Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TMJ

Posted by Valerie S on 3/12/02 at 21:30 (076303)

Hi.

Totally off the subject of feet, I know... but I have suffered from jaw joint problems for about 17 years now, since I was 14 years old... sought treatment at 19, found out nothing was covered by insurance and decided to put it off... now, at 31... I was hoping there might be more answers out there regarding TMJ.

As I approach a visit with a new dentist, I thought I'd do a search and see what info I could find about this painful problem... I found this website that's packed with info and statistics... just to read that they don't know what causes it or how to fix it, except that there is a list of 50 different treatments being tried. I came across the statement that for most people it just goes away, with or without treatment...

Sorry for posting off-topic... I've just been devastated by this news... It reminds me too much of that hopeless PF thing all over again... my jaw has been aching for so long, and I really thought that I was about to get an answer. Boy, is this a bummer or what?

Here's a quote:

'We have been taught that pain is a symptom and the way to relieve a symptom is to remove the cause. If no somatic cause can be found, we may give up and abandon the patient. Or we may hypothesize a cause and treat it, either conservatively or less conservatively. If the treatment fails, we may try something else or tell the patient to learn to live with the pain.'

Give me strength... ha ha...

Val.

Re: TMJ

BrianG on 3/12/02 at 21:41 (076304)

Hi Val,

I wouldn't be too bummed out until you talk to your dentist. I've been through TMJ, and for me, the treatment was a custom made night guard that realligned my jaw. Took about a year. You could be looking at something as simple as that.

If anyone sugests surgery, get a 2nd and 3rd opinion. I'd say TMJ is alot like PF, put off the surgery as long as possible, lots of nerves in that area. Good luck

BrianG

Valerie S on 3/12/02 at 21:59 (076306)

Thanks Brian... I needed that reminder, as I was beginning to spin into the panic mode here... hee hee... A little knowledge can be a bad thing...

Val.

linda a on 3/12/02 at 22:36 (076308)

hello valerie ! i too suffer from TMJ . orthodontist gave me two choices because my jaw was out of alingnment ; 1. have it broken and wired shut for a couple of weeks or 2. have 8 teeth removed ( 4 wisdom + 4 side ) and wear braces for 4 yrs . well being chicken about having surgery ( 24 yrs at the time ) , i opted for door # 2 . now my sister definetly needs to have the surgery , but she can't afford it . did the TMJ go away ? NO . little bit less painful for the TMJ and my jaw is in alignment . yawning , chewing up meat , chewing gum , talking on the phone , and the big ' STRESS ' word ( tightening up those facial muscles ) all aggravate the problem . some dentist think that people who grind their teeth at night might benefit from a night mouthguard . my friend seem to think that it helped in her situation . i tried a inexpensive plastic ' u ' shape one ( not molded to my mouth ) , it kept falling out . my biggest problem is controlling the yawning . see your dentist for some advice . take care . linda (Ky)

Julie on 3/13/02 at 02:24 (076318)

Val, this is interesting to me, and I'd love to know what your new dentist says about it. Our dentist practises what he calls Whole Body Dentistry - which means that he looks for the relationships between what goes on in the mouth and what goes on in the rest of the body. He does a lot of work on re-aligning jaws, with some success, I gather. The next time I see him I'll ask him about TMJ.

I loved your quote! Just what we've suspected all along, eh?

Carmen H on 3/13/02 at 07:22 (076322)

That sounds a little like kinesiology Julie! My NST guy works on TMJ with much success as well.

Carmen H on 3/13/02 at 07:25 (076323)

My mother has TMJ from (get this crazy story) back in the 70's we were in the mall and she was walking very quickly we were in a hurry to get somewhere and she had on those old HIGH heels with the slick bottoms? You know NO traction at all? Her foot came out from under her on those slippery floors and she landed on her JAW. Literally her chin slammed down on the floor and she was sprawled on her stomach! How painful!!!!
Anyway she has been told a very important thing you can do is NOT CHEW GUM and stay away from caramels and things that make your jaw work harder.
Sounds trivial but it helps her stay relatively pain free.
:-)

Valerie S on 3/13/02 at 08:51 (076330)

Thanks Linda...

When I was 19, I was referred to an orthodontist and oral surgeon for a solution. They told me my top jaw was too small, and they were going to move all my teeth over (to undo what my childhood dentist did to try to make room for my teeth), break my upper jaw into 3 pieces and wire it shut for a year. We were actually going to go for it, but couldn't figure out how we were going to pay that huge bill for braces and surgery, so we put it off. Who knows if it would have helped anyways, from what I'm reading now.

This website claims that 90% of people seeking treatment are women in their childbearing years. Which doesn't mean that men don't have it just as much, but could have something to do with pain tolerance and the body's ability to produce endorphins to alleviate the pain. They also said that in baboons, they found estrogen being produced in the jaw joints of females and no hormones in the jaws of males... I thought that was interesting, too.

Interesting too that your sister has the same problem... congenital, I'll bet... I have four sisters, and none of them have TMJ problems... It can also be caused by injury and behavior, like you said... I think mine has been caused by the dentist moving all my top teeth to the side, altering my bite... or at least that is what they told me in 1990... I'm looking forward to meeting this dentist. My husband has seen him already. Apparently, he's one that other dentists go to when they have problems with their teeth. My husband said that the doc was massaging his jaws and moving his face around and stuff... so at the very least, I know he's not going to make me have my mouth wide open for a long time... ouch. hee hee...

Oh well, I'll just have to see what happens on the 26th and go from there.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Val.

Re: TMJ------ the work that you originally have done --- is it still in alignment or off ?

linda a on 3/13/02 at 19:35 (076375)

that was some interesting facts valerie about the hormones . hormones affect so many different things, such as migraine headaches and the amount of serotonin levels available to the body . so, would you say that your jaw is in alignment or not , since the original denistry work ? growing up w/ 4 siblings our parents could not afford taking us to the dentist , especially w/ no dental insurance . when i finally got a job w/ good dental insurance i decided to go for it . insurance paid for $ 750 and i paid for $ 1,500 . at first i was a little embarrased over my age and having braces , then i started noticing all the older adults sporting them . my dentist is very careful that i don't open up my mouth to wide during the cleanings , but it usually aches anyway after a visit . do you live close to a teaching dental school ? i know here in louisville , ky . they offer dental services at the school for people who have insurance & don't have any ( usually cheaper than a regular dentist and you could setup a payment plan ). linda ( Ky)

Re: crazy story carmen

linda a on 3/13/02 at 19:54 (076377)

oh, it sounded so painful . my grandmother just had a nasty fall . she was talking to my cousin when she failed to see the first small step leading to the library . her rt eye was black-n-blue w/ abraisions on her nose and rt side of the face . looked like she was involved in a 'bar-room 'fight . grandmother would not have her face checked out by a doctor , so i only hope she did not do any other damage . yes --- chewing gum and biting into an apple is ' off limits ' for people who suffer from TMJ . i had a hard time giving up my gum ( i was the type who placed it on the bedpost ) . ha ha !!! i loved the zebra stripped gum w/ fruity flavors . linda (Ky)

Re: TMJ------ the work that you originally have done --- is it still in alignment or off ?

Valerie S on 3/14/02 at 07:18 (076410)

Thanks for your response, Linda...

I would say my jaw is I guess out of alignment... it's like constantly changing... I don't know where it goes, and it is always tense, and I can't stop the popping ... sometimes it catches just right and hurts for hours. Other times, I can't open my mouth all the way... the rest of the time it's more like a tension headache. I try hard not to think about it, but then when I become aware of it, realizing that it feels like it's in a strange position, I move it around, but still can't find where it goes... I know this strain can't be good, since it's been hurting for so many years now...

I look forward to seeing what this new dentist has to say. I am hoping that something simple like the nightguard Brian talked about could help me too...

Thanks, Val.

Kathy G on 3/14/02 at 09:30 (076416)

Hi Valerie,

Well, first of all, I just love your quote! I was told by one doctor that I had fibromyalgia, after he insisted I had rheumatoid arthritis and was disappointed to learn I'd been tested for it twice and both tests were negative. When I asked him if he really believed that Firbromyalgia was a disease, he said, 'Well, we have to have some explanation for people like you!' My family has been trying to explain me for years and not because of some aches and pains I have!

As to the TMJ, I was diagnosed with it about 26 years ago. I have worn a night guard, designed by an orthodontist, ever since and it helps so much, it's unbelievable. I don't have the popping but I do have the tense muscles, facial aches, temple aches, stiff neck, headaches, etc. Sometimes I'm fine, other times it really bothers me. Sometimes I can relate it to a stressful episode in my life, other times not. Interestingly, during a particularly stressful period, my regular dentist prescribed 5 mg. Valium at bedtime. The difference was like night and day. I went to my primary care physician, and it was so long ago that we didn't even use that term back then, and he gave me a prescription. So every night, I take 5 mg. of Valium. Valium is one of the best muscle relaxants known and it obviously relaxes my facial and neck muscles just enough to help to relieve my TMJ. I have never taken more, or less, than the 5 mg. My son asked me if I thought I was addicted to the Valium. Well, 5 mg. is an extremely low dose and it's all I have ever taken for the last 15 years, but I told him that if I was addicted, I didn't care because it made such a difference in the TMJ.

It has also been my finding that you must go every year or two and have the bite guard adjusted. If you wear grooves in it from bruxing on it, your teeth will just get stuck in those grooves and pain will result. One interesting note is that I was going through these bite guards like they were candy before starting on the Valium but now I don't need a new one as often. I've only ground holes in a couple of them since I started on the Valium.

Are you a nightime grinder? My sister remembers when I was six years old and we shared a room that I drove her crazy grinding my teeth. It's definitely physiological and not just from stress.

Hope the information helps you. It is a very painful disorder and it won't get better without treatment. Good luck!

Re: describe the pain...

Paula on 3/14/02 at 13:18 (076428)

I was misdiagnosed with TMJ and the emergency room gave me too much pain medication before I got a proper diagnosis. I had trigeminal neuralgia. I even had a mouthpiece to put in my mouth when I slept because they thought I may have been grinding my teeth. Are you sure that is what it is? I went to several dentists to no avail. I would have 'spells' where the shooting pain was totally unbearable.

Re: Thanks Kathy

Valerie S on 3/14/02 at 13:37 (076429)

My husband has a script for valium, and I confess I have taken 1 or 2 over the last year for my feet and just the tension and depression ... they did help me sleep. Not that I take other people's prescriptions, of course! But I will mention this to the dentist too to see what he says.

Thanks for your input. I'm so tired of my face hurting all the time. I was reading on that website, and I guess this can be debilitating for some people, losing their jobs, being unable to eat or chew food at all, facial deformity... when I read that, I realized I am very lucky that it hasn't just been getting steadily worse over the last couple decades...

Good luck to you also...

Val.

Re: It's a dull ache that just won't quit...

Valerie S on 3/14/02 at 13:44 (076431)

Thanks Paula...

No, I guess I'm not sure that I have TMJ. I was diagnosed 12 years ago by an orthodontist and oral surgeon and a dentist... so I'm pretty sure. I don't have shooting pains that I can speak of though... just a constant dull ache in my jaw, which always feels tense and out of whack. Usually it just turns into a tension headache that won't quit. Other times the popping will bring tears to my eyes, it's so painful... when the jawache becomes a headache and the headache travels down my neck, that is the worst though...

Thanks for your input. I'll make sure to ask plenty of questions when I have my appointment on March 26. This dentist has a very good reputation, treating several dentists as patients... specializes in reconstruction and renovation or something... hee hee... my husband has terrible problems with his teeth... but that's a whole different ballgame there... hee hee...

I know that stress makes it worse... but I really cannot find a relaxed position ... always I am aware of it being tense and can't do anything about it...

Val.

john h on 3/15/02 at 09:08 (076493)

Paula: I think a daughter of a friend just had major surgery on her brain or at least somewhere near the brain stem for this condition. She was in surgery for 4 hours and for about a month after surgery had slurred speech and lost some muscles use on one side of her face. She slowly but surely recovered and is now well. She is about 43 years old. Is this not the condition that can produce sudden very bad pain in the area of the jaw? I think I have read that this is one of the most painful conditions out there. What are you doing about this? Is there any conservative treatment for the condition. The lady who had the surgery traveled to Pittsburg for the surgery where there is apparently some world class surgeon who treats this condition. Good luck with this--

Paula on 3/18/02 at 13:09 (076736)

Sorry it took so long to respond Yes, surgery can be quite risky. I was put on anti-convulsant medication that stopped the spells. I cannot describe the horror of the pain when it would hit. I took tegretol. It is a nerve problem and that helps relax them I guess.

Nancy N on 3/20/02 at 22:37 (077057)

My sister-in-law is a violinist and tells me that the kinesiologist she sees regularly works on her TMJ. I think he's given her something to do when it flares up so she can take care of it herself. This is very second-hand info, though, so research it before using it. Good luck.

Frances B. on 3/22/02 at 09:37 (077188)

The pain is a very sharp pain in the heel of my foot. sometime it is on the right and then it moves to the left. It hurts so bad that sometime I can only walk on the side of my foot. In a range fron 1 to 10 it is 10.

BrianG on 3/12/02 at 21:41 (076304)

Hi Val,

I wouldn't be too bummed out until you talk to your dentist. I've been through TMJ, and for me, the treatment was a custom made night guard that realligned my jaw. Took about a year. You could be looking at something as simple as that.

If anyone sugests surgery, get a 2nd and 3rd opinion. I'd say TMJ is alot like PF, put off the surgery as long as possible, lots of nerves in that area. Good luck

BrianG

Valerie S on 3/12/02 at 21:59 (076306)

Thanks Brian... I needed that reminder, as I was beginning to spin into the panic mode here... hee hee... A little knowledge can be a bad thing...

Val.

linda a on 3/12/02 at 22:36 (076308)

hello valerie ! i too suffer from TMJ . orthodontist gave me two choices because my jaw was out of alingnment ; 1. have it broken and wired shut for a couple of weeks or 2. have 8 teeth removed ( 4 wisdom + 4 side ) and wear braces for 4 yrs . well being chicken about having surgery ( 24 yrs at the time ) , i opted for door # 2 . now my sister definetly needs to have the surgery , but she can't afford it . did the TMJ go away ? NO . little bit less painful for the TMJ and my jaw is in alignment . yawning , chewing up meat , chewing gum , talking on the phone , and the big ' STRESS ' word ( tightening up those facial muscles ) all aggravate the problem . some dentist think that people who grind their teeth at night might benefit from a night mouthguard . my friend seem to think that it helped in her situation . i tried a inexpensive plastic ' u ' shape one ( not molded to my mouth ) , it kept falling out . my biggest problem is controlling the yawning . see your dentist for some advice . take care . linda (Ky)

Julie on 3/13/02 at 02:24 (076318)

Val, this is interesting to me, and I'd love to know what your new dentist says about it. Our dentist practises what he calls Whole Body Dentistry - which means that he looks for the relationships between what goes on in the mouth and what goes on in the rest of the body. He does a lot of work on re-aligning jaws, with some success, I gather. The next time I see him I'll ask him about TMJ.

I loved your quote! Just what we've suspected all along, eh?

Carmen H on 3/13/02 at 07:22 (076322)

That sounds a little like kinesiology Julie! My NST guy works on TMJ with much success as well.

Carmen H on 3/13/02 at 07:25 (076323)

My mother has TMJ from (get this crazy story) back in the 70's we were in the mall and she was walking very quickly we were in a hurry to get somewhere and she had on those old HIGH heels with the slick bottoms? You know NO traction at all? Her foot came out from under her on those slippery floors and she landed on her JAW. Literally her chin slammed down on the floor and she was sprawled on her stomach! How painful!!!!
Anyway she has been told a very important thing you can do is NOT CHEW GUM and stay away from caramels and things that make your jaw work harder.
Sounds trivial but it helps her stay relatively pain free.
:-)

Valerie S on 3/13/02 at 08:51 (076330)

Thanks Linda...

When I was 19, I was referred to an orthodontist and oral surgeon for a solution. They told me my top jaw was too small, and they were going to move all my teeth over (to undo what my childhood dentist did to try to make room for my teeth), break my upper jaw into 3 pieces and wire it shut for a year. We were actually going to go for it, but couldn't figure out how we were going to pay that huge bill for braces and surgery, so we put it off. Who knows if it would have helped anyways, from what I'm reading now.

This website claims that 90% of people seeking treatment are women in their childbearing years. Which doesn't mean that men don't have it just as much, but could have something to do with pain tolerance and the body's ability to produce endorphins to alleviate the pain. They also said that in baboons, they found estrogen being produced in the jaw joints of females and no hormones in the jaws of males... I thought that was interesting, too.

Interesting too that your sister has the same problem... congenital, I'll bet... I have four sisters, and none of them have TMJ problems... It can also be caused by injury and behavior, like you said... I think mine has been caused by the dentist moving all my top teeth to the side, altering my bite... or at least that is what they told me in 1990... I'm looking forward to meeting this dentist. My husband has seen him already. Apparently, he's one that other dentists go to when they have problems with their teeth. My husband said that the doc was massaging his jaws and moving his face around and stuff... so at the very least, I know he's not going to make me have my mouth wide open for a long time... ouch. hee hee...

Oh well, I'll just have to see what happens on the 26th and go from there.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Val.

linda a on 3/13/02 at 19:35 (076375)

that was some interesting facts valerie about the hormones . hormones affect so many different things, such as migraine headaches and the amount of serotonin levels available to the body . so, would you say that your jaw is in alignment or not , since the original denistry work ? growing up w/ 4 siblings our parents could not afford taking us to the dentist , especially w/ no dental insurance . when i finally got a job w/ good dental insurance i decided to go for it . insurance paid for $ 750 and i paid for $ 1,500 . at first i was a little embarrased over my age and having braces , then i started noticing all the older adults sporting them . my dentist is very careful that i don't open up my mouth to wide during the cleanings , but it usually aches anyway after a visit . do you live close to a teaching dental school ? i know here in louisville , ky . they offer dental services at the school for people who have insurance & don't have any ( usually cheaper than a regular dentist and you could setup a payment plan ). linda ( Ky)

Re: crazy story carmen

linda a on 3/13/02 at 19:54 (076377)

oh, it sounded so painful . my grandmother just had a nasty fall . she was talking to my cousin when she failed to see the first small step leading to the library . her rt eye was black-n-blue w/ abraisions on her nose and rt side of the face . looked like she was involved in a 'bar-room 'fight . grandmother would not have her face checked out by a doctor , so i only hope she did not do any other damage . yes --- chewing gum and biting into an apple is ' off limits ' for people who suffer from TMJ . i had a hard time giving up my gum ( i was the type who placed it on the bedpost ) . ha ha !!! i loved the zebra stripped gum w/ fruity flavors . linda (Ky)

Valerie S on 3/14/02 at 07:18 (076410)

Thanks for your response, Linda...

I would say my jaw is I guess out of alignment... it's like constantly changing... I don't know where it goes, and it is always tense, and I can't stop the popping ... sometimes it catches just right and hurts for hours. Other times, I can't open my mouth all the way... the rest of the time it's more like a tension headache. I try hard not to think about it, but then when I become aware of it, realizing that it feels like it's in a strange position, I move it around, but still can't find where it goes... I know this strain can't be good, since it's been hurting for so many years now...

I look forward to seeing what this new dentist has to say. I am hoping that something simple like the nightguard Brian talked about could help me too...

Thanks, Val.

Kathy G on 3/14/02 at 09:30 (076416)

Hi Valerie,

Well, first of all, I just love your quote! I was told by one doctor that I had fibromyalgia, after he insisted I had rheumatoid arthritis and was disappointed to learn I'd been tested for it twice and both tests were negative. When I asked him if he really believed that Firbromyalgia was a disease, he said, 'Well, we have to have some explanation for people like you!' My family has been trying to explain me for years and not because of some aches and pains I have!

As to the TMJ, I was diagnosed with it about 26 years ago. I have worn a night guard, designed by an orthodontist, ever since and it helps so much, it's unbelievable. I don't have the popping but I do have the tense muscles, facial aches, temple aches, stiff neck, headaches, etc. Sometimes I'm fine, other times it really bothers me. Sometimes I can relate it to a stressful episode in my life, other times not. Interestingly, during a particularly stressful period, my regular dentist prescribed 5 mg. Valium at bedtime. The difference was like night and day. I went to my primary care physician, and it was so long ago that we didn't even use that term back then, and he gave me a prescription. So every night, I take 5 mg. of Valium. Valium is one of the best muscle relaxants known and it obviously relaxes my facial and neck muscles just enough to help to relieve my TMJ. I have never taken more, or less, than the 5 mg. My son asked me if I thought I was addicted to the Valium. Well, 5 mg. is an extremely low dose and it's all I have ever taken for the last 15 years, but I told him that if I was addicted, I didn't care because it made such a difference in the TMJ.

It has also been my finding that you must go every year or two and have the bite guard adjusted. If you wear grooves in it from bruxing on it, your teeth will just get stuck in those grooves and pain will result. One interesting note is that I was going through these bite guards like they were candy before starting on the Valium but now I don't need a new one as often. I've only ground holes in a couple of them since I started on the Valium.

Are you a nightime grinder? My sister remembers when I was six years old and we shared a room that I drove her crazy grinding my teeth. It's definitely physiological and not just from stress.

Hope the information helps you. It is a very painful disorder and it won't get better without treatment. Good luck!

Paula on 3/14/02 at 13:18 (076428)

I was misdiagnosed with TMJ and the emergency room gave me too much pain medication before I got a proper diagnosis. I had trigeminal neuralgia. I even had a mouthpiece to put in my mouth when I slept because they thought I may have been grinding my teeth. Are you sure that is what it is? I went to several dentists to no avail. I would have 'spells' where the shooting pain was totally unbearable.

Re: Thanks Kathy

Valerie S on 3/14/02 at 13:37 (076429)

My husband has a script for valium, and I confess I have taken 1 or 2 over the last year for my feet and just the tension and depression ... they did help me sleep. Not that I take other people's prescriptions, of course! But I will mention this to the dentist too to see what he says.

Thanks for your input. I'm so tired of my face hurting all the time. I was reading on that website, and I guess this can be debilitating for some people, losing their jobs, being unable to eat or chew food at all, facial deformity... when I read that, I realized I am very lucky that it hasn't just been getting steadily worse over the last couple decades...

Good luck to you also...

Val.

Re: It's a dull ache that just won't quit...

Valerie S on 3/14/02 at 13:44 (076431)

Thanks Paula...

No, I guess I'm not sure that I have TMJ. I was diagnosed 12 years ago by an orthodontist and oral surgeon and a dentist... so I'm pretty sure. I don't have shooting pains that I can speak of though... just a constant dull ache in my jaw, which always feels tense and out of whack. Usually it just turns into a tension headache that won't quit. Other times the popping will bring tears to my eyes, it's so painful... when the jawache becomes a headache and the headache travels down my neck, that is the worst though...

Thanks for your input. I'll make sure to ask plenty of questions when I have my appointment on March 26. This dentist has a very good reputation, treating several dentists as patients... specializes in reconstruction and renovation or something... hee hee... my husband has terrible problems with his teeth... but that's a whole different ballgame there... hee hee...

I know that stress makes it worse... but I really cannot find a relaxed position ... always I am aware of it being tense and can't do anything about it...

Val.

john h on 3/15/02 at 09:08 (076493)

Paula: I think a daughter of a friend just had major surgery on her brain or at least somewhere near the brain stem for this condition. She was in surgery for 4 hours and for about a month after surgery had slurred speech and lost some muscles use on one side of her face. She slowly but surely recovered and is now well. She is about 43 years old. Is this not the condition that can produce sudden very bad pain in the area of the jaw? I think I have read that this is one of the most painful conditions out there. What are you doing about this? Is there any conservative treatment for the condition. The lady who had the surgery traveled to Pittsburg for the surgery where there is apparently some world class surgeon who treats this condition. Good luck with this--

Paula on 3/18/02 at 13:09 (076736)

Sorry it took so long to respond Yes, surgery can be quite risky. I was put on anti-convulsant medication that stopped the spells. I cannot describe the horror of the pain when it would hit. I took tegretol. It is a nerve problem and that helps relax them I guess.

Nancy N on 3/20/02 at 22:37 (077057)

My sister-in-law is a violinist and tells me that the kinesiologist she sees regularly works on her TMJ. I think he's given her something to do when it flares up so she can take care of it herself. This is very second-hand info, though, so research it before using it. Good luck.

Frances B. on 3/22/02 at 09:37 (077188)

The pain is a very sharp pain in the heel of my foot. sometime it is on the right and then it moves to the left. It hurts so bad that sometime I can only walk on the side of my foot. In a range fron 1 to 10 it is 10.