Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Achilles Tendon pain

Posted by Dave F on 3/12/02 at 10:49 (076261)

I have severe pain in my achilles tendon area of my right foot. When I plant my heel as I walk I get a severe shooting pain like I have been stabbed in the back of my ankle. I've had x-rays and MRI's and nothing seems to show up. I used to play soccer twice a week and run 3 days a week. Now I can just about walk. The pain feels like it is coming from right behind the tendon. I have been to 3 doctors and none of them have been able to help me. Any advice?

Re: Achilles Tendon pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/12/02 at 12:52 (076266)

Have you looked into ESWT for chronic insertional achilles tendonitis. If you e-mail Dr Z (email removed) I can get you information

Re: Achilles Tendon pain--watch out for soccer shoes

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/14/02 at 15:45 (076436)

A lot of soccer shoes have a negative heel, that is, a heel that is lower than the ball of the foot. That can place a lot of additional strain on the achilles. I am seeing more achilles tendinitis than ever with the increasing popularity of soccer.

Things that need to be looked at include the relative tightness of the tendon as well as heel and subtalar joint motion. Your doc needs to understand the interplay of the three factors listed. What type of doctor did you see?
Ed

Dave F on 3/14/02 at 15:53 (076437)

Ed,

For years I actualy had this small catching sensation in my right ankle. I would just be walking / running around and I'd get this shooting pain when I planted my right foot in a normal stride. I went to a DPM and explained to him. After many x-rays we decided on surgery. It did not seem like a big deal. It was one of those things that could happen twice in a week and then might not happen for a month. Now after the surgery, I have constant sharp pain in my right achilles area and I have limited strength in my ankle. On a one to ten scale, one being no pain, the pain before my surgery was 3. Now after surgery it is a 10 and I am very frustrated. I am considering ESWT and praying that it helps. I have always been very active. Now I can walk and jog very lightly on a treadmill.

Kathryn R. on 3/17/02 at 11:21 (076642)

Dave, Please be careful who you see for achillies tendon. I wish I would have searched around, but I had this doc before and the only one I knew of. If I knew then what I know now I would have checked this out. So Please, please ask questions listen and read your messages on here.
I would hate to hear of anyone else being in the mess I'm in. Don't waste too much time in getting help. Keep us posted.

Kathryn R.

Re: Achilles Tendon pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/12/02 at 12:52 (076266)

Have you looked into ESWT for chronic insertional achilles tendonitis. If you e-mail Dr Z (email removed) I can get you information

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/14/02 at 15:45 (076436)

A lot of soccer shoes have a negative heel, that is, a heel that is lower than the ball of the foot. That can place a lot of additional strain on the achilles. I am seeing more achilles tendinitis than ever with the increasing popularity of soccer.

Things that need to be looked at include the relative tightness of the tendon as well as heel and subtalar joint motion. Your doc needs to understand the interplay of the three factors listed. What type of doctor did you see?
Ed

Dave F on 3/14/02 at 15:53 (076437)

Ed,

For years I actualy had this small catching sensation in my right ankle. I would just be walking / running around and I'd get this shooting pain when I planted my right foot in a normal stride. I went to a DPM and explained to him. After many x-rays we decided on surgery. It did not seem like a big deal. It was one of those things that could happen twice in a week and then might not happen for a month. Now after the surgery, I have constant sharp pain in my right achilles area and I have limited strength in my ankle. On a one to ten scale, one being no pain, the pain before my surgery was 3. Now after surgery it is a 10 and I am very frustrated. I am considering ESWT and praying that it helps. I have always been very active. Now I can walk and jog very lightly on a treadmill.

Kathryn R. on 3/17/02 at 11:21 (076642)

Dave, Please be careful who you see for achillies tendon. I wish I would have searched around, but I had this doc before and the only one I knew of. If I knew then what I know now I would have checked this out. So Please, please ask questions listen and read your messages on here.
I would hate to hear of anyone else being in the mess I'm in. Don't waste too much time in getting help. Keep us posted.

Kathryn R.