Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

spurs of the calcaneus

Posted by Margo M on 3/15/02 at 07:55 (076475)

Dear Sir:

my x-rays show growth on the heel that looks like the wings of Mercury
I have been to 2 podiatrists: one wanted me to wear heel cushions in my shoe and the other wanted to operate. I understand the operation is major and consists of cutting the Achilles tendon, scraping off the growth etc.
Needless to say I am trying to avoid that at all costs. I found a certain shoe, a clog, which has no back and a very gradual heel and at first it was like a miracle, but of late I realize something has to be done, sooner
or later. I read about shock wave therapy and would like to know if you think this could be an alternative for my unusual problem.

thank you, Margo M.

Re: spurs of the calcaneus

DR Zuckerman on 3/15/02 at 15:22 (076534)

The use of ESWT for chronic insertional achilles tendonitis with or without calcification is very effective . This is an off label treatment for this condition in the USA . Used in Canade, Europe and other areas of the world all the time. We have used ESWT in over one hundred cases with effective resolution of pain

Re: spurs of the calcaneus

DR Zuckerman on 3/15/02 at 15:22 (076534)

The use of ESWT for chronic insertional achilles tendonitis with or without calcification is very effective . This is an off label treatment for this condition in the USA . Used in Canade, Europe and other areas of the world all the time. We have used ESWT in over one hundred cases with effective resolution of pain