Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Morton's neuroma

Posted by Lisa on 3/11/02 at 14:31 (076182)

Dear Doctor,
I am 6 weeks post op from surgery to remove a Morton's Neuroma in my left foot. In my case additionally there was a torn ligament repaired and a fibroid mass caused by injections removed . I am due a 6 week (actual 7 week real time) check up with my Orthopedic Dr. next week. With any amount of standing/walking the foot is very painful. Two toes on either side of the incision are numb and can not move. If I were to bend them up or down involuntarily such as on a incline like a curb or kneel down with toes curled forward it is very painful. There is still swelling present more so after walking around. I would like some useful questions to ask my doctor next week as the visit is very rushed. Does the foot seems to be on a normal healing track? If so or not what would the questions you may suggest I ask I should ask.
Thank you for your time.

Re: Morton's neuroma

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/11/02 at 15:59 (076188)

Numbness after the excision of a nerve is what you will almost always have. Swelling, difficulty moving toes, and pain at time can happen during the post-op healing period. This can be anywhere from three to twelve months after the foot surgery.

v on 3/11/02 at 21:47 (076224)

vv

Re: Dr. Zuckerman

Lisa on 3/21/02 at 08:07 (077082)

Dr. Zuckerman,
Unfortunately, I was unable to see my Dr. Post Op the office was running 3 hours behind the day of my appointment. I was unable to stay to wait for the actual 2nd waiting area for my doctor. This means I now am rescheduled for two more weeks. I understand I may experience some swelling and movement difficulties. In my case the swelling is constant (with additional swelling above the ankle), the foot is discolored compared to the other. In addition it feels as if I am walking on a stone. The pain is constant to the point were I have went back to Vicodin to relive it. I asked for a call back from my doctor but 3 days out I have not heard from him. In your opinion, should I seek another Dr's opinion?

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/21/02 at 11:37 (077107)

YES

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/11/02 at 15:59 (076188)

Numbness after the excision of a nerve is what you will almost always have. Swelling, difficulty moving toes, and pain at time can happen during the post-op healing period. This can be anywhere from three to twelve months after the foot surgery.

v on 3/11/02 at 21:47 (076224)

vv

Lisa on 3/21/02 at 08:07 (077082)

Dr. Zuckerman,
Unfortunately, I was unable to see my Dr. Post Op the office was running 3 hours behind the day of my appointment. I was unable to stay to wait for the actual 2nd waiting area for my doctor. This means I now am rescheduled for two more weeks. I understand I may experience some swelling and movement difficulties. In my case the swelling is constant (with additional swelling above the ankle), the foot is discolored compared to the other. In addition it feels as if I am walking on a stone. The pain is constant to the point were I have went back to Vicodin to relive it. I asked for a call back from my doctor but 3 days out I have not heard from him. In your opinion, should I seek another Dr's opinion?

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/21/02 at 11:37 (077107)

YES