Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ecco's that aren't Eccor Receptors, Dr. Martens, and SAS

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 3/12/02 at 20:30 (076298)

I went to a large department store last weekend, and they had zillions of different kinds of Ecco shoes in the lace-up styles that I like (though they did not have any Ecco Receptors). These regular Ecco's were so pretty, in all different colors and a very attractive style. They were also TERRIBLE for what my feet need. They flunked all the tests! They were as flexibly as bunny slippers, and bent in the arch, and twisted way too easily.

Now Doc Martens were the opposite. Their sole was so rigid and heavy that they didn't seem like they'd be comfortable, even if I liked the style (which I didn't really).

So, to be perfectly honest..... I drove to a SAS shoestore and bought some SAS 'Free Time's like Suzanne got. I wasn't going to say anything here, because I didn't want to 'jynx' the purchase. I was afraid they would start hurting if I talked about them. Well, I've worn them pretty much all day every day since Saturday, except some evenings, and they have worked out quite nicely even without orthotics. They are the shoes that I wore when I stood for 20 minutes at work, and I have worn them shopping and everywhere.

These are really GOOD shoes for my particular feet, and I am not feeling any bad effects from them at this point. They are womens' shoes in a pretty black nubuck, and I feel pretty again in them. The SAS 'Time Out's that my orthotics are in (the ones that I call my Sherman tanks or crossdressing clown shoes) are men's shoes. The salesman said 'So and so is your pedorthist? What's she doing putting you in a huge shoe like a Time Out?' He was amazed, and suggested that I take her my new SAS shoes and have her trim the orthotic to fit them. I told him I'm coming back in a year to get more SAS 'Siesta's, just like my oldest, worn out pair of SAS shoes, that I was wearing when I got PF. Right now the 'Free Time's give me a little more support.

Carole C

Re: Dr. Martens

Sandy H. on 3/12/02 at 21:26 (076302)

Are DMs good? Of course you know Dr. Marten developed them when rehabing a leg injury.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/12/02 at 23:07 (076313)

I haven't even tried them on. I think I'd want something with a little more flexibility, not in the arch area, of course, but where the toes bend. But maybe others don't mind the rigidity of these shoes.

Carole

Re: Ecco's that aren't Eccor Receptors, Dr. Martens, and SAS

Mike S on 3/21/02 at 15:04 (077119)

I also have had good luck with Ecco's, although they don't last very long and are expensive. We may have inflamation in different areas.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/22/02 at 10:44 (077202)

That could be true, Mike.

I have some Easy Spirits that are not as flexible as the Ecco's, but are still too flexible for me. I wore them on January 8th and re-injured my plantar fascia somewhat, because they bend in that arch area too much for me. I haven't worn them since.

Afterwards I found two tests which are supposed to help in selecting shoes that will work for PF sufferers, and my Easy Spirits flunk both:

1. Do they bend where the toes bend but not where the arch is? and

2. If you hold the heel counter in one hand and grasp the toe area in the other hand, and try to twist, does it resist that twisting?

After my disastrous attempt to wear my Easy Spirits, I tend to be pretty leery of shoes that flunk these tests. My SAS shoes that work so well for me do reasonably well on these tests. The Ecco's that I was looking at flunked both of them miserably, and were as flexible as bunny slippers. So, that is why I feel they would not work for me. The Doc Martens I was looking at did well except they did not bend easily even at the toes.

As you point out, people here have different individual foot problems and there's no one solution.

Carole C

Sandy H. on 3/12/02 at 21:26 (076302)

Are DMs good? Of course you know Dr. Marten developed them when rehabing a leg injury.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/12/02 at 23:07 (076313)

I haven't even tried them on. I think I'd want something with a little more flexibility, not in the arch area, of course, but where the toes bend. But maybe others don't mind the rigidity of these shoes.

Carole

Mike S on 3/21/02 at 15:04 (077119)

I also have had good luck with Ecco's, although they don't last very long and are expensive. We may have inflamation in different areas.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/22/02 at 10:44 (077202)

That could be true, Mike.

I have some Easy Spirits that are not as flexible as the Ecco's, but are still too flexible for me. I wore them on January 8th and re-injured my plantar fascia somewhat, because they bend in that arch area too much for me. I haven't worn them since.

Afterwards I found two tests which are supposed to help in selecting shoes that will work for PF sufferers, and my Easy Spirits flunk both:

1. Do they bend where the toes bend but not where the arch is? and

2. If you hold the heel counter in one hand and grasp the toe area in the other hand, and try to twist, does it resist that twisting?

After my disastrous attempt to wear my Easy Spirits, I tend to be pretty leery of shoes that flunk these tests. My SAS shoes that work so well for me do reasonably well on these tests. The Ecco's that I was looking at flunked both of them miserably, and were as flexible as bunny slippers. So, that is why I feel they would not work for me. The Doc Martens I was looking at did well except they did not bend easily even at the toes.

As you point out, people here have different individual foot problems and there's no one solution.

Carole C