Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Questions for docs and everyone regarding physical therapy....

Posted by Crystal S on 3/15/02 at 01:51 (076461)

Hi everyone! It has been awhile since my last post and I thought I would check in and tell you all the latest news.For those of you that may not remember my previous posts or are new I will give you some history.I had a heel spur removal and a complete fascia release (I just found out that it was a complete release) on Oct 3rd,2001.The POD that did my surgery made an incision on the outside lateral portion of my left heel.I was not put in a cast or a cam walker,just an ace bandage.I was not informed of any side effects or complications regarding this type of surgery and I was allowed and encouraged to bear weight immediately.Well now my foot is totally messed up.I can not sit,stand,cook,clean or walk without extreme pain. The pain never goes away.My foot is numb and extremely sensitive all at the same time.I have shooting pain and pins and needles sensations alot.The surgery foot looks different than the other one and feels much different.Needless to say I do not see that doctor anymore and I have contacted a malpractice attorney.My new POD said that he has never seen anyone do surgery on that side of the foot and he doesn't agree with not using a cam walker or something and not being non weight bearing for at least 2 weeks.

Well I am now 5 1/2 months post op and things are still really bad.My new POD put me in a cam walker(finally) which Dr Z and Dr Ed had suggested months ago.I was supposed to keep it on for 3 weeks and then come back.Well I did but my doc was out of the country and I saw his partner.I really like this guy even better than him. He has started me on physical therapy as a last resort before we do repeat surgery.I started yesterday and it was very uncomfortable on the surgery foot but felt good on the other PF foot.So I was wondering if I should try to endure the pain and stick it out for the left foot or quit on that foot? I just keep thinking that if it hurts then you shouldn't do it right? By the time I got home I was in pain and limping.They want me to go 3 x a week for 2 weeks.The therapist said my feet are very tight but that the left is really bad.It has a lot of swelling and she described it as boggy and spongy and she said that there is alot of fluid in it.There is a remarkable difference between the 2 just by appearance.My POD thinks it is a reoccurance of the PF and excessive scar tissue and I may have an entrapped nerve due to where the surgery was done and scar tissue buildup. He really thinks that I have no other alternative but a repeat surgery. He mentioned actually removing a piece of the fascia to prevent it from growing back together.Is that usually done? He also said that due to it being a repeat surgery that I would be totally off of my foot for a minimum of 4 weeks for it to heal.He said that if we redo it that he is not taking any chances.So what is everyone's opinion? Do the repeat surgery and pray for a miracle or continue with therapy or what? The POD did tell me that if I could not continue the therapy then to give him a call and come back to discuss the surgery.I am scheduled to see him on April 2nd otherwise to see how much it has helped.I appreciate the advice that I have gotten and have read.Thanks in advance.

Crystal

Re: forgot to ad one more thing...

Crystal S on 3/15/02 at 01:56 (076462)

The cam walker has not helped at all.All it does is allow me a little bit more time on my foot.Say for example it might give me a few minutes more in the grocery store before the pain gets so bad that I need to sit down.Then by the time I do what I need to I am hurting just as bad as if I hadn't worn it at all.

Crystal

Julie on 3/15/02 at 02:57 (076466)

Crystal, I may be wrong, but my instinct re the PT is to say that if it hurts you it is probably making things worse. Also, what on earth are you doing on your feet in the grocery store for so long that your pain becomes intense?

You clearly got some bad advice about weight-bearing after your surgery, and you seem to suspect that that's what has messed your foot up. Don't you feel inclined to look around for another doctor and get a new view before you opt for another surgery? I would. Miracles happen, but as you know there have been enough reports of second surgeries that worsened matters to make you wary - as you are.

I'm so sorry things have come to this state, and I hope that you find the answer, one way or another, before too long.

Re: Questions for docs and everyone regarding physical therapy....

John k on 3/15/02 at 08:14 (076483)

How about a malpractice lawsuit against your first pod? This mother may have permanently damaged you and should be made to pay. Go to a board certified orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon and get a second opinion.

Tammie on 3/15/02 at 09:24 (076497)

Crystal, I will try again to post as for some reason it did not post. I am not a Dr. or even a expert on feet but I can tell you I have had surgery done. First I had the pf release with the spur that was last April then the end of Aug I had the tts release. I have seen a total of 3 pods 2 orthos and one primary. I thought the pain before was awful but honey let me assure you that pain can get WORSE!

First if i had to do all this again this is what i would change. First after the first surgery when the pain was bad I would have found someone anyone to hear me and treat me so that I could get some sleep and some pain relief. I would have not acepted a Dr. telling me that I did not need pain control. In his defense I will add I was leary of pain meds and I was trying to be the hero, I would NOT do it again.I cannot say if I had to do it all again that i wouldnt opt for the surgery because I would have had it most likly. I thought that pain was bad.I was told by many dr.s that results and healing could take up to a year and maybe longer.

The second surgery was to do the tts as that is what he felt was causing my pain , which in ways is funny as he kept ignoring the fact I was in pain even saying to me you look like you are tired, duh pain keeps you up.Well it is now March and the pain I once thought could be no worse I have been taught that indeed can get WORSE and indeed has done just that.

The last few Dr.s have told me I have had to much surgery to close together with not proper healing time now saying that I need a pain management Dr. while I a wait this I have the fun of thinking back of all the mistakes i made. They say they think I have RSD now and that I need a a surgery on my big toe but they wouldnt do it now at all. Not that i would let them at this point .

Let me touch briefly on the pain that is felt now, I believe when someone suffers pain for a period of time they also suffer emotionaly as well as physical pain . I am happy to say that I now take antidepressants and among them meds to help with sleep and pain being ultram . I must also say the ultram is nice but there are days it cannot help the pain of glass like feelings in my foot and the hot like flashes or the sometimes cold feeling that feels right down to the bone frozen. Even a heating pad takes time to take away the cold feeling . Pain now stops me in tracks it can and does make me feel sick to my stomache and at times I have to sit whereever I am as I feel I might pass out from the pain, often get clammy and that sweaty light headed feeling when the pain begins a out of control cycle. I have been told that I should keep active but not to active lol what a thing and treat pain . While I am awaiting my appt with pain management. I have no idea what life holds for me now. It has changed me and my life as I knew it drasticaly. I dont know if I should say thease things to you but if I can at least warn someone that things can get worse , to please think about it and get as may options first, maybe it will help someone. I know how it feels to want to rid the pain I know there are times you want to cut the foot off, I know that there are times like to pull the covers up and forget the world and pain. But I also know that things can change and that there are several things availiable that I never knew. Please just be careful , and I always was told that pain is not allowed during healing phase discomfort is ok but not pain so talk with your dr. about the Pt. take care and know that whatever it is you decide it is your right as it is your body and you live with it. Know that we will always be here for u! I hope I dont scare u or I have no intentions on swaying your thoughts just trying to help you see that it does not always have a good outcome and maybe you can learn from my mistakes. Take care! My thoughts and prayers for u .

Laurie R on 3/15/02 at 12:38 (076517)

Dear Crystal , Frist off I am really , really sorry this happened to you . I have never heard of using your foot right after surgery . Second you say your new doctor wants to do a repeat of your first surgery . Didn't you say your first doctor already did a full release ? Is the new doctor going to repeat this , or am I misunderstanding you ? PLEASE go to another doctor and get a second opinion .. I have something that is called RSD , I would not wish this on anyone . I will be having surgery soon for my PF and TTS my doctor is going to release both . I also have a fibroma Lump that has to come out ... It is right on my fascia wrapped around my FHL tendon ...

I have had 5 differnt doctor's give their opinion on my foot surgery . They all agree on what needs to be done.

I don't understand why your doctor did not put you in a cast or cam walker or a splint after your surgery . That was then and this is now , you still have many choices at this point , and you are in charge of your health care. I know you are in pain and have been through a lot , just get as much info as you can .....

My very best to you , Laurie R

Crystal S on 3/16/02 at 23:06 (076611)

Hi Julie,
Thank you so much for your reply.I absolutely agree with your post about second surgeries.That is why I was willing to try the PT first.I have tried to get another opinion but the orthopedic refused my case.I think she was afraid that she would get caught up in a lawsuit and that it is a tough situation.I never mentioned anything about a lawsuit but my guess is that she just assumed it.I am checking into another ortho but they want me to send them my records to review first.My guess is that they will turn it down too.I do not want more surgery but I am at the point of what do I do and where do I turn.Things could not be any worse short of having to be in a wheelchair.Which half of the time I probably need one.I try not to be on my feet much but it is impossible.I try to use the carts to shop but sometimes they are taken or are not working so what do you do? Go home or get your shopping over with. I have 2 kids too so being off of my feet is just impossible.That is why this is so hard.I can't do anything hardly at all with them.Thank you again for your kind words and I appreciate your advice.

Crystal

Crystal S on 3/16/02 at 23:13 (076612)

Hi John,
Thanks for the advice.I am doing just that.He is going to pay big time.I found out he has operated on numerous people and messed them up.I even spoke to a lady who sued him and they settled out of court.I have been told by a previous nurse of his that he is only interested in money and to find a new doctor.Then I found out that he was being sued several years ago by a lady in a drug treatment center for giving her drugs in return for sex.Real nice person huh? I am trying to find an ortho who is willing to help me.I will let you know what the lawyers say after they review my case.

Crystal

Crystal S on 3/16/02 at 23:36 (076618)

Hi Tammie,
Wow I hardly know what to say to you.You have been through the wringer huh? You have not scared me at all.I sure can relate to everything that you are saying though.I am lucky enough to have an excellent primary care doc who takes care of the pain meds for me.My Pod never even offers any. They did prescribed some ultracet for me but that was a joke.I might as well have taken an aspirin.Unfortunately the pain meds make me sleepy so I take nothing during the day and by night I am hurting bigtime.If I had known then what all I know now I NEVER would have had the surgery.I knew absolutely nothing about PF and heel spurs and surgery and complications. When I questioned the idiot that did my surgery all he said was that his success rate was about 75% but in a case like mine where we had exhausted all resources (which we had NOT) that it was much higher.He never told me that I could have numbness, nerve entrappment, scar tissue or anything. I trusted this man and I thought it was a simple procedure and I would be all better. It pisses me off so bad because I never had the chance to make an 'informed' decision. When you are hurting you just want relief and when he made it out like it was no big deal I believed him.I really appreciate your kind words and I will keep you informed as to my progress.Please do the same.I would like to know how you are too.Good luck with the pain management appt. I hope you get some relief and help.Take Care.

Crystal

Crystal S on 3/16/02 at 23:49 (076619)

Hi Laurie,
Well I am not quite sure what they want to do either to be frankly honest.On my last appt I asked about what would be done.He said that he would make an incision on the inside part of the heel because that is where the majority of the pain is and see what is going on.He said that it could be that the fascia has reconnected with scar tissue and that is a cause of the pain.Then he will open up the outside part of the heel where the last surgery was done and clean out all of the scar tissue and look for any entrapped nerves.So I would get 2 incisions this time.They have mentioned that it could be a reoccurance of the PF but that doesn't make any sense to me either.Maybe one of the docs could explain that if they read this.I have an area on the bottom of my foot that stays red and it is almost like a knot.You can see that it sticks up if you look at it from the side.It just doesn't look right.I really wonder what that is.I am so sorry about your trouble with the PF,TTS and RSD.I have read alot of your's and Tammie's posts and it is awful that you all have to go through this. They questioned if I had RSD too but I don't have most of the symptoms.Especially the hot or cold stuff.My foot is just extremely sensitive.It is like the nerves are screwed up.It is real sensitive to touch but numb all at the same time.If that makes any sense.That could be from nerve damage though I assume.I wish you the best of luck with your surgeries.I hope you get the relief that you deserve.I will keep following your posts to see how you are doing.Good luck and take care.

Crystal

Julie on 3/17/02 at 02:26 (076621)

Crystal, I'm appalled to learn that a doctor has refused even to look at you out of fear of getting involved in a lawsuit.

Where do you live? Mightn't it be worth travelling to see a doctor, perhaps one of those who posts here, to get an evaluation and an opinion that you could trust?

Crystal S on 3/17/02 at 16:00 (076658)

Hi Julie,
Yes it really upset me too that that doc wouldn't even give me a second opinion.I still have 1 more ortho to try and a few more Pods.Unfortunately I am in an HMO insurance (even though it is a good one) and I have to stay within my network.That eliminates being able to go elsewhere unless I paid for it which I can't afford to do.So I will keep looking.I appreciate your concern and I will keep everyone updated on my progress.

Crystal

Laurie R on 3/17/02 at 19:14 (076674)

Dear Crystal . I wanted to wish you the best . YOu have the right attitude , don't ever give up . You will find the right doctor that is going to help you . Please keep us posted , we really do care and we are here for support..... Laurie R

john h on 4/11/02 at 11:29 (079236)

Complete release! I would really be #$%^%%$# Crystal. some of the doctors have told me they do a release pretty much by feel unless they really open up your foot. this guy must have had an off day. one of my orthopedic surgeons tore her fascia completely loose from her heel doing some sort of activity. she is doing fine after several years but i have not read about anyone doing a complete fascia release.

Crystal S on 3/15/02 at 01:56 (076462)

The cam walker has not helped at all.All it does is allow me a little bit more time on my foot.Say for example it might give me a few minutes more in the grocery store before the pain gets so bad that I need to sit down.Then by the time I do what I need to I am hurting just as bad as if I hadn't worn it at all.

Crystal

Julie on 3/15/02 at 02:57 (076466)

Crystal, I may be wrong, but my instinct re the PT is to say that if it hurts you it is probably making things worse. Also, what on earth are you doing on your feet in the grocery store for so long that your pain becomes intense?

You clearly got some bad advice about weight-bearing after your surgery, and you seem to suspect that that's what has messed your foot up. Don't you feel inclined to look around for another doctor and get a new view before you opt for another surgery? I would. Miracles happen, but as you know there have been enough reports of second surgeries that worsened matters to make you wary - as you are.

I'm so sorry things have come to this state, and I hope that you find the answer, one way or another, before too long.

John k on 3/15/02 at 08:14 (076483)

How about a malpractice lawsuit against your first pod? This mother may have permanently damaged you and should be made to pay. Go to a board certified orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon and get a second opinion.

Tammie on 3/15/02 at 09:24 (076497)

Crystal, I will try again to post as for some reason it did not post. I am not a Dr. or even a expert on feet but I can tell you I have had surgery done. First I had the pf release with the spur that was last April then the end of Aug I had the tts release. I have seen a total of 3 pods 2 orthos and one primary. I thought the pain before was awful but honey let me assure you that pain can get WORSE!

First if i had to do all this again this is what i would change. First after the first surgery when the pain was bad I would have found someone anyone to hear me and treat me so that I could get some sleep and some pain relief. I would have not acepted a Dr. telling me that I did not need pain control. In his defense I will add I was leary of pain meds and I was trying to be the hero, I would NOT do it again.I cannot say if I had to do it all again that i wouldnt opt for the surgery because I would have had it most likly. I thought that pain was bad.I was told by many dr.s that results and healing could take up to a year and maybe longer.

The second surgery was to do the tts as that is what he felt was causing my pain , which in ways is funny as he kept ignoring the fact I was in pain even saying to me you look like you are tired, duh pain keeps you up.Well it is now March and the pain I once thought could be no worse I have been taught that indeed can get WORSE and indeed has done just that.

The last few Dr.s have told me I have had to much surgery to close together with not proper healing time now saying that I need a pain management Dr. while I a wait this I have the fun of thinking back of all the mistakes i made. They say they think I have RSD now and that I need a a surgery on my big toe but they wouldnt do it now at all. Not that i would let them at this point .

Let me touch briefly on the pain that is felt now, I believe when someone suffers pain for a period of time they also suffer emotionaly as well as physical pain . I am happy to say that I now take antidepressants and among them meds to help with sleep and pain being ultram . I must also say the ultram is nice but there are days it cannot help the pain of glass like feelings in my foot and the hot like flashes or the sometimes cold feeling that feels right down to the bone frozen. Even a heating pad takes time to take away the cold feeling . Pain now stops me in tracks it can and does make me feel sick to my stomache and at times I have to sit whereever I am as I feel I might pass out from the pain, often get clammy and that sweaty light headed feeling when the pain begins a out of control cycle. I have been told that I should keep active but not to active lol what a thing and treat pain . While I am awaiting my appt with pain management. I have no idea what life holds for me now. It has changed me and my life as I knew it drasticaly. I dont know if I should say thease things to you but if I can at least warn someone that things can get worse , to please think about it and get as may options first, maybe it will help someone. I know how it feels to want to rid the pain I know there are times you want to cut the foot off, I know that there are times like to pull the covers up and forget the world and pain. But I also know that things can change and that there are several things availiable that I never knew. Please just be careful , and I always was told that pain is not allowed during healing phase discomfort is ok but not pain so talk with your dr. about the Pt. take care and know that whatever it is you decide it is your right as it is your body and you live with it. Know that we will always be here for u! I hope I dont scare u or I have no intentions on swaying your thoughts just trying to help you see that it does not always have a good outcome and maybe you can learn from my mistakes. Take care! My thoughts and prayers for u .

Laurie R on 3/15/02 at 12:38 (076517)

Dear Crystal , Frist off I am really , really sorry this happened to you . I have never heard of using your foot right after surgery . Second you say your new doctor wants to do a repeat of your first surgery . Didn't you say your first doctor already did a full release ? Is the new doctor going to repeat this , or am I misunderstanding you ? PLEASE go to another doctor and get a second opinion .. I have something that is called RSD , I would not wish this on anyone . I will be having surgery soon for my PF and TTS my doctor is going to release both . I also have a fibroma Lump that has to come out ... It is right on my fascia wrapped around my FHL tendon ...

I have had 5 differnt doctor's give their opinion on my foot surgery . They all agree on what needs to be done.

I don't understand why your doctor did not put you in a cast or cam walker or a splint after your surgery . That was then and this is now , you still have many choices at this point , and you are in charge of your health care. I know you are in pain and have been through a lot , just get as much info as you can .....

My very best to you , Laurie R

Crystal S on 3/16/02 at 23:06 (076611)

Hi Julie,
Thank you so much for your reply.I absolutely agree with your post about second surgeries.That is why I was willing to try the PT first.I have tried to get another opinion but the orthopedic refused my case.I think she was afraid that she would get caught up in a lawsuit and that it is a tough situation.I never mentioned anything about a lawsuit but my guess is that she just assumed it.I am checking into another ortho but they want me to send them my records to review first.My guess is that they will turn it down too.I do not want more surgery but I am at the point of what do I do and where do I turn.Things could not be any worse short of having to be in a wheelchair.Which half of the time I probably need one.I try not to be on my feet much but it is impossible.I try to use the carts to shop but sometimes they are taken or are not working so what do you do? Go home or get your shopping over with. I have 2 kids too so being off of my feet is just impossible.That is why this is so hard.I can't do anything hardly at all with them.Thank you again for your kind words and I appreciate your advice.

Crystal

Crystal S on 3/16/02 at 23:13 (076612)

Hi John,
Thanks for the advice.I am doing just that.He is going to pay big time.I found out he has operated on numerous people and messed them up.I even spoke to a lady who sued him and they settled out of court.I have been told by a previous nurse of his that he is only interested in money and to find a new doctor.Then I found out that he was being sued several years ago by a lady in a drug treatment center for giving her drugs in return for sex.Real nice person huh? I am trying to find an ortho who is willing to help me.I will let you know what the lawyers say after they review my case.

Crystal

Crystal S on 3/16/02 at 23:36 (076618)

Hi Tammie,
Wow I hardly know what to say to you.You have been through the wringer huh? You have not scared me at all.I sure can relate to everything that you are saying though.I am lucky enough to have an excellent primary care doc who takes care of the pain meds for me.My Pod never even offers any. They did prescribed some ultracet for me but that was a joke.I might as well have taken an aspirin.Unfortunately the pain meds make me sleepy so I take nothing during the day and by night I am hurting bigtime.If I had known then what all I know now I NEVER would have had the surgery.I knew absolutely nothing about PF and heel spurs and surgery and complications. When I questioned the idiot that did my surgery all he said was that his success rate was about 75% but in a case like mine where we had exhausted all resources (which we had NOT) that it was much higher.He never told me that I could have numbness, nerve entrappment, scar tissue or anything. I trusted this man and I thought it was a simple procedure and I would be all better. It pisses me off so bad because I never had the chance to make an 'informed' decision. When you are hurting you just want relief and when he made it out like it was no big deal I believed him.I really appreciate your kind words and I will keep you informed as to my progress.Please do the same.I would like to know how you are too.Good luck with the pain management appt. I hope you get some relief and help.Take Care.

Crystal

Crystal S on 3/16/02 at 23:49 (076619)

Hi Laurie,
Well I am not quite sure what they want to do either to be frankly honest.On my last appt I asked about what would be done.He said that he would make an incision on the inside part of the heel because that is where the majority of the pain is and see what is going on.He said that it could be that the fascia has reconnected with scar tissue and that is a cause of the pain.Then he will open up the outside part of the heel where the last surgery was done and clean out all of the scar tissue and look for any entrapped nerves.So I would get 2 incisions this time.They have mentioned that it could be a reoccurance of the PF but that doesn't make any sense to me either.Maybe one of the docs could explain that if they read this.I have an area on the bottom of my foot that stays red and it is almost like a knot.You can see that it sticks up if you look at it from the side.It just doesn't look right.I really wonder what that is.I am so sorry about your trouble with the PF,TTS and RSD.I have read alot of your's and Tammie's posts and it is awful that you all have to go through this. They questioned if I had RSD too but I don't have most of the symptoms.Especially the hot or cold stuff.My foot is just extremely sensitive.It is like the nerves are screwed up.It is real sensitive to touch but numb all at the same time.If that makes any sense.That could be from nerve damage though I assume.I wish you the best of luck with your surgeries.I hope you get the relief that you deserve.I will keep following your posts to see how you are doing.Good luck and take care.

Crystal

Julie on 3/17/02 at 02:26 (076621)

Crystal, I'm appalled to learn that a doctor has refused even to look at you out of fear of getting involved in a lawsuit.

Where do you live? Mightn't it be worth travelling to see a doctor, perhaps one of those who posts here, to get an evaluation and an opinion that you could trust?

Crystal S on 3/17/02 at 16:00 (076658)

Hi Julie,
Yes it really upset me too that that doc wouldn't even give me a second opinion.I still have 1 more ortho to try and a few more Pods.Unfortunately I am in an HMO insurance (even though it is a good one) and I have to stay within my network.That eliminates being able to go elsewhere unless I paid for it which I can't afford to do.So I will keep looking.I appreciate your concern and I will keep everyone updated on my progress.

Crystal

Laurie R on 3/17/02 at 19:14 (076674)

Dear Crystal . I wanted to wish you the best . YOu have the right attitude , don't ever give up . You will find the right doctor that is going to help you . Please keep us posted , we really do care and we are here for support..... Laurie R

john h on 4/11/02 at 11:29 (079236)

Complete release! I would really be #$%^%%$# Crystal. some of the doctors have told me they do a release pretty much by feel unless they really open up your foot. this guy must have had an off day. one of my orthopedic surgeons tore her fascia completely loose from her heel doing some sort of activity. she is doing fine after several years but i have not read about anyone doing a complete fascia release.