Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need Advice on Going Thru with ESWT When Only 2 People Have Had It Done Here

Posted by Ardee W. on 3/11/02 at 16:29 (076195)

I have a very good orthopedic surgeon I have been seeing the last year. Recently, the ESWT became available in our city but only two people have had it done. I am concerned about the amount of 'expertise' the technician should possess. This doctor charges $1,500 to do the procedure. Of course, the use of machine and outpatient facility is on top of that. What types of questions should I be asking? Any advice? Thanks ahead of time. These boards and the heelspur website have been a great help.

Re: Need Advice on Going Thru with ESWT When Only 2 People Have Had It Done Here

Carmen H on 3/11/02 at 18:22 (076207)

Hi Ardee! Post your question to Dr. Z on the foot doctors board and he will probably guide you through the process and what you need to know....if he doesn't do it first here.
Also do a search on the boards putting in ESWT and see what types of info you can read.

Re: Need Advice on Going Thru with ESWT When Only 2 People Have Had It Done Here

Julie on 3/12/02 at 02:39 (076238)

I'm sure Dr Z will post. He has always said, and I am sure it is true, that the most important factor in ESWT is the expertise of the doctor performing the procedure. I would be awfully reluctant to trust my feet, or part with that kind of money, to a doctor, however wonderful, who had done only two procedures.

I would definitely travel to one who had a lot of experience. The cost of the flight is negligible in relation to the cost of the treatment.

john h on 3/12/02 at 09:51 (076256)

Ardee: their is a doctor not to far from you that I think is a lot less expensive and has experience. Do not want to post his name on board but you can email me at (email removed). I think his charge is $500 per foot plus the other charges.It is supprising the variance in charges for this procedure.

Ardee W. on 3/12/02 at 14:09 (076272)

Thanks, Carmen. I will do that.

Re: Thanks Julie

Ardee W. on 3/12/02 at 14:12 (076273)

That would make sense to me, Julie, I wasn't sure how complicated the system was. I know my husband was ASTOUNDED that a doctor could get $1,500 for half hour doing something he had only done twice......smile..

Thanks

Re: Thanks, John

Ardee W. on 3/12/02 at 14:13 (076274)

Thanks for the info. I will be emailing you.

Carmen H on 3/11/02 at 18:22 (076207)

Hi Ardee! Post your question to Dr. Z on the foot doctors board and he will probably guide you through the process and what you need to know....if he doesn't do it first here.
Also do a search on the boards putting in ESWT and see what types of info you can read.

Julie on 3/12/02 at 02:39 (076238)

I'm sure Dr Z will post. He has always said, and I am sure it is true, that the most important factor in ESWT is the expertise of the doctor performing the procedure. I would be awfully reluctant to trust my feet, or part with that kind of money, to a doctor, however wonderful, who had done only two procedures.

I would definitely travel to one who had a lot of experience. The cost of the flight is negligible in relation to the cost of the treatment.

john h on 3/12/02 at 09:51 (076256)

Ardee: their is a doctor not to far from you that I think is a lot less expensive and has experience. Do not want to post his name on board but you can email me at (email removed). I think his charge is $500 per foot plus the other charges.It is supprising the variance in charges for this procedure.

Ardee W. on 3/12/02 at 14:09 (076272)

Thanks, Carmen. I will do that.

Re: Thanks Julie

Ardee W. on 3/12/02 at 14:12 (076273)

That would make sense to me, Julie, I wasn't sure how complicated the system was. I know my husband was ASTOUNDED that a doctor could get $1,500 for half hour doing something he had only done twice......smile..

Thanks

Re: Thanks, John

Ardee W. on 3/12/02 at 14:13 (076274)

Thanks for the info. I will be emailing you.