Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need Advice on casting before trying ESWT

Posted by Ardee W. on 3/13/02 at 09:40 (076337)

Thanks to everyone for their previous advice. This board has been very helpful to me in this 'journey'.

My question is, Should I consider casting before I try ESWT? I'm not excited about giving up 6 weeks that could be used for healing from ESWT. I had an xray a year ago that showed extreme inflamation and a heel spur. Since then, I have done all the exercises, icing, taping, resting, chiropractor treatments, ultra sound heat treatments, new shoes, shoe inserts prescribed and over the counter, heel pads, dolgit creme from Germany, night splint, Vioxx, (now trying Pancreatin Enzyme 4x instead of Vioxx since reading Scott's advice in book, but it certainly hasn't worked in 2 hours for any grade of relief for me) I have high hopes about feeling better for summer and playing with the grandkids.

What are the daily limitations I may not be considering of casting?

Also, do more people think Heel Raise stretches are harmful?

Also, also, has anyone else had success with taking Pancreatin Enzyme?

Sorry so long, thanks again.

Re: Need Advice on casting before trying ESWT

CatherineL on 3/14/02 at 16:34 (076441)

Hi,

Been suffering from PF for about 2 years now and have tried everything but ESWT, prolotherapy/triggerpoint injection, cast/walking boot.

Don't know the answers yet, but my feet have been better the last few weeks. The only change was medication- added flexril and doxycycline daily, so one of them is definately helping.

But, I went shopping last night, spend about 2 1/2hrs on my feet at the mall, and they were killing me. Had my hubby massage them last night, and everything hurt. Was afraid I'd done some harm. but they're much better today, not as good as before the shopping, but not as bad as a month ago.

So, the short-of-it is I'm at about the same point as you, so I don't know the answer. My preference would be the casting, since it is inexpensive and doesn't seem to have any ill effects. Although I haven't heard too much good about it as an effective treatment.

cl

Re: CatherineL

Ardee W. on 3/15/02 at 07:16 (076472)

Thanks for sharing. Yeah, it seems like my mind says, 'Lets do this and this and that today' and I have to readjust my thinking, because my foot won't cooperate with all those plans now. Last Wednesday, I spent the day with my daughter in law and three little ones under age of 3 going to stores and the mall. It was my idea in the morning and in the back of my mind, I think I knew I would suffer for it. I am getting more afraid of pushing it like that, because if I understand right, I am just reinjuring and reversing any healing that I might have had??

What shoes are you wearing? Heel pads? Inserts? Are you actively looking at ESWT now?

Thanks again!

CatherineL on 3/15/02 at 09:18 (076495)

Hi,

I change shoes throughout the day, but have spend almost $1000 on footwear the last couple of years, just trying to find something good.

I switch between footsaver-maryjane type for office, and birks at home and whenever else possible. I'm on my second orthotics and they're much better, but I've been wearing orthotics for about 1 1/2yrs now and although they feel comfy, I don't think I'm as steady on my feet anymore... I think the have allowed me to relax some of the muscles.

I've been looked at ESWT a few times over the last year, but we don't have this available locally, so not only is it expensive for the treatments, but I'd hafta fly there and stay at a hotel for a few days. So I'm prob going to get a walking boot next, if necessary. then if things aren't better by July, the family is traveling and going though a city that offers this, so that might be another option.

I just think that no matter what problems a person has, just keep trying to find help/answers, and keep trying new things.

Catherine

Ardee W. on 3/16/02 at 09:51 (076567)

You have suffered longer, but it seems we are at about the same point. I am taking Vioxx which takes edge off. Somedays, I just want to think about something else besides my foot! I'm sure you know.

I live near Missoula, MT and am really considering flying out to Dr. Zuckerman......I haven't decided about the cast/boot......Dr. Z advised to forego it and get the ESWT.

I overdid it again yesterday with the grandkids and daughter in law.....but I had so much fun....

keep us posted of your success and otherwise......! Happy weekend!

Re: Need Advice on casting before trying ESWT

CatherineL on 3/14/02 at 16:34 (076441)

Hi,

Been suffering from PF for about 2 years now and have tried everything but ESWT, prolotherapy/triggerpoint injection, cast/walking boot.

Don't know the answers yet, but my feet have been better the last few weeks. The only change was medication- added flexril and doxycycline daily, so one of them is definately helping.

But, I went shopping last night, spend about 2 1/2hrs on my feet at the mall, and they were killing me. Had my hubby massage them last night, and everything hurt. Was afraid I'd done some harm. but they're much better today, not as good as before the shopping, but not as bad as a month ago.

So, the short-of-it is I'm at about the same point as you, so I don't know the answer. My preference would be the casting, since it is inexpensive and doesn't seem to have any ill effects. Although I haven't heard too much good about it as an effective treatment.

cl

Ardee W. on 3/15/02 at 07:16 (076472)

Thanks for sharing. Yeah, it seems like my mind says, 'Lets do this and this and that today' and I have to readjust my thinking, because my foot won't cooperate with all those plans now. Last Wednesday, I spent the day with my daughter in law and three little ones under age of 3 going to stores and the mall. It was my idea in the morning and in the back of my mind, I think I knew I would suffer for it. I am getting more afraid of pushing it like that, because if I understand right, I am just reinjuring and reversing any healing that I might have had??

What shoes are you wearing? Heel pads? Inserts? Are you actively looking at ESWT now?

Thanks again!

CatherineL on 3/15/02 at 09:18 (076495)

Hi,

I change shoes throughout the day, but have spend almost $1000 on footwear the last couple of years, just trying to find something good.

I switch between footsaver-maryjane type for office, and birks at home and whenever else possible. I'm on my second orthotics and they're much better, but I've been wearing orthotics for about 1 1/2yrs now and although they feel comfy, I don't think I'm as steady on my feet anymore... I think the have allowed me to relax some of the muscles.

I've been looked at ESWT a few times over the last year, but we don't have this available locally, so not only is it expensive for the treatments, but I'd hafta fly there and stay at a hotel for a few days. So I'm prob going to get a walking boot next, if necessary. then if things aren't better by July, the family is traveling and going though a city that offers this, so that might be another option.

I just think that no matter what problems a person has, just keep trying to find help/answers, and keep trying new things.

Catherine

Ardee W. on 3/16/02 at 09:51 (076567)

You have suffered longer, but it seems we are at about the same point. I am taking Vioxx which takes edge off. Somedays, I just want to think about something else besides my foot! I'm sure you know.

I live near Missoula, MT and am really considering flying out to Dr. Zuckerman......I haven't decided about the cast/boot......Dr. Z advised to forego it and get the ESWT.

I overdid it again yesterday with the grandkids and daughter in law.....but I had so much fun....

keep us posted of your success and otherwise......! Happy weekend!