13:22 (076177)

John H - I was reading one of the sites you posted a link to.....I wonder if this is what those weird little lumps are on my shins? This is found under 'Compartment Syndrome'

The most common response to this syndrome is pain toward the outside of the shin. The pain is felt over a greater area than a stress fracture, and it occurs at exactly the same time during exercise. Fascial hernias are an indication that the shin pain felt is due to compartment syndrome. These little balloon-like pouches bulge from under the skin on the lower shin. Small fascial hernias are common to allow blood vessels and nerves to expand. Larger holes can develop due to the pressure of compartment syndrome can actually allow muscle to be pushed through. This can cause pain and tenderness, numbness and tingling in the foot.

Re: Knots on the legs

John h on 3/11/02 at 13:50 (076178)

I read that section on Compartment Syndrome Wendy. I had never heard of it. I think I told you I have what I would describe a a 'rough' lower shin bone. You cannot see anything visually when looking at the shin but with your fingers you can feel the liitle bumps under the skin sort of between the skin and bone. Seem like it has been that way forever and I just thought and it may be normal. Causes me no pain or any smptoms even when I was a big time runner. Does not sound like the Compartment Syndrome we are reading about as far as symptoms go. Interesting it reads that if you have this condition in an acute stage it is a medical emergency.

Re: Knots on the legs

John h on 3/11/02 at 13:50 (076178)

I read that section on Compartment Syndrome Wendy. I had never heard of it. I think I told you I have what I would describe a a 'rough' lower shin bone. You cannot see anything visually when looking at the shin but with your fingers you can feel the liitle bumps under the skin sort of between the skin and bone. Seem like it has been that way forever and I just thought and it may be normal. Causes me no pain or any smptoms even when I was a big time runner. Does not sound like the Compartment Syndrome we are reading about as far as symptoms go. Interesting it reads that if you have this condition in an acute stage it is a medical emergency.