Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need Advice on casting before trying ESWT

Posted by Ardee W. on 3/13/02 at 09:41 (076340)

Thanks to everyone for their previous advice. This board has been very helpful to me in this 'journey'.

My question is, Should I consider casting before I try ESWT? I'm not excited about giving up 6 weeks that could be used for healing from ESWT. I had an xray a year ago that showed extreme inflamation and a heel spur. Since then, I have done all the exercises, icing, taping, resting, chiropractor treatments, ultra sound heat treatments, new shoes, shoe inserts prescribed and over the counter, heel pads, dolgit creme from Germany, night splint, Vioxx, (now trying Pancreatin Enzyme 4x instead of Vioxx since reading Scott's advice in book, but it certainly hasn't worked in 2 hours for any grade of relief for me) I have high hopes about feeling better for summer and playing with the grandkids.

What are the daily limitations I may not be considering of casting?

Also, do more people think Heel Raise stretches are harmful?

Also, also, has anyone else had success with taking Pancreatin Enzyme?

Sorry so long, thanks again.

Re: Need Advice on casting before trying ESWT

Julie on 3/13/02 at 10:41 (076347)

Ardee

My opinion:

If you can afford it, go for ESWT.

Most people here would agree that heel raise exercises (most weight-bearing exercise) is bad for PF.

Most people read all the boards, so you don't need to post the same message on three different boards. But it IS useful to post your any new message, on the same topic and within a few days, on the same thread as the previous ones and the responses, so that your recent 'history' can be seen at a glance.

Re: Thanks, Julie

Ardee W. on 3/13/02 at 14:29 (076359)

Have you had casting and/or ESWT? Hope something is working for you.

I don't quite understand what you mean about posting to same thread.

Thanks for advice and suggestions.

Julie on 3/13/02 at 15:51 (076362)

No, I've had neither. Rest, stable shoes with orthotics, Birkenstocks, not going barefoot, and taping resolved my PF within six months: I've been painfree for over a year now. My vote for ESWT was based on 18 months of reading the message boards. But if you decide to go for it, do find someone who has done lots of procedures over a period of time. (How can doctors who have done two talk about 'great results!?)

About posting on the same thread: I meant that if you start a thread (as you did yesterday on the ESWT message board with your first question) it's easier for people who want to talk to you if you post subsequent messages on the same thread. It's like an ongoing conversation and it means that people who want to say something to you don't have to look elsewhere to see what you said before. It just makes it easier, that's all, but don't worry about it. (You'll find that it's not easy to keep everyone's history in your head!)

I hope that's clear now, and I'm sorry if it wasn't before.

monte on 3/13/02 at 16:17 (076365)

Julie..can you write to me at my e-mail address and tell me about you situation with PF and how long you had it and where you felt the pain. Please.

monte on 3/13/02 at 16:19 (076366)

julie..my email is (email removed)

Julie on 3/14/02 at 02:30 (076404)

Monte, I'll reply here if you don't mind. I think it's helpful for new people who haven't heard all the 'stories' if reports stay on the board. Not that there's much to tell. I had a typical case of 'classic' PF. It began with my straining my back: a protruding disc impinged on the sciatic nerve and the result was PF. My pain was at the insertion point. It lasted five months, from August 2000 to January 2001. It was treated with all the usual conservative treatments, some suggested by my pod (who casted me for orthotics which have been very helpful) some learned here. Taping was especially helpful, as I've told you.

The pain was severe for the first three months, greatly limiting my walking and necessitating modifications to my yoga practice and teaching. Standing was terrible. But the situation began to improve in November, and by January it was 95% better. Now it is 99% better. I still get occasional 'twinges' which I accept as helpful messages, reminding me that I have a weakness and need to stay alert. I continue to wear shoes all the time: Birkenstocks, or my hiking shoes - North Face Targas - with the orthotics.
Except for special treats which I really cannot resist, like walking barefoot on a sandy beach if I'm lucky enough to be near one.

I hope this answers your question?

monte on 3/14/02 at 07:41 (076412)

Thanks again Julie. I tape with the 2 strip method, as you know. I had to stop using my orthotic because they would cause me pains everyday. I now have been using Blue Birk footbeds until my new orthotics come in. These Blue Birks are pretty good. I also bought a pair of NB MX841 sneakers and Ecco shoes. I am trying to find anyone who had PF pain throughout the whole bottom of the feet and got better. I need to hear that.

Julie on 3/14/02 at 08:09 (076413)

Monte, I wish I could be the one to tell you! But compared to most people here, I had a relatively mild case (though it didn't feel like that at the time). I hope someone else will be able to tell you what you need to hear.

Good wishes

Julie

Re: Need Advice on casting before trying ESWT

Julie on 3/13/02 at 10:41 (076347)

Ardee

My opinion:

If you can afford it, go for ESWT.

Most people here would agree that heel raise exercises (most weight-bearing exercise) is bad for PF.

Most people read all the boards, so you don't need to post the same message on three different boards. But it IS useful to post your any new message, on the same topic and within a few days, on the same thread as the previous ones and the responses, so that your recent 'history' can be seen at a glance.

Ardee W. on 3/13/02 at 14:29 (076359)

Have you had casting and/or ESWT? Hope something is working for you.

I don't quite understand what you mean about posting to same thread.

Thanks for advice and suggestions.

Julie on 3/13/02 at 15:51 (076362)

No, I've had neither. Rest, stable shoes with orthotics, Birkenstocks, not going barefoot, and taping resolved my PF within six months: I've been painfree for over a year now. My vote for ESWT was based on 18 months of reading the message boards. But if you decide to go for it, do find someone who has done lots of procedures over a period of time. (How can doctors who have done two talk about 'great results!?)

About posting on the same thread: I meant that if you start a thread (as you did yesterday on the ESWT message board with your first question) it's easier for people who want to talk to you if you post subsequent messages on the same thread. It's like an ongoing conversation and it means that people who want to say something to you don't have to look elsewhere to see what you said before. It just makes it easier, that's all, but don't worry about it. (You'll find that it's not easy to keep everyone's history in your head!)

I hope that's clear now, and I'm sorry if it wasn't before.

monte on 3/13/02 at 16:17 (076365)

Julie..can you write to me at my e-mail address and tell me about you situation with PF and how long you had it and where you felt the pain. Please.

monte on 3/13/02 at 16:19 (076366)

julie..my email is (email removed)

Julie on 3/14/02 at 02:30 (076404)

Monte, I'll reply here if you don't mind. I think it's helpful for new people who haven't heard all the 'stories' if reports stay on the board. Not that there's much to tell. I had a typical case of 'classic' PF. It began with my straining my back: a protruding disc impinged on the sciatic nerve and the result was PF. My pain was at the insertion point. It lasted five months, from August 2000 to January 2001. It was treated with all the usual conservative treatments, some suggested by my pod (who casted me for orthotics which have been very helpful) some learned here. Taping was especially helpful, as I've told you.

The pain was severe for the first three months, greatly limiting my walking and necessitating modifications to my yoga practice and teaching. Standing was terrible. But the situation began to improve in November, and by January it was 95% better. Now it is 99% better. I still get occasional 'twinges' which I accept as helpful messages, reminding me that I have a weakness and need to stay alert. I continue to wear shoes all the time: Birkenstocks, or my hiking shoes - North Face Targas - with the orthotics.
Except for special treats which I really cannot resist, like walking barefoot on a sandy beach if I'm lucky enough to be near one.

I hope this answers your question?

monte on 3/14/02 at 07:41 (076412)

Thanks again Julie. I tape with the 2 strip method, as you know. I had to stop using my orthotic because they would cause me pains everyday. I now have been using Blue Birk footbeds until my new orthotics come in. These Blue Birks are pretty good. I also bought a pair of NB MX841 sneakers and Ecco shoes. I am trying to find anyone who had PF pain throughout the whole bottom of the feet and got better. I need to hear that.

Julie on 3/14/02 at 08:09 (076413)

Monte, I wish I could be the one to tell you! But compared to most people here, I had a relatively mild case (though it didn't feel like that at the time). I hope someone else will be able to tell you what you need to hear.

Good wishes

Julie