Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

INSERTION POINT

Posted by RACHAEL T. on 3/13/02 at 19:13 (076370)

For those of you who are further along in 'healing process' - is the insertion point the 'last' place to actually heal? I am feeling less pain over the entire foot - but pain is still at insertion point. I am hopeful that this is a good sign & that the insertion point is the next place that will heal???? Please correct me & advise on this; I appreciate your input!

Re: INSERTION POINT

DR Zuckerman on 3/13/02 at 19:23 (076372)

How long has it been for you ? Are you limping in the am. Is the insertional pain only when you press on it.?

RACHAEL T. on 3/13/02 at 22:09 (076396)

Thanks for your reply....No, I do not limp in the a.m; nor do I limp thru the day. I have 'soreness' but not the extreme pain prior to my Nov. ESWT. But, there is insertional pain when I press in that area; pain is also worsened if I am on cement or do too much with my job, horsetraining. Presently, I am doing phys. therapy (iontophoresis) - I am hoping that this therapy may take me closer to 'painfree,' At the end of March, 2001, is when P.F. initially began - so PF & I have become 'close acquaintances ' over this past year!!! I am ready for Mr. P.F. to depart!! (-:

DR Zuckerman on 3/13/02 at 22:18 (076397)

Good.

It is going to take time. You still have healing going on. The soreness is gonig to take some time. Physical therapy is a very good idea. How long has it been for you so far.

RACHAEL T. on 3/14/02 at 10:06 (076418)

In ans. to your ? - Dr. Z.....it has been since March 2001 that my PF began & it has been since November 2001, since my first ESWT treatment......Prior to the ESWT, I had 9 cort. injections & tapings, & ultrasound.....& just last week I began phys. therapy - & it is just now, that the heel pain has popped back up - before that....I had overall soreness mainly....the heelpain reoccuring has me a bit worried - wondering if the stretching is too much....or if I just may have overdone it; or if this is normal realm of healing process. Thank you much for your response!

john h on 3/14/02 at 14:04 (076432)

Of course follow your doctors advice but many on this board have found that improper stretching and the wrong stretches can be 'VERY' counter productive. I have seen many post including my own that hanging on stairways on your toes and dropping down is a no no. Julie is sort of our resident expert on stretching and is a long time teacher of Yoga. She is a strong advocate of non weight bearing stretiching. When I was having physical thearpy for PF they had me doing some stretching that actually made my condition worse. I think if you sort of follow what your body tells you and that is if it causes pain do not do it might make some sense in this case.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/14/02 at 14:45 (076433)

May need a second treatment . I am sure your doctor has evaluated you to see if you need a seond treatment

Julie on 3/14/02 at 16:01 (076438)

Rachael, what stretches is your PT asking you to do?

I agree with John. If you've noticed that your pain has come back since you started the new treatment, it's probably due to over-stretching. Many doctors and physical therapists recommend weight bearing stretching for PF, and who am I to argue with them. BUT I've now heard too many stories of conditions worsening following the recommended stretches. I'd be careful, if I were you, and don't do anything that hurts you, whoever recommends it.

Rich on 3/15/02 at 09:40 (076502)

Thanks for your post...after dealing with PF in my left foot with success, my right foot started hurting. Once I went back to PT, the therapist checked out my left foot again and I swear I hadn't noticed anything but soreness till he touched the insertion point. Walking left me with only a dull 1 on the pain scale, but the tenderness is still there in that exact spot only. Take it slow and ease back into your activities. Good Luck!

DR Zuckerman on 3/13/02 at 19:23 (076372)

How long has it been for you ? Are you limping in the am. Is the insertional pain only when you press on it.?

RACHAEL T. on 3/13/02 at 22:09 (076396)

Thanks for your reply....No, I do not limp in the a.m; nor do I limp thru the day. I have 'soreness' but not the extreme pain prior to my Nov. ESWT. But, there is insertional pain when I press in that area; pain is also worsened if I am on cement or do too much with my job, horsetraining. Presently, I am doing phys. therapy (iontophoresis) - I am hoping that this therapy may take me closer to 'painfree,' At the end of March, 2001, is when P.F. initially began - so PF & I have become 'close acquaintances ' over this past year!!! I am ready for Mr. P.F. to depart!! (-:

DR Zuckerman on 3/13/02 at 22:18 (076397)

Good.

It is going to take time. You still have healing going on. The soreness is gonig to take some time. Physical therapy is a very good idea. How long has it been for you so far.

RACHAEL T. on 3/14/02 at 10:06 (076418)

In ans. to your ? - Dr. Z.....it has been since March 2001 that my PF began & it has been since November 2001, since my first ESWT treatment......Prior to the ESWT, I had 9 cort. injections & tapings, & ultrasound.....& just last week I began phys. therapy - & it is just now, that the heel pain has popped back up - before that....I had overall soreness mainly....the heelpain reoccuring has me a bit worried - wondering if the stretching is too much....or if I just may have overdone it; or if this is normal realm of healing process. Thank you much for your response!

john h on 3/14/02 at 14:04 (076432)

Of course follow your doctors advice but many on this board have found that improper stretching and the wrong stretches can be 'VERY' counter productive. I have seen many post including my own that hanging on stairways on your toes and dropping down is a no no. Julie is sort of our resident expert on stretching and is a long time teacher of Yoga. She is a strong advocate of non weight bearing stretiching. When I was having physical thearpy for PF they had me doing some stretching that actually made my condition worse. I think if you sort of follow what your body tells you and that is if it causes pain do not do it might make some sense in this case.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/14/02 at 14:45 (076433)

May need a second treatment . I am sure your doctor has evaluated you to see if you need a seond treatment

Julie on 3/14/02 at 16:01 (076438)

Rachael, what stretches is your PT asking you to do?

I agree with John. If you've noticed that your pain has come back since you started the new treatment, it's probably due to over-stretching. Many doctors and physical therapists recommend weight bearing stretching for PF, and who am I to argue with them. BUT I've now heard too many stories of conditions worsening following the recommended stretches. I'd be careful, if I were you, and don't do anything that hurts you, whoever recommends it.

Rich on 3/15/02 at 09:40 (076502)

Thanks for your post...after dealing with PF in my left foot with success, my right foot started hurting. Once I went back to PT, the therapist checked out my left foot again and I swear I hadn't noticed anything but soreness till he touched the insertion point. Walking left me with only a dull 1 on the pain scale, but the tenderness is still there in that exact spot only. Take it slow and ease back into your activities. Good Luck!