Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New PT tool for PF massage

Posted by D.Thomas on 3/12/02 at 14:36 (076277)

Was just at my PT today and he mentioned that they are going to test a new product coming out the next couple of months. Basically when my PT does my soft tissue massage, he uses a short metal bar that he rubs up and down on the sore areas to break up the scar tissue. Well, a company appears to have jumped on it and is coming out with specific tools to do the same.

Basically it costs $1000 to become trained with it and then you have to 'rent' (yes, you cannot buy) the tools. Plus you have to have continued education for $250 a year. My PT said he would be surprised if it is better than the tool he uses (which is the rubber hammer bar they use to test your reflexes with). I have to admit that the hammer does ten times better than any type of hand or finger massage I have had to date. You can really feel the bad spots on your fascia. They actually feel like rice crisps. Pretty weird feeling, but you can really tell and feel the bad areas from the good areas of the fascia.

Re: New PT tool for PF massage

D.Thomas on 3/13/02 at 09:40 (076339)

My Opinion:

This type of massage works best for people who have pain in the arches. Arch pain that I have seen tends to be along one of the main bands of the fascia, and massaging with a tool allows the PT to keep a constant pressure on the whole band of the fascia while breaking up the scar tissue. They also have better control on how much pressure to put in the area so not to reinjure the area. The other main advatage is from the PT standpoint, in that, they don't kill their thumbs over time.

Re: New PT tool for PF massage

D.Thomas on 3/13/02 at 09:40 (076339)

My Opinion:

This type of massage works best for people who have pain in the arches. Arch pain that I have seen tends to be along one of the main bands of the fascia, and massaging with a tool allows the PT to keep a constant pressure on the whole band of the fascia while breaking up the scar tissue. They also have better control on how much pressure to put in the area so not to reinjure the area. The other main advatage is from the PT standpoint, in that, they don't kill their thumbs over time.